Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vinyl wrap or paint
johnH20

posted on 9/10/10 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Vinyl wrap or paint

I have come across some impressive vinyl wrap jobs recently but on production cars that obviously have a paint finish underneath. However it has set me thinking that vinyl might be an option that is less labour intensive and hence cheaper than a conventional body spray job involving multiple coats and lots of rubbing down. I imagine the same level of surface prep would be required to achieve a satisfactory finish though.
Anyone with practical experience of doing this. What are the pros and cons? Would it really be cheaper? ( I am expecting a paint job including body prep to be £2k + )

brookie

posted on 9/10/10 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
i just got a few quotes for my nosecone and bonnet (mk indy)in lime green and they are comming back at around £500 and they want £350 for the back arches
Bitten hero

posted on 9/10/10 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
i had some quotes for my furore f1 complete car was approx 1200 quid. with the, scheme i am after, was bloody good.
loggyboy

posted on 9/10/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ive seen full car body wraps advertised for about £800, for a seven which generally has simpler lines and less surface area, I would expect that to be closer to £500. Plus the bonus with vinyl is you can chouse a base colour gel coat and then if you get bored of it, its easy to peel off, then start again. Not somthing I'd want to attempt as a home job.
interestedparty

posted on 9/10/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
With the full body stuff, they have CAD databases which have slihouettes of all production cars and vans, so it would certainly be easier for them to work out a scheme, print it and cut the material, so that might explain the lower price

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

brookie

posted on 10/10/10 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Ive seen full car body wraps advertised for about £800, for a seven which generally has simpler lines and less surface area, I would expect that to be closer to £500. Plus the bonus with vinyl is you can chouse a base colour gel coat and then if you get bored of it, its easy to peel off, then start again. Not somthing I'd want to attempt as a home job.

i wish, like i said bonnet nose cone and back arches total £850

Ivan

posted on 10/10/10 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey - things are expensive in England - was quoted less than £350 to wrap my whole Cobra in Satin black with Copper stripes using the best imported Vinyl.
interestedparty

posted on 10/10/10 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know what the raw material costs, thinking about a diy job here?

interestedparty

posted on 10/10/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
Anyone know what the raw material costs, thinking about a diy job here?

Quick look on ebay suggests less then £10 a metre for what claims to be professional quality material

I wonder how easy/difficult it is to apply, anyone know?

Dangle_kt

posted on 10/10/10 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
It's pretty straightforward. I wrapped a bike as a complete novice. Went pretty well and 100% better than the horrible paint job it had.

Curves are the big problem, and some edges can be tough.

You can apply it wet which is easy, but I found led to the edges not sealing 100% or dry, but if you get it wrong your stuffed.

Heat gun, silicon squeegee and lots of time and you will be fine. On big panels I'd guess having a mate round would help

loggyboy

posted on 10/10/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brookie
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

i wish, like i said bonnet nose cone and back arches total £850

These are the peeps I saw - ok theres VAT, but a cash job on a few panels must be fairly reasonable.

http://printempire.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72&products_id=172&zenid=dsll3u9l0i3vo0kuec0ud6jel4

[Edited on 10/10/10 by loggyboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.