Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: getting rid of adware
Bitten hero

posted on 9/10/10 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
getting rid of adware

hi all, got what i think is adware on pc,seems to have taken over my browsers,they have a sort of arrow type thing on them as well. its trying to get me to get anti virus softwere stuff (already have norton 360 on and up to date!!!!!)done a ccleaner run and it keeps finding stuff after a short while!!!!!! but will not let me into the web just says cannot display page help needed (in lay mans terms to as i a numpty) cheers gary
Dusty

posted on 9/10/10 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like scareware. Blackmail jobbie to buy their fake antivirus program. Download malwarebytes on another computer, put it on a memory stick and load into the affected computer. The run it. Should do the job.
Peteff

posted on 9/10/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I had to start in safe mode to run malwarebytes on my computer to get rid of one infection. It was warning that everything was trying to send my CC details to some imaginary website and blocking web access.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

speedyxjs

posted on 9/10/10 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I had this a few weeks ago. I managed to get rid of it by opening task manager straight away at start up (would let me do it if i let it properly load first) and ending all the suspicious looking applictions and then running malwarebytes.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

RazMan

posted on 9/10/10 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Security Tool seems to be a major PITA at the moment - I got it today and had to completely re-install Windoze

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bitten hero

posted on 9/10/10 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
just done the download and will try it now thanks so far
wilkingj

posted on 9/10/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
run Malware bytes in safe mode (boot up tapping the F8 key) aas it doent load much, and will probably not load the virus / adware.

Also tyr Windows defender. Again done in Safe mode.

Hope that helps.

EDIT:
This sort of problem is a good reason to do full backups regularly.

[Edited on 9/10/2010 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 9/10/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I assume this stuff like security tool is somehow legal or its owners would get done by whatever country they are in. It's just pure blackmail. As in 'I have control of your computer and it will be unusable till you pay me £20.' How is that allowed?
Job for the SAS. Sort with extreme prejudice. That might slow down the hackers.

britishtrident

posted on 10/10/10 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
With Malwarebytes to be 100% sure of clearing this type of infection you should run it in safe mode without networking with system restore turned off.

Run Malwarebytes starting with admin under each user name on the PC

To prevent re-infection enable user names and login passwords and resrtict everyday user accounts to limmited privillages.

[Edited on 10/10/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.