Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just got a massive discount on my premium
quinnj3

posted on 23/9/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Just got a massive discount on my premium

Hi Guys,

Just thought i'd let you know how I made a big saving on my tintop insurance.

My insurance never seems to be a small amount being in Northern Ireland but its even worse now as I have 6 points and a fault claim within the last 2 years. My wife also has had a claim in the last 3 years.

Last year I went with admiral who where expensive but the cheapest at £1300. They sent me a renewal this year of £1057. Again very expensive but after I did a lot of researching the best I could get was from elephant for £960. When I phoned up to purchase, the sales guy went through my details properly and the price went up to £1030. I told the guy I was with Admiral and that I didn't want to change for £20. To quote the sales guy ' You didn't tell me that you were with Admiral when you called, we are the same company.... your quote from Admiral is now £1004.'

The sales guy said this is still a very large amount, I see you have your wife on your policy would you be interested in a multicar policy. So he did the quote which brought my insurance down to £806 and my wifes down from nearly £600 to £438.

My insurance will start now and my wifes in November when her policy expires. Pro-rata she will only pay £390 this year.

In total we pay £1200 give or take a few £, we both have legal cover, hire car, our no claims bonus will grow separtely, we are insured as named drivers on each others cars and we both have DOC.

When looked at from another angle, if we were to go with separte policies and insured each other as named drivers, and wanted DOC etc the total cost would be between £1600 and £1800.

What ever way you look at it we saved £400 minimum this year on our insurance. I'm a very happy man.

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

BenB

posted on 23/9/10 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Yup. Going with multicar worked well for me too when I got my last tintop, everyone else wanted silly money for a 1.5Dci megane!! I rang up Admiral as I had my other tintop on with them and they switched to multicar. Saved quite a bit of dosh Nice!
quinnj3

posted on 23/9/10 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
yes and I also asked what would happen if I bought a weekend car. He said that he could possibly get me on some sort of introductory offer and get me even more discount!

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

phelpsa

posted on 23/9/10 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
We have 4 cars on a multicar policy. My dad's Discovery TD5 (no NCD), mum's Impreza STi, dad's 500 with me insured on it (19 yr old, 1 accident) and the 205 in my mum's name.

That little lot comes to a little under £1900, about £500 saving on doing them seperately. Adding the 205 to the policy actually reduced the price because they use a set discount for each extra car added.

If you have a couple of high cost insurance policies then it can save you a lot!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Brook_lands

posted on 23/9/10 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Opposite for me -

Best price individually.

Mine £250 (RAC)
Wife £200 (Shiela's Wheels)
Daughter £600 (Bell - are they not associated with Admiral?)

Individual prices from admiral

Mine £540
Wife £200
Daughter £750

Admiral multicar total

Wife and me £750

Wife daughter and me £1500

None of us has any claims, accidents or points and we are all fully comp with business use.

Never could understand this insurance thing and how there can be such a massive difference in cost for what is effectively the same risk.

eddie99

posted on 23/9/10 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brook_lands
Never could understand this insurance thing and how there can be such a massive difference in cost for what is effectively the same risk.

Don't get me started, my premiums on same cars vary day to day, week to week etc..

A car that was £500 to insure, is now £1500 and a car that was 1400 to insure, is now £600....

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
phelpsa

posted on 23/9/10 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brook_lands
Opposite for me -

Best price individually.

Mine £250 (RAC)
Wife £200 (Shiela's Wheels)
Daughter £600 (Bell - are they not associated with Admiral?)

Individual prices from admiral

Mine £540
Wife £200
Daughter £750

Admiral multicar total

Wife and me £750

Wife daughter and me £1500

None of us has any claims, accidents or points and we are all fully comp with business use.

They are only competitive if your insurance premiums are high, ie 'high risk'. Yours are very low. They don't offer much reduction for NCB which is probably why they're coming up quite high for you and your wife.

I can't find a single insurance company that is less than double what admiral will quote for me on normal / lightly modified cars.

[Edited on 23-9-10 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 23/9/10 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I enquired about multicar when I moved to Admiral for my tintop policy recently, since my daughter has her car insured with them too. It worked out more expensive to have self SWMBO, daughter and son on daughter's car plus self and SWMBO on my car than individual policies because somehow, even though the kids are not on my car, they are taken into consideration for the overall package. Don't understand it really, but it was cheaper to have separate policies - maybe because the kids are 20 and 18?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.