Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Megasquirt V3 - Gutted
MakeEverything

posted on 28/10/10 at 05:31 PM
Megasquirt V3 - Gutted

I got in my car at 10:00 today all excited at the prospect of getting the car running tonight.

I drove for 6 hours on a 300 mile round trip to collect my "New" megasquirt V3 from M-Tech. Nice guys, even made me a coffee.

The V3 they were selling me wasnt screwed together in the box, was used, and PLUS VAT! adding another £50 to the order.

So i bite the bullet as Matt said it was all tested and working fine, but when i asked him for a wiring diagram, he scribbled some notes on the back of my invoice.

I get home, still excited and looking forward to programming it. Set the constants, and change the wiring loom etc......

I now have a crank signal, but its not firing. I checked the HT Leads, settings and wiring and all is as i was instructed.

Then the magic smoke appears again.

I quickly unplug it all, and it seems that the high current ignition driver has overheated, but isnt damaged fortunately.

Then i look on Megamanual, and the wiring is different. It was just gone 6 when i tried "Matt's" mobile and it goes to voicemail.

He knows the urgency of getting this set up this week as i took the time to explain that the car is needed at a show at Alexandra Palace, on a charity stand.

So, can anyone here help me with a wiring diagram for the coil connections for a V3 board please?

I was told;

Pin 36 feeds Coil 1&4
Pin 4 feeds Coil 2&3
The PIP signal to the VR sensor instead of EDIS

Thats all i was told, but looking HERE the grounds are different and pin 4 isnt even mentioned.

All in all, a poo day other than seeing stone henge twice.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Rod Ends

posted on 28/10/10 at 05:40 PM
The name rang a bell!

www.msextra.com/doc/clones/index.html

quote:
Worst of the bunch though, has to be UK based M-tech Automotive.
They started out selling badly assembled Megasquirt kits.
Their very poor quality was a concern to brand image of Megasquirt so their supply chain was stopped.
However, they continued and are now using counterfeit circuit boards they have made - see below.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 28/10/10 at 05:45 PM
Oh brilliant.... got my MS2 off ebay turned out to be a MTech board inside. Didnt think anything of it till now

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

MakeEverything

posted on 28/10/10 at 05:59 PM
They are now making their own "V4" ECU.

When you speak to them on the phone, you get quite a good image of who it is your dealing with, but their workshop had 7 or 8 different unfinished "Customers" cars just sitting there. He even had a part build MEV sitting there with no cover on it.

A bit disappointed to be honest.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

omega0684

posted on 28/10/10 at 06:23 PM
you have just confirmed fumours that i have been hearing about M Tech, looks like Troy at Northampton will be getting my money then!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clairetoo

posted on 28/10/10 at 06:47 PM
I once dealt with Mtech..........an experience that was closely followed by my joining forums just to post threads on what a bunch of rip-off cowboys they were
Ask on just about any forum , and you will be told in no uncertain terms - they are not to be trusted in any way whatsoever , and to be avoided at all costs .
I know this is not what you want to read right now - sorry - but thats just how it is

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

perksy

posted on 28/10/10 at 07:24 PM
Sorry to hear of your problem/s

Linked this to the WSCC boardroom
Just in case anybody was about to purchase a Megasquirt ecu

MikeR

posted on 28/10/10 at 07:33 PM
Refund???

If you do go that route - you may want to try contacting trigger wheels. They do the microsquirt's for 300 quid. I believe they have stock - but please contact them as i got that impression from the web site.

interestedparty

posted on 28/10/10 at 07:36 PM
I think they have a tie-in of some kind with RoadTrackRace, the people who do some of the MEV stuff

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

clairetoo

posted on 28/10/10 at 08:06 PM
Refund ? ?
From Mtech ? ?

After something like four months of waiting , endless emails and promises of `free' upgrades , as well as countless missed delivery dates , I canceled my order and asked for a refund.............then demanded a refund.........then threatened court action to get a refund...........
And just after all that............the ECU I had ordered turned up - after I had got one somewhere else

I think the only way to get a refund out of those cowboys is to turn up with an angry mob armed with pick-axe handles.......unless you had the good fortune to pay by credit card ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

MakeEverything

posted on 28/10/10 at 08:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Refund ? ?
From Mtech ? ?

