Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT distance
scutter

posted on 20/11/10 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
MOT distance

I've got a Saab I need to MOT, but the oil in the exhaust hasn't burn off yet from the dead turbo.

Being tight, I don't fancy replacing the system including the cat which is swamped.

How far away can I book the MOT, to give the car a good run before the test? The car is insured, declared SORN and the MOT runs out in 8 days.

I'm in Oxfordshire and was thinking of booking it into the station near my parents in Norwich next weekend, is this taking the pi**.

ATB Dan.

[Edited on 20/11/10 by scutter]

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 20/11/10 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I looked into this when I wanted to bring my freshly imported Bongo up from Southampton. I contacted VOSA who confirmed that there was no mileage limit. I drove from Southampton to a pre-booked MOT in Whitby!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 20/11/10 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
I would leave it idleing for a good while to get very hot, and book an mot a few days earlier than requrired and just go the "long way" giving it a good thrash on the straight bits !!

steve

hillbillyracer

posted on 20/11/10 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
If you've got 8 days MOT left then tax it now & that gives you a week to give it a few good runs out to clear the system a bit.
Mark G

posted on 20/11/10 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
But he has no tax on the car so can only drive it to the test station.

As above there is no limit for distance to a station. If you are stopped by the police, they might not be happy about what you're doing but they actually can't do a thing about it.

Just make sure it is booked in at the garage and that you have their number in the car with you just in case you need to call them.

matt_gsxr

posted on 20/11/10 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Norwich and back is £70 in fuel. There must be a cheaper way surely.

What about a big blow torch blowing through the exhaust. I know you have some nice kit down your way. Can't you drive up and down the runway for an hour or so?

Matt

LBMEFM

posted on 20/11/10 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
With regards to driving to MOT tests, I believe its from the place of storage to the test centre, it is booked in at, by the most direct route.
steve m

posted on 20/11/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
But how can the Police know were the place of storage is ?
impossoble