Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insulating Gas Meter Box
mistergrumpy

posted on 16/11/10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Insulating Gas Meter Box

Similar to the other thread. I get bad condensation in my house, particularly in my bedroom where it stinks. The problem is that the gas meter box is recessed into the wall and by my calculations, the back of it is touching the cavity side of the inner wall meaning that I get a really cold patch on the wall and when there's heat in there the wallpaper goes mouldy and peels. So, I've packed the meter box out with cavity fibreglass insulation slab stuff. I can't see anything wrong in this but wondered what the masses thought?
LBMEFM

posted on 16/11/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Not a problem, but your issue is as the wall is so cold. condensation is forming. I would suggest you baton the wall, install "Cellotex" insullation between them, overboard with 12.5mm foil backed plasterboard. You can then either skim plaster or cover with lining paper and paint to choice. I do it successfully for clients all the time. Barry
MikeR

posted on 16/11/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Instead of insulating behind the gas meter, why not insulate the door? You'll then have a insulated door, air void, inside wall. Hopefully that lot will be equal to a normal wall.

Only issue i could see is if the insulation some how interferes with the meter or has a spark risk.

mistergrumpy

posted on 16/11/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
The wall can't be insulated inside because it's a solid wall then the cavity then the external wall. The box comes through the first wall and touches the cavity side of the inner wall.
The distance between the box door and the meter is very minimal so I packed behind it and sandwiched a piece between the meter and door so we'll see how it goes. I didn't think it'd do harm but it just felt wrong to do it. Anyway why is the box so big? The meter is lost inside it!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
the technical term is cold bridging......zilspeed is the expert on it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.