Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DSLR Zoom Lens
austin man

posted on 13/11/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
DSLR Zoom Lens

Can any one let me know whether this is a worthwhile lens to purchase. Looking for a bit of zoom for my Sony A200 specifically for track days

MINOLTA AF 100-300mm F54.5/5.6 LENS FOR ALL SONY DSLR on eBay (end time 22-Nov-10 14:38:57 GMT)

or is this one a better option

AUTO FOCUS 28-300mm F4/6.3 LENS FOR ALL SONY DSLR A700 on eBay (end time 09-Dec-10 21:12:02 GMT)

[Edited on 13/11/10 by austin man]

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

NigeEss

posted on 13/11/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd go for the Minolta one. Although it has a lesser range of zoom it has wider
aperture on max zoom.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Mark G

posted on 13/11/10 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I was just about to say the same.

You want a wide aperture really as if its a dark day or you're shooting in poor light you can use a slower shutter speed. Also will put a better depth of field on the image at max zoom.

looks pricey though

My 'Motorsport' lens is a Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6. I've attached a sony version of what I have below.

personally and if you're quick I'd go for Tamron A17 AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro for Sony,... on eBay (end time 13-Nov-10 21:04:24 GMT) but it ends in 5 mins. Check it fits your camera.

[Edited on 13/11/10 by Mark G]

austin man

posted on 13/11/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
there appear to be plenty for the SLR that need an adapter and apparently you have mess about to get te focus correct what are your thoughts on these PS missed out on the lens u put a link too

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Mark G

posted on 13/11/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother unless you have auto focus, Reason being if you track a car around a corner you won't get it as accurate as the camera will with auto focus. 300mm is a good length, as sony DSLR's have a crop factor of 1.5x so when fitted to your camera the lens will have an 'adjusted focal length' of 105-450mm!

I haven't had the chance to use my lens at a circuit yet but I have used it whilst out and about to get to grips of it and I'm pretty impressed with. The auto focus motor is a little on the noisey side, but tbh if you're at a motorsport event you probably won't care anyway. It also has a macro function which although not the reason I bought the lens, it is pretty cool!

austin man

posted on 13/11/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
are we saying this one would be okay then

TAMRON AF 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro SONY MINOLTA AF on eBay (end time 24-Nov-10 10:04:17 GMT)f

Mark G

posted on 13/11/10 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
yea, that looks like the same one.

If you're not in a rush you could see how Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 DI LD Marco1:2 A175 62mm Sony on eBay (end time 21-Nov-10 18:51:02 GMT) ends up. Brand new lens, sold from a private seller. A few days to go but you could well get it for half the price of buying new.

[Edited on 13/11/10 by Mark G]

MikeR

posted on 13/11/10 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Before you buy, please read reviews. Some of the cheap lenses suffer from image problems far more than others. When i bought my 50 - 250mm zoom (canon) i read all the reviews and ended up buying the most expensive budget lens because its image quality was the highest of the bunch. At the end of the day, its the quality of the image from the lens that matters otherwise you've got an expensive paper weight.
austin man

posted on 13/11/10 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Are the minolta lenses good buys then ? my current lens is standard Sony lens 70mm

MikeR

posted on 13/11/10 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
it really depends on the actual lens, not the manufacturer.

My Canon 50 - 250 has good reviews, the canon cheap 70-300 has poor reviews. The canon 'L' series lenses have amazing reviews (and are most definately not 'cheap'.

DPreview may do lens reviews, can't remember. its a while since i've been buying kit.

bigruss

posted on 13/11/10 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35111629@N05/sets/72157623869163821/

These were taken with the cheapest sony 75-300 lens on a sony a200.

This one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Alpha-75-300mm-F4-5-5-6-Lens/dp/B000GT11H6

Sony quite often do cashback around christmas, so it might be worth looking out for that.

jacko

posted on 14/11/10 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
What size /type lenses do the pro's use at say F1 races ?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark G

posted on 14/11/10 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
They use anything between 300 - 500mm lenses, only they cost between £1500 - £6000+ per lens!

You really can find a lens for almost any budget, and you get what you pay for. Long and the short of it is that the better the lens, the better the image will be. Personally I bought a cheaper lens because I'm not going to be making any money from my images so I can't warrant spending any more on a lens which will be my least frequently used. If (hopefully when) I get better with my camera and when I'm used to using a 300mm lens I may decide to upgrade.

[Edited on 14/11/10 by Mark G]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.