Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: buying a cat d car
andy o

posted on 26/9/10 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
buying a cat d car

hello all
if i buy a cat d write off,do i only need a log book or is there more to it than that?

doddy

posted on 26/9/10 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
as long as you have the full long book thats fine
make sure you hpi it your self to make sure its only a cat d and check all chassis numbers in detail as people use the for ringing

[Edited on 26/9/10 by doddy]

andy o

posted on 26/9/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
i have hpi report and dealer has no log book,they say i just go to post office and apply for log book ,seems to simple
big_wasa

posted on 26/9/10 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Should be fine if its a D, a C would need a vic check.
brookie

posted on 26/9/10 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
i got my self an damage astra turbo convertible 05 plate sold as an cat c got it fixed took it for it vic check and in the end it was not even on the reg as an cat c or cat d happy days made just over 2k on that car
steve m

posted on 26/9/10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
My last 3 cars have been cat d, and all bought from salvage companys, none came with a log book, visit to the post office, fill out a form, and new one arrives in the post 14 ish days later

[Edited on 26/9/10 by steve m]

andy o

posted on 26/9/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for your help.i have just bought a two year old alfa 159 with 19,000 on clock for 5k.it needs a bonnet and front bumper radiator intercooler u2u me if any of you can help with parts
thanks
andy

steve m

posted on 26/9/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
An Alfa !!!!

you will probably need an MOT when its roadworthy, even though it doesnt need one, as most insurance companys request it now, to verify that the car is roadworthy

I felt a riight pillock trying to book an mot on my 1yr3 month old mondeo earlier this year

Steve

GMPMotorsport

posted on 27/9/10 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
An Alfa !!!!

you will probably need an MOT when its roadworthy, even though it doesnt need one, as most insurance companys request it now, to verify that the car is roadworthy

I felt a riight pillock trying to book an mot on my 1yr3 month old mondeo earlier this year

Steve

I have done several cat d's and only MOT it if it needs one.

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 27/9/10 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
It is now an insurance recomendation that an MOT on the car even under 3 years old be mot'd to satisfy themselves it is roadworthy
my previous cars, rover 45 did not req one as i got it on the road around its 3rd bithday, so had to MOT it anyway
also my rover 75 was MOT'D at 2 years old
marks and sparks insurance policy

My current 2008 mondeo, with Swinton had to be MOT'd

The only way you could insure a car now, is not to tell them its a cat D, not a very clever move, as with any bump/scatch accident, it wil flag up to them anyway, and then your not insured

FWIW Swinton new my mondeo was a cat d, before i even mentioned it

Steve

scootz

posted on 27/9/10 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Speaking of insurance... this may sound bizarre, but some companies will take your money and not pay out in the event of a claim! Ask them at the time of taking out the policy that they DO cover Category 'whatevers' and then check the small-print when the documentation comes through just to confirm!

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.