Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Radiator Grilles made using Hammerform spotted at Exeter
2cv

posted on 24/10/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Radiator Grilles made using Hammerform spotted at Exeter

Following on from my threads illustrating the Hammerform tequnique for making close to tolerance components I was interested to see these three grilles all of which incorporated Hammerform in their construction.

These three elegant radiator grilles were spotted at the Exeter Kitcar Show.

The Ferrari grille is very effective and not too difficult to make. Once the patterns for each leaf have been drawn up the regulation plywood can be cut to shape, sandwiching the steel in this case and the edge tapped down. The back edge is turned up to the correct angle and bolted to a backing plate; very simple but very authentic looking.

The second grilled made from aluminium has used Hammerform to form the surround.The horizontal and vertical slats have been slotted together. They had been TIG welded on the crossovers to stop them coming apart and a pair of vertical spacers keep the whole assembly rigid. Another grille which is easy to make but looks quite good I think.

The final grille, beautifully made and an absolute replica an Austin Healey 3000 is a very fine piece of work, totally handmade from stainless steel.
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

When I used to do a lot of CAD work, I'd look at a component and think how I'd go about drawing it. Nowadays I think how I might make it!

[Edited on 24/10/10 by 2cv]

[Edited on 25/10/10 by 2cv]

TheGecko

posted on 27/10/10 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thought I'd better add my vote of thanks here for all of your recent posts on metal forming. It's certainly given me the inspiration to have a go at a few things I thought may have been beyond me.

On the subject of the photos above - I'm planning a grille quite a bit like the Ferrari one but I must admit I'd never of thought to hammerform the individual leaves. My intent was to just cut them out of 3mm ali plate. Surely simpler all round?

Anyway, thanks again for all of your freely given information. I'll put up some pics of my own if and when I start swinging hammers.

Dominic

2cv

posted on 27/10/10 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
That's great Dominic, look forward to seeing your pics.

As I said right at the beginning, there is no right or wrong way to achieve the desired result, you just find the one that suits you.

[Edited on 29/10/10 by 2cv]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.