After something like four months of waiting , endless emails and promises of `free' upgrades , as well as countless missed delivery dates , I canceled my order and asked for a refund.............then demanded a refund.........then threatened court action to get a refund...........
And just after all that............the ECU I had ordered turned up - after I had got one somewhere else

I think the only way to get a refund out of those cowboys is to turn up with an angry mob armed with pick-axe handles.......unless you had the good fortune to pay by credit card ?

Debit card im afraid to say.

[Edited on 29-10-10 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

ashg

posted on 28/10/10 at 08:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Oh brilliant.... got my MS2 off ebay turned out to be a MTech board inside. Didnt think anything of it till now

ben i did say your board didn't look like an official one when you brought it up to me. also explains why the ignition circuit was a bit weird. like i said it should work.

richard give extra efi a call go for a 3.57 board and just swap your chip over should get you up and running pretty quickly

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

perksy

posted on 28/10/10 at 08:29 PM
Any use ? (bit down the page)

Sorry if it ain't

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=334589&start=200

ashg

posted on 28/10/10 at 08:49 PM
i wouldnt trust that. the second coil output is an additional circuit that has to be added and can be wired to any of several pins on the db37.

what high current driver is installed? if its vb921 it may struggle running a ford wasted coil pack. to sort it you can install bosch bip373's or just use the edis to do the ignition.

also measure the resistance on your injectors if they are 12ohm or above then you can run them directly. if they are around 2ohm you need to enable pulse width modulation.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

omega 24 v6

posted on 28/10/10 at 08:51 PM
Sorry to hear your grief mate. heard a lot od bad sh*t about mtech as well but never dealt with them.
A good place to look for info is here

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extra_Ignition_Hardware_Manual.htm

But IIRC you'll need to know if you have MS1 or MS11 and also there may be edis specific on board electronics to be done. (If so has it been done???)

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

perksy

posted on 28/10/10 at 09:37 PM
Wiring Diagram and Pin-outs

Thanks to Adam on WSCC

http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=3;t=85417;&#top

[Edited on 28/10/10 by perksy]

will121

posted on 28/10/10 at 10:00 PM
hell of a lot of info and links on extraEFI website inc video links, ive not brought one from him but got good feedback when i was considdering MS and think others have too.
MakeEverything

posted on 28/10/10 at 10:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
Sorry to hear your grief mate. heard a lot od bad sh*t about mtech as well but never dealt with them.
A good place to look for info is here

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extra_Ignition_Hardware_Manual.htm

But IIRC you'll need to know if you have MS1 or MS11 and also there may be edis specific on board electronics to be done. (If so has it been done???)

I think its an MS1 V3, built with high current drivers, for direct fire of the coil pack. Trouble is, i need to know which pin out to drive the two coils from!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 28/10/10 at 10:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Wiring Diagram and Pin-outs

Thanks to Adam on WSCC

http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=3;t=85417;&#top

[Edited on 28/10/10 by perksy]

Thanks Perksy, bit it doesnt list pinouts for the ignition coil? Also, Pin 24 says IGN but is the VR sensor.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

flak monkey

posted on 29/10/10 at 05:01 AM
The issue is this:

Unless you get a definative pinouts list from the supplier, or get someone who knows MS to pull the ECU apart, no one will be able to tell you the pin outs!

There are accepted conventions for ignition drivers, but they still vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

This is one of the issues with megasquirt - all the units from different companies are different in some way.

Coil drivers usually burn out because the dwell is set too high (should be 6ms on crank and 3ms on running).

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

daxtojeiro

posted on 29/10/10 at 06:00 AM
Hi all,
not being funny here, but WHY ohh WHY did you lot buy from MTech?? There are warning all over the MS forums, manuals and internet about MTechs fake MSs, they have been banned from buying MSs for years now due to very very poorly built MSs and shocking backup. I get one or 2 emails a week from people who have bought from them and who effectively now have an expensive door stop. We can't touch there ECUs as they are NOT made by us (megasquirt) they are a fake and therefore poor quality. Basically its fraud!

