Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Red Bull – Own Goal or Not
orton1966

posted on 8/11/10 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Red Bull – Own Goal or Not

Red Bull – Own Goal or Not

Can’t make up my mind whether Bed Bull have been clever or stupid. Yes they have won the championship (constructors) and Vettel is back in contention but had Webber won he would only of needed to finish ahead of Alonso (and in the points) in the final race to lift the title.

As with all things there are lots of permutations; Bed Bull 1-2 Alonso 3rd gives Webber the title if we he wins but doesn’t work for Vettel if he wins but a Red Bull 1-2 with Alonso further back can give either of their drivers the title dependent on who comes first.

Whilst I see that Vettel has the momentum he is and was behind his team-mate in the standings, conspiracy theory or not, I don’t think Red Bull would be playing it quite the same if Vettel’s had come into this past race ahead of Webber.

I guess we’ll see how things are next race, if the contenders are running - Vettel, Webber, Alonso will Vettel yield the lead to give Webber the title!

Ignore or correct any of the above if my maths are wrong!

designer

posted on 8/11/10 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
It's called racing, red bull are doing it right.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
orton1966

posted on 8/11/10 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
So Better To Be A Heroic Failure?

quote:
Originally posted by designer

Come on, yes it’s racing but it’s also a team sport. Ferrari must be laughing their rocks off and so will everyone else if neither Red Bull driver lifte the title after the final race.

One of my points was whether they would be playing so “fair” if there driver standings were reversed

Tipster69

posted on 8/11/10 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer

I concur, 100% - but only if ALL the teams involved play to the same set of rules/morals.

If Alonso wins the title because of the 7 point switch around, next to nobody (myself excluded) will look at the history books and say "Yeah, but they cheated he never won it fairly".

Personally, I think Red Bull made a humongous boo boo yesterday.

Let me ask you this though. I seem to recall in the 2007 season Alonso saying prior to the final race of the season something along the lines of "He would help Raikkonen to win the title over Hamilton". Fast forward to next week on the final lap, Lewis is leading the race. Webber is 2nd and Alonso is 3rd. If it stays like that Alonso would win the title. Do you think Lewis "may" develop a minor fault that would allow Webber through and keep Alonso in 3rd handing the title to Webber?.

That would just about make my year if he did.

pdm

posted on 8/11/10 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
I know you are meant to win a championship by winning it yourself but I do think Vettel is being a bit selfish.....

He's 14 points back even after yesterday - that's a hell of a mountain against someone of Alonso's ruthless calibre.

Because of result yesterday it's not in Webber's own hands.

^^ I think you're right in that some people don't like Alonso - look at Algeursuari yesterday.

I just so hope that Webber does it - knock the smile of the spoilt kids face he has to call team mate.

speedyxjs

posted on 8/11/10 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Did any of you hear Christian Horner mention that Webber was nursing 'engine issues' when he was interviewed at the end of the race? As much as i am getting tired of Webbers constant 'they all favour Vettel' thing, that did make me think for a moment. I wonder if Webber will suffer 'engine issues' again next weekend?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

l0rd

posted on 8/11/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
My CONSPIRACY THEORY

Vettel has used all his engines and he will have to race next week with an engine of high mileage.

Webber has plenty of engines available and all of the sudden yesterday his engine was running too hot and should be limited on revs.

Was this true or did the team lie to Webber so he didn't attack Vettel?

My question is, how does the driver know if this is true or not. His team will let him know of any problems but what happens when problems are not there.

Hmmmm something stings

b16mts

posted on 8/11/10 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Button will take out both red bulls in the first bend, then Massa will stuff into Alonso coming out of the pits on lap 23,

Hamilton will go onto win the World Championship.

Its obvious isnt it!

who says you can't drive a kit car when you're 6'5"?

carpmart

posted on 8/11/10 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by b16mts
Button will take out both red bulls in the first bend, then Massa will stuff into Alonso coming out of the pits on lap 23,

Its obvious isnt it!

I like this scenario!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

speedyxjs

posted on 8/11/10 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
quote:

Its obvious isnt it!

I like this scenario!

Me too, shame its sooo unlikely.

More likely is Alonso thinking Hamilton has no chance of winning so takes out both Red Bulls and himself in turn one leaving Massa to win until Massa suffers engine failure leaving Hamilton to win

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

mrwibble

posted on 8/11/10 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
quote:

Its obvious isnt it!

I like this scenario!

Ditto

Vettel is the better driver for me. Webber's getting desperate for the championship, after a not stella career, Vettel can relax a little which always helps performance. I reckon Red bull will want to keep Vettel for the forseeable future, Webber? well he's already shown his true colours with his remarks to Christian Horner over the radio...

Surrey Dave

posted on 8/11/10 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
If you are feeling cynical then you would agree with, Webber's comments about Vettel being the favoured one for the title, and it being inconvenient for the team that he leads the championship, but unfortunately he has probably been too outspoken, the powers that be don't like that. F1 is very much a dictatorship ,you tow the line or you are out!

Earlier in the year Mr Ecclestone publicly backed Vettel, we will never know the behind the scenes politics,but we seem to have a lot of German drivers in F1.

But it would appear that they will let Webber win the title if it becomes impossible for Vettel to do so, I believe they would not have let Webber win in Brasil if the situation was reversed.

Christian Horner has done very well and is obviously very bright and talented and an excellent politician (i.e. slippery two faced git!)

Johneturbo

posted on 8/11/10 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
As much as i'd like to see Lewis win the title it's unlikely now

i think the next best thing would be to see lewis over taking alonso for second while webber is leading to give webber the title

alonso can't win a championship if his team mate is allowed to win races, that was evident while he was at mclaren

designer

posted on 8/11/10 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
"Button will take out both red bulls in the first bend, then Massa will stuff into Alonso coming out of the pits on lap 23,

Hamilton will go onto win the World Championship"

Didn't know Bernie Ecclestone was on here!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
greggors84

posted on 8/11/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Alot of people are talking about Alonsos hollow championship if he wins by 7 points or less. Not that I really like Alonso but I wonder if Vettel is in the position on Sunday that if he gifts Webber a place (which im sure will happen) so Webber can win the WDC, will as many people see it in the same light?

Is it the same or is it different because I doubt Red Bull will blatantly tell him to move over on the radio and there championship is more obviously at stake (although you could say that Hockenheim was the turning point for Alonso).

Im looking forward to seeing Hamilton on a nothing to lose mission, not much chance of winning it but hopefully he will lose in style!

[Edited on 8/11/2010 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Angel Acevedo

posted on 17/11/10 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Vettel won, didn´t he?

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.