Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ghosts
theconrodkid

posted on 5/11/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
ghosts

do they exist?
the reason i as is,a few weeks ago i was woken by a sniffing noise by my ear,just like my dog did but he died a few days before
then last night i woke with a start,there was a human shape standing by my bed,i jumped up and grabbed the knife i keep by the bed,turned the light on and had a wander round but found no-one.
this morning i rang my G/F,she told me she was talking to me about that time....she is 800 miles away

so do they exist or am i loosing the plot?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

carpmart

posted on 5/11/10 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Loosing the plot!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

omega0684

posted on 5/11/10 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
you mind playing tricks on you mate, don't want to pri but do you have any underlying worries at the moments. trying to sleep whilst having worrying thoughts usually leads to a bad nights sleep and your mind playing tricks on you

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 5/11/10 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Im sure they exist, and we have some one who lives at my house, quite often we have heard mumbling/muffled talking from either the hall, or small back bedroom

we have also had plates/bottles in the kitchen jump off the worktops and land in the middle of the kitchen floor (twice)

wife me and step son were all in the lounge
stepson freaked, and departed very quickley !!!

Ive had a couple of other encounters, and one was at work

Do i believe, yes,
do i expect othere to believe, no

My grandson 10, will not go upstairs on his own when its dark

Steve

marcjagman

posted on 5/11/10 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Ghosts are like god, you either believe or you don't. I believe in ghosts but that is due to personal experiences, usual thing I suppose, until see it, hear it etc it doesn't exist, but when you do experience something then you start to believe.
eznfrank

posted on 5/11/10 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Why was your girlfriend talking to you when you were 800 miles away?

P.S. Personally I'd swap that knife for a blunt object.

2cv

posted on 5/11/10 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
We live in a 16th century house and my wife and grandson and our dog have all experienced contact with what we would term ghosts. I think you have to be sensitive to have these experiences which is probably the reason that I've not had any contact.

[Edited on 5/11/10 by 2cv]

balidey

posted on 5/11/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
There's actually a really quick way to tell if your house is haunted......

It isn't

I'm one of those people who doesn't actaully 'believe' as such (being an engineer you have that sort of mind set) but I would serisouly 5h1t my pants if I did experience such 'contact'.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

pekwah1

posted on 5/11/10 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
to make you completely paranoid, you need to watch the film 'paranoral activity'....
Dave Ashurst

posted on 5/11/10 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Really sorry to hear about the old dog. Have you got another yet?
D

coozer

posted on 5/11/10 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
I believe, having experienced some activities that I cant explain.

But, being a bit atheist they may have, or not been our perception of 'ghosts'

I would say seeing as you where in sleep mode it was your mind playing tricks.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Dusty

posted on 5/11/10 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
I think your experiences which both start with waking suddenly are much more likely to be dream/sleep disturbances. If ghosts did exist why would they only exist at the moment you awake from deep sleep.
Personally I don't believe in ghosts, or yeti or bigfoot or gods. Sometimes wish I did. The world might appear less ridiculous.

Fozzie

posted on 5/11/10 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Yes they do ..... but that belief is due to personal experience........many of them ......

I do not expect anyone else to believe though...you need to have an 'experience' to be able to have an informed opinion.

I would love to think and believe that there is a rational and logical explanation.......and I expect that the psyche is far more powerful than we at present understand.

Just one little ditty ..... quite a few years ago when I was living far from my home town, and the only phone was a public kiosk 5 minutes walk away, I awoke in the night to see 'someone' standing over my daughters crib. The figure then sat on my bed and patted my arm ..... focusing in the dark, I could see it was my granddad.
He said nothing, but just smiled and carried on patting my arm. I looked at the clock, it was 1am.

The following morning I just had to phone home, to be told the news that my grandfather had passed away during the night at 12.50am.

A ghost or the psyche? who knows ....................... ?

I think we should have had this thread last weekend .....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

flak monkey

posted on 5/11/10 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie

I would love to think and believe that there is a rational and logical explanation.......and I expect that the psyche is far more powerful than we at present understand.

Fozzie

I think that sums it up nicely.

Its along the same lines as you can make yourself ill or better by thinking you are, the mind is very powerful indeed.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mookaloid

posted on 5/11/10 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have never seen a ghost or had any experiences which could be termed supernatural, however I can't believe that the only life forms that exist are the mammals, fish, invertebrates, birds etc which inhabit this planet.

