Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 6 or 12 sided sockets?
coyoteboy

posted on 16/9/10 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
6 or 12 sided sockets?

Most sockets seem to be 12 sided, even halfords "professional" ones. And they work fairly well on most items, but I have had issues on older/rusted bolts/nuts so I tend to prefer 6 sided when I can get them, I can do with smaller sizes in 12 as they tend to require lower torque anyway. Problem is I was faced with NEEDING a 21mm 12 point due to a 12 point bolt head on the other half's suspension, so off I trot to halfords (don't know too many other places round here selling tools cheaply) and they have the one tool I need for £7. or a set of 21-32 for £22. As I need some large sockets I thought "might as well" and bought the set. The set come with a little note "12 sided for better torque transfer". Now this only applies to a 12 sided head surely, and even so the difference will be fairly minimal as most force occurs at the edges of the flats, not near the centre of them. So I'm in 2 minds.

Do you find 6 sided work better or 12? I'm never really too bothered with indexing problems as my ratchet has smaller increments than the 12 sided socket allows anyway, so I'm thinking for moving those stuck/rusty nuts/bolts. I've bought them now, but I figured I might as well ask to see opinions.

iank

posted on 16/9/10 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've only ever come across 6 sided impact sockets. Can't see how you'd get better torque transfer from a 12 sided socket.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

balidey

posted on 16/9/10 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Deep sockets are generally 6 sided too.
For general work I use 12, but only as thats what my usual set it. If I need a tight fit onto a rusted nut then I always go for my 6 sider.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

nick205

posted on 16/9/10 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
No real preference myself for general spannering.

If tackling a corroded/stubborn bolt I might be inclined to use an impact driver which in my experience are always 6 sided.

coyoteboy

posted on 16/9/10 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Me neither, that's why I found Halfords claim interesting (and possibly a little unfair unless you are using the sockets for only 12 sided heads!).
pekwah1

posted on 16/9/10 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have the biggest halfords socket set they offer. It has a combo of 6 side and 12 sided sockets.

I personally prefer the 6 side. Yes the 12's go on the bolt much easier, but on very tight applications, mainly on smaller sockets, i have found times that the 12 sides slip on the head of the bolt. Even with these newly rounded heads, the 6 sided's whip the bolt off a treat.

whitestu

posted on 16/9/10 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
6 sided for me on anything a bit rusty. Lidl do some good value 6 sised sets from time to time.
Strontium Dog

posted on 16/9/10 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
6 sided flank drive every day of the week! More torque than any 12 sided socket could ever apply, I wonder why they are called HalFrauds?
MikeRJ

posted on 16/9/10 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I'm never really too bothered with indexing problems as my ratchet has smaller increments than the 12 sided socket allows anyway

As you don't (or shouldn't) use a ratchet for loosening or tightening large fasteners, but rather a breaker bar, indexing can be a problem. You can take the socket off the square drive and turn it 90 degrees to get the same indexing as a 12 point socket, but it's a mighty pain if you have limited movement available and have to do this multiple times.

Bottom line is that both types of sockets have their own advantages which can useful in different situations, I'd prefer to have both available!

coyoteboy

posted on 16/9/10 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've never managed to break a ratchet mechanism I have to admit, despite abusing them! I didn't look closely, but I think the ratchet mechanism (replacement parts) in 'frauds is identical between the normal 1/2 driver and the 1/2 250nm torque wrench. Assuming I can't break the torque wrench ratchet with 3ft of leverage, I certainly won't break it on the normal 12" handle!

[Edited on 16/9/10 by coyoteboy]

russbost

posted on 16/9/10 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen hundreds of nuts/bolts rouned off with 12 sided sockets, never seen it happen with a six sided one tho' - have never really seen that a flank drive is better than a flat sided 6 point socket. I would say nearly all professionals use 6 sided unless there is a specific purpose for the 12 point variety

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Daddylonglegs

posted on 16/9/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
6-sided wins for me everytime. Get a much better grip and they can handle a slightly smaller 'in-between' type size (i.e. metric socket on an imperial bolt etc).

I find the 12-sided seem to round of really easily unless you spend a fortune on them.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Strontium Dog

posted on 16/9/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
O have never really seen that a flank drive is better than a flat sided 6 point socket.

Flank drive has little advantage on a perfect nut but has a hell of an advantage (something like 70% more torque on even a good nut ) when the nut is worn or damaged. I have been using Snap-on flank drives for nearly 30 years and I have never found anything to really compare. I've lost count of the rounded fasteners that I've easily removed with them. Probably only worth the cost for professional use though!

Edit
Er, I've no idea why this is in italics?!!

[Edited on 16/9/10 by Strontium Dog]

flak monkey

posted on 17/9/10 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
6 sided for almost every job, unless its in a really tight spot then 12.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

greggors84

posted on 21/9/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Always 6 points sockets as I almost always use a ratchet with them and even if you have to used a breaker bar then as said you can achieve the same effect.

As for normal spanners I have mainly 12 point as you can't just ratchet them and there is always the time when a 6 point spanner is going to be in the wrong place, I do have a few 6 pointers for small stuff under 5/16 and 8mm.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.