Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: driving to MOT without IVA
rodgling

posted on 11/11/10 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
driving to MOT without IVA

In a recent post, I mentioned driving to MOT without IVA and found that most people here think it's illegal. I double-checked with VOSA, who sent me the following email:

Me: I have just finished building a kit car but have not yet done MOT, IVA or registration. I have insurance. Is it legal for me to drive to a pre-booked MOT before IVA/registration?

VOSA: Provided the vehicle has insurance then you are able to drive it to a pre-booked MOT test. If it should fail you can take it to have the immediate repairs carried out and then straight back to the test station for re-test.

so it seems clear that it is legal to do this. HTH.

blakep82

posted on 11/11/10 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
but you cannot have an mot carried out on a car with no registration and chassis number, it is NOT legal. you can't even drive to vosa AFTER IVA to have their inspection done.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

russbost

posted on 11/11/10 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
You can certainly carry out an MoT on a car using the chassis no rather than reg no., & you should already have a chassis no. if you're at the point of IVA'ing.
TBH unless you have serious doubts about your own ability in building the car, I don't see a lot of point in getting an MoT prior to IVA as they are looking at substantially different things - you also need to be careful that you don't get your car "in the system" for MoT's as you then may be asked for MoT when you come to tax the car after one year when you shouldn't need MoT for 3 years.
All IMHO of course

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
loggyboy

posted on 11/11/10 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds like a generic answer from a operative who just reads/writes from a script. The above text is correct for a standard road car which is currently untaxed/mot'd.
The idea is to take it to the MoT garage to see if it 'would' pass if it was being tested, for peace of mind.
You wouldnt want to put an MOT on the car even if you could as that would mean you would need to get a yearly Mot from that date, rather than getting the 3 years grace for a car that is 'new'ly registered.

EDIT:

Largely beaten to it...

[Edited on 11/11/10 by loggyboy]

matt_gsxr

posted on 11/11/10 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

VOSA: Provided the vehicle has insurance then you are able to drive it to a pre-booked MOT test. If it should fail you can take it to have the immediate repairs carried out and then straight back to the test station for re-test.

If you have this in writing and you book the test in advance, then even if it turns out that you shouldn't have done it you have a very strong defence.

Just do it.

Matt

rodgling

posted on 11/11/10 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
You can do an MOT with only a chassis number.

The MOT is useful for getting someone else to give the car a quick once-over before IVA, and giving it a test drive before IVA - otherwise you have no opportunity to do this (unless you have access to a private road). If you have made a mistake, it's cheaper to find out at MOT than IVA.

In terms of the 3 year MOT exemption, this does not apply to newly registered Q-plates, so there's no reason not to do it before IVA rather than after, since you have to do it anyway.

This thread shows emails from VOSA and the DVLA which state that Q-plates (and old age-related plates) don't get the three year exemption: VOSA say "If you have a Q registration then you need an MOT immediately."

http://viatron.websitetoolbox.com/printthread?id=218800

tony-devon

posted on 11/11/10 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
its a strange and confusing ol world

Q plate reg a bike or trike and its no MOT for the first 3 years, but we have MSVA

thank god for that, Im desperate for a 4 wheeled build project, but think I will stick to 2 and 3

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 11/11/10 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
It is not legal to drive an ungegistered, untaxed car on the road except to and from a REQUIRED examination or to/from a subsequent place of repair. MOT is not required, therefore it's illegal to drive there.

DVLA don't know what they're talking about with this. If they were right then why don't they let you drive to them for thier inspection... they won't (and have even called the police when people have). They've also sworn blind, on occation, that an MOT is required in addition to IVA in order to register; Thats how well some of them understand thier own rules.

The IVA test is far different to an MOT anyway so will miss many of the things that cars fail IVA for. Edges radii, noise, light visability angles, construction, brake balance (brake test is completely different to MOT), speedo calibration,mirror position/view....

MOT is due on all cars 3years from date first registration (on the v5). When DVLA send out tax reminders on Q or age related plates under 3 years old, it has "MOT required" because there is no provision in the computer to deal with kits. You just need to present the tax form along with the V5 and form V112 (declaration that MOT is not required) at the post office. Doing a test now though does mean you need one every year.

As for just going and having a "MOT check" and not put through the system... Imagine you go for your "MOT check" and get stopped by the police on the way home. They ask why your driving with no registration and you tell them. They then ask for the MOT and you don'thave one... We'll sieze the car then sir, thank you!

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Andy D

posted on 11/11/10 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Wnen I SVA'd my car years ago.. An age related plate had to have an MOT and SVA. The same bods did the MOT after the sva inspection. Has the IVA lost the MOT requirement?
x_flow57

posted on 11/11/10 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with everything adithorp says, do not drive to a test that is not required.

quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
Wnen I SVA'd my car years ago.. An age related plate had to have an MOT and SVA. The same bods did the MOT after the sva inspection. Has the IVA lost the MOT requirement?

How did VOSA staff at SVA know the would get an age related plate?
I think they had you over as MOT is not needed.

I passed SVA and registered with an age related number in Feb. '09 and have now taxed it 3 times (6 Months at a time) online with no need for MOT.

HTH.
Nick

adithorp

posted on 11/11/10 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
There wasn't one at SVA and there still isn't with IVA. Whether there was a requirement earlier that was dropped later I don't know.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Hellfire

posted on 11/11/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Direct.gov.uk suggests that; You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

Therefore, if you have adequate insurance cover and the test is pre-arranged, you have done everything necessary to comply IMO. If you're concerned about being stopped by the Police, then just get a receipt after the MOT test to prove you've been there.

Phil

Edited to add - AFAIK, there is no required date for an MOT. If I purchased a brand new vehicle, I could have it MOT'd the same day if I had pre-arranged it. I don't have to wait until it's three years old.......

[Edited on 11-11-10 by Hellfire]

Andy D

posted on 11/11/10 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

How did VOSA staff at SVA know the would get an age related plate?

I had the car and paperwork inspected by the local DVLA guy before the SVA. He made the age related plate decision.

edit to add, my SVA was 2001, things may have changed I guess..

[Edited on 11/11/10 by Andy D]

snapper

posted on 11/11/10 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Go on take your car for an MOT
You don't need one in law before going to IVA
You will probably cause no end of problems for yourself and need an MOT every year there after
All the advise on this forum and many others says don't do it,
But if you really want to go ahead.
You can lead a horse to water etc.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Snuggs

posted on 11/11/10 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
The "fact" that Q plates must have an MOT after 1 year is a MYTH

An MOT is required 3 years from the date of first registration whether it has a Q, an age related or a new reg.

A lot of confusion is caused by useless staff at DVLA who don't even know their own rules

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

carpmart

posted on 11/11/10 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Go on take your car for an MOT
You don't need one in law before going to IVA
You will probably cause no end of problems for yourself and need an MOT every year there after
All the advise on this forum and many others says don't do it,
But if you really want to go ahead.
You can lead a horse to water etc.

That's a very 'direct' post! Are you on a 100% red meat diet at the moment?

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Richard Quinn

posted on 11/11/10 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snuggs
The "fact" that Q plates must have an MOT after 1 year is a MYTH

An MOT is required 3 years from the date of first registration whether it has a Q, an age related or a new reg.

A lot of confusion is caused by useless staff at DVLA who don't even know their own rules

Which in turn causes confusion at the Post Office. I had the "computer says no" response on line and the same response in a main Post Office. When I started waving my V5 and the V112 the girl went to fetch the manager. The manager happened to own a beach buggy and a Westie so that speeded things up a little!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.