Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: attaching pop studs to body work
jabbahutt

posted on 8/11/10 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
attaching pop studs to body work

Morning All

I've seen several photos where it appears that normal pop studs have been used to attach hoods etc to the car. How is the male part of the pop stud attached to the body work? any photos of the attaching method much appreciated.

Thanks
Nigel

Grimsdale

posted on 8/11/10 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
usually rivet, but you either need a spacer (such as a small bolt) to ensure you can pull against the rivet, or shape the end of your rivet tool so it fits inside the press stud.
eznfrank

posted on 8/11/10 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I used some small machine screws and a bit of locktite,
JeffHs

posted on 8/11/10 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
I used pop rivets with a home-made mandrel to set them, but be aware that it is very likely that the rivet head may
still foul on the inside of the female fitting. I've had a lot of trouble with mine - some of the poppers are almost impossible to latch. I didn't use countersunk rivets so I ended up drilling most of the rivet heads away with an 8 mm bit to create the necessary clearance.

Alan M

posted on 8/11/10 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I had and still have problems with mine, hard to pop on and off etc. There must be a good solution and I'm not certain it's pop rivets.

wicket

posted on 8/11/10 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I turned the head of the c/sink pop rivet down until it was a snug fit in the stud housing.

[Edited on 8/11/10 by wicket]

Bluemoon

posted on 8/11/10 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan M
I had and still have problems with mine, hard to pop on and off etc. There must be a good solution and I'm not certain it's pop rivets.

Use tenax fasteners much better IMHO (but not cheap!)

BenB

posted on 8/11/10 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
As said it's difficult to get the rivets to pop off cleanly (I used some v small washers as a spacer) and as with others I've had problems with a few poppers.... I think it's the nature of the beast with pop studs... I wouldn't use them next time...
Mix

posted on 8/11/10 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Hope I'm not teaching people to suck eggs - but - if you are using pop rivets to secure things to fibre glass you need to put a suitably sized washer, (referred to as a burr) on the tail of the rivet to act as a load spreader. This should also have the effect of causing the mandrel to break when the rivet 'pulls up' against the burr and hence not protrude through the rivet head and, in this case, not interfere with the closure of the female fastener.

Regards Mick

snapper

posted on 8/11/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
You can use peel rivets, these work the same as pop rivets but peel back leaving 4 legs, still need some washers behind.
I used countersunk machine screws and nylocks

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.