Whoever you buy from, ensure they are on the recommended suppliers list, that way you get a warantee, etc, and you can be assured that they are going to back you up, see the second question on my FAQs here: http://www.extraefi.co.uk/faq.htm

Richard, I spoke to you on the phone for a long time going over everything about your old MS trying to get you going. (I think it was you) I still dont think your old MS was faulty, if it was there is very little wrong with it as it kicked into life. But it was an old V2.2, which is old hat now.

Anyhow, lets hope theres some lessons learnt at least,
hope you get your money back,
Phil

[Edited on 29/10/10 by daxtojeiro]

MakeEverything

posted on 29/10/10 at 08:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by daxtojeiro
Hi all,
not being funny here, but WHY ohh WHY did you lot buy from MTech?? There are warning all over the MS forums, manuals and internet about MTechs fake MSs, they have been banned from buying MSs for years now due to very very poorly built MSs and shocking backup. I get one or 2 emails a week from people who have bought from them and who effectively now have an expensive door stop. We can't touch there ECUs as they are NOT made by us (megasquirt) they are a fake and therefore poor quality. Basically its fraud!

Whoever you buy from, ensure they are on the recommended suppliers list, that way you get a warantee, etc, and you can be assured that they are going to back you up, see the second question on my FAQs here: http://www.extraefi.co.uk/faq.htm

Richard, I spoke to you on the phone for a long time going over everything about your old MS trying to get you going. (I think it was you) I still dont think your old MS was faulty, if it was there is very little wrong with it as it kicked into life. But it was an old V2.2, which is old hat now.

Anyhow, lets hope theres some lessons learnt at least,
hope you get your money back,
Phil

[Edited on 29/10/10 by daxtojeiro]

Phil,

I didnt see ANY warnings in the manual about MTECH at all, and i dont visit the MS forums. It was only the post above that made me aware of it.

The unit i have is a Bowling and Grippo V3 board in a different case.

We did speak on the phone which i appreciate, but you were adamant that the problem was with my VR sensor, which i was 98% Confident that it was not. The V3 has proved this to be correct. As you say, the 2.2 is old hat, and i needed a replacement to get the car running this weekend, to get it ready for a charity event in February. Now it doesnt look like that is going to happen.

I went to MTECH (Physically) because they talked a good game and i wasnt aware of the issues raised in this thread. Also because they had one on the shelf to accommodate my urgency.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

daxtojeiro

posted on 29/10/10 at 09:28 AM
quote:

The unit i have is a Bowling and Grippo V3 board in a different case.

Hi Richard,
you had no spark at the plugs (which the MS doesn't control on EDIS) and no signal from the EDIS, so the diagnosis on the phone we came to was an EDIS module issue or the crank sensor alignment. Its very hard when the ECU isnt one of mine and neither is the loom, but to be honest, I couldnt see it being the ECU with the above faults, although it could be the ECU as well

Anyhow, Im afraid you dont have a genuine B+G board if its from MTech, they were banned from buying them years ago, so they fraudulantly made their own. Have a look here for more info on spotting fake boards:
http://www.megamanual.com/MSFAQ.htm#cft

This should mean you can insist on gettting a refund if you bought it as a MegaSquirt ECU.

Sorry I couldnt supply you with a genuine MS in time, I have a 2 week lead time due to demand Im afraid.
Hope you get this sorted,
cheers
Phil

beaver34

posted on 29/10/10 at 10:21 AM
how much does a setup like this cost? is it worth all the hassle or are you better using a system like omex that has a great customer service and backup
interestedparty

posted on 29/10/10 at 10:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
how much does a setup like this cost? is it worth all the hassle or are you better using a system like omex that has a great customer service and backup

The MS stuff is a good bit cheaper, but I think some of the value is in the challenge. Wouldn't fancy it myself, but I can see why other people would relish it.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.