Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air compressor problems, can I fix it?
matt_gsxr

posted on 25/9/10 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Air compressor problems, can I fix it?

Hi there,

I have a Bambi compressor like this one

Technically it is on long term loan, but it was bought in error by a colleague, long and dull story....

Anyway, it is a pretty standard compressor, but it has a problem. I think it overheated a bit when I was spraying my car, and now the over pressure release valve seems to leak a bit. This depends on the angle at which the thing sits, and is sensitive to being slapped (hi tech I know).

So, here's the question. The instructions put the fear of God into me, suggesting almost certain death should I touch anything. Surely these are pretty standard parts and I can take it apart and fit a new over pressure sensor/valve?

It doesn't go over pressure, and the pressure vessel is fairly new. Presumably over pressure is the only hazard for something like this (apart from a little bit of 240v).

Thoughts appreciated. I am not going to get it serviced by the supplier as that is more than the cost of a new compressor.

Matt

[Edited on 25/9/10 by matt_gsxr]

MakeEverything

posted on 25/9/10 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Have you drained any water from it? You should be able to service the AAV (Relief valve) to a degree.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

matt_gsxr

posted on 25/9/10 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, I drain it occasionally, whenever I feel like dumping rusty water on the floor.

So, unplug, make sure pressure is down to zero, and then generally take apart and see what I have?

Presumably give it a clean, regrease with something appropriate and cross fingers?

thanks for your help on this,

Matt

adithorp

posted on 25/9/10 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Is it the sort of relief valve that has a pin sticking up through it? It could just be a bit of crap under the valve. Try giving the pin a tug with a pair of pliers. You'll get a blast of air and that might sort it.

adrian

ps. Insurance engineers pull the valve on ours everytime they inspect so yes, it is "relativly" safe to do.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

suparuss

posted on 25/9/10 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
nothing can possibly happen to you if you turn it off and empty it.
probably is crap clogging it up. my axminster compressor started leaking which turned out to be the air filter which had got sucked into the tank then out into the one way valve hence blocking it.

one wayt valve should be a simple case of taking it off, check it, clean it or replace it, put some ptfe on it on and put it back in.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 25/9/10 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I have just put my compressor on the mezzanine floor of my workshop. I relocated the over pressure valve, start stop switch and drain valve to ground level using appropriate hoses and connectors and cables.

Nothing to be affraid of if you're sensible, everything is unplugged and pressured down.

Links to my experiences removing and replacing parts from compressors. HTH

linky 1
linky 2

[Edited on 25/9/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

matt_gsxr

posted on 25/9/10 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
thanks chaps,

I wanted a sanity check on this.

Will attack it tomorrow.

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.