So probably not ghosts but aliens from another dimension

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

adithorp

posted on 5/11/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a bad dream to me.

Swap the knife for a blunt instrument as said, but if you're having dreams like that I'd get rid altogether before you "wake up and defend yourself" only to find it was the girlfriend (when she's there) on the way back from the toilet... get another dog instead.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

contaminated

posted on 5/11/10 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I don't believe in ghosts as such. I have heard a theory about where all the energy goes from a body when it dies though and the possibility that a "fingerprint" of energy is left behind that others can pick up much later.

The other things I'd say (as someone who suffers from what is commonly known as Night Terrors) are:

1. Don't under estimate what are likely to be dreams - even when you think you're awake

2. Get rid off that knife - I routinely jump around the bedroom trying to protect my family from an invisible (and non existent!) foe! Having a knife would be an accident waiting to happen.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

Confused but excited.

posted on 5/11/10 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have an 'engineer's mind set' and have never been religious, never believed in ghosts, until...
My experience was 13 years ago, in broad daylight at 2:00pm on a sunny afternoon and shared with four other people. Totally rocked my logical world. Having said that it made that world a lot more interesting and a much happier place.
It also helped me to cope with the loss of my wife a eleven years later, after the initial insanity of grief.
So I guess we can't know for 100% certain until we croak ourselves, but for me personally I would be more than happy to go anytime, as death now holds no fear for me at all.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

scootz

posted on 5/11/10 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Another recommendation to get rid of the knife... one vivid dream of the wrong type and things could go badly awry (especially for someone sleeping next to you!)!

As for ghosts... my Dad is convinced they exist and although I generally believe everything that man tells me, I've still got to say that their existence is highly improbable for me!

I've had a few experiences during the night where I've been convinced that something 'strange' was going on, but on deeper reflection I've come to the conclusion that I've been dreaming in the REM phase. Most of my dreams centre around historic 'highs and lows' experienced during my lifetime and I'm often left in a confused state about what was real and what was not until I've fully awoken.

Recent trauma's (like your dog dying ) are classic subjects for invoking razor-sharp dreams.

I've also experienced a few things like Fozzie described with her Grandad, but I've put that down to a strange sort of deja-vu complex reinterpreting or reorganising my dreams.

That said... I would be (much) more inclined to consider that there might be some prospect of a 'spirit world' before I would consider there being the existence of a great creator and constant god.

It's Evolution Baby!

deezee

posted on 5/11/10 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
With an estimated total number of dead people on earth as 115,000,000,000 and a current population of 6,800,000,000 means there are crudely 17 dead people / ghosts for every live person. With 17 dead people around everyone, that should give a total of 425 dead people in my factory on the trading estate and Heathrow Airport should have 3,060,000 dead people every day.
Statistically we should have witnessed a single spiritual event and had persons to witness it or caught on CCTV. So I find it questionable that ghosts only ever seem turn up (like UFO's) at night, in the dark and rarely to groups of people. By rights, cities, which have been populated the longest and also operate 24hrs a day should see regular occurrences, in front of numerous witnesses.

Human eyes are mechanically simple are cannot see magical extra dimensions or detect other forms of energy. Personally I thinks its psychological.

Rek

posted on 5/11/10 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote

I was just reading the post by Fozzie and just as Im reading the wind blew. the blinds here at work behind me clattered and I jumped 6 feet accross the room....

blakep82

posted on 5/11/10 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
my grandad used to work at tilbury docks. he was walking past a window to an office at work, looked in and saw a man laying on the floor, he turned away and called for help, when he looked back the man was gone, and the only way out of the room was through a door next to the window.
he hadn't just woken up, he was at work and it was broad day light. i don't know how people can say it 'only' happens at night when people just wake up.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

scootz

posted on 5/11/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Crikey Blake... if I had a pound for every time I'd done a double-take and what I thought I'd seen turned out to be something completely different, or nothing at all but a trick of the light, then I'd have at least £143 under my mattress

It's Evolution Baby!

blakep82

posted on 5/11/10 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Crikey Blake... if I had a pound for every time I'd done a double-take and what I thought I'd seen turned out to be something completely different, or nothing at all but a trick of the light, then I'd have at least £143 under my mattress

he said he saw a man laying there, clear as anything. well, clear as an actual man laying there really lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Fozzie

posted on 5/11/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think 'it' just 'happens' at night either .......
but that's another story............or........... 20

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.