Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I4 to type 9
Arthur T wareing

posted on 20/9/10 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I4 to type 9

Has any one fitted type 9 to I4 engine and is anything required to do so. I prefer the type 9 to mt75. regards Arthur.
blakep82

posted on 20/9/10 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
erm, yes. ford fitted type 9 boxes to thousands of straight 4 cylinder engines....

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MakeEverything

posted on 20/9/10 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Suggest you do some reading before asking questions!! There is loooooads of info on what you are after already on here. The search function is on the top left of the toolbar.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

mrwibble

posted on 20/9/10 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
i think he might mean a duratec, i think that had a code name i4, in which case i reckon the answer is probably yes, with some fettling and a healthy budget. or perhaps the dohc sierra engine i4, which i think the consensus is not a great option, but is more likely to bolt straight to it as it would use the ford bolt pattern which didn't change untill the duratec he.

hope helps

fesycresy

posted on 20/9/10 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
I4 = crap DOHC that came after the pinto

Now I've also seen the Duratec HE with an I4 suffix, have a look here at wiki:

click me baby......

Have a look under names reference.

If it is a Duratec then you need a bellhousing from Titan / Yukspeed etc because its a Mazda engine.

Have a look for flak monkeys posts, he explains the clutch, fly wheels and more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

spiderman01980

posted on 20/9/10 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I4 is short for inline four, a straight 4 cylinder engine if it had H4 it would be a flat four cylinder like the subaru, V on v6 v8s and 12s and W like the bugatti and so on! not sure if all engine start with all those codes!
spiderman01980

posted on 20/9/10 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
like on fesycresy link it shows the range of engines and the 2.5L st/rs has I5 which has 5 cylinders inline!
mrwibble

posted on 20/9/10 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
i'm just going on the info on burton powers website. if you read that wikipedia link though, even the old kents they put in KAs are now "duratec" though :p
mcerd1

posted on 20/9/10 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrwibble
i'm just going on the info on burton powers website. if you read that wikipedia link though, even the old kents they put in KAs are now "duratec" though :p

I thought that was the 8v 'Zetec RoCam' that was rebadged as a duratec for the KA (its a cheap version of the zetec SE)
its all alloy so hasn't got much in common with kent block

-

mrwibble

posted on 20/9/10 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

I thought that was the 8v 'Zetec RoCam' that was rebadged as a duratec for the KA (its a cheap version of the zetec SE)

i beg to differ

Duratec 8v 60 PS (new renamed old Endura-E) Kent 1.3 L (79.3 CID; 1299 cc) –present OHV I4

ali f27

posted on 20/9/10 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Auther i4 rs 2000 engine bolts straight on duratec needs new bell housing about £200 no probs Ali
zilspeed

posted on 20/9/10 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

i beg to differ

Duratec 8v 60 PS (new renamed old Endura-E) Kent 1.3 L (79.3 CID; 1299 cc) –present OHV I4

Yes, but with an alloy OHC head.
If you were building a 1300cc car and wanted to use a Ford 4 speed, it might actually make sense, but I guess not.
It seems everyone needs a minimum of 150bhp in their half ton car these days to feel that it's even slightly quick.

snapper

posted on 20/9/10 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
If it is the old DOHC then either type 9 or MT75 will bolt straight up the new Duratec needs a bell housing, Rally Design do a purpose built one for around £200

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mrwibble

posted on 20/9/10 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote

i beg to differ

Yes, but with an alloy OHC head.
If you were building a 1300cc car and wanted to use a Ford 4 speed, it might actually make sense, but I guess not.
It seems everyone needs a minimum of 150bhp in their half ton car these days to feel that it's even slightly quick.

getting off topic here, all i was pointing out is that according to wiki ford now refer to all their engines, nevermind their heritage, as duratec, which is a bit like saying its an engine engine... all which is irrelevant because the method of doing so has succinctly been given above.

RAYLEE29

posted on 20/9/10 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman01980
like on fesycresy link it shows the range of engines and the 2.5L st/rs has I5 which has 5 cylinders inline!

Errm the 2.5 st engine is a 24 valve v6 isnt it? not an inline 5
Ray

hillbillyracer

posted on 20/9/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I4 has become the accepted term for the Ford DOHC engine used in the Sierra as well as being a description for the layout of any 4 cylinder in-line engine.
Google "Ford I4 engine" & you'll find plenty of info on it.

There is of course the possibility that some of you knew that & have deliberately misunderstood the original poster in order to take the mick.
Or am I just being a bit too cynical?

mcerd1

posted on 20/9/10 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RAYLEE29
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman01980

Errm the 2.5 st engine is a 24 valve v6 isnt it? not an inline 5
Ray

the 2.5 ST engine used to be a 24v V6, but now its a 20v inline 5 turbo (based on a volvo T5 I think)

but they are all called duratec's

-

RAYLEE29

posted on 21/9/10 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ooh, so ive learnt something new too.
didnt know that ta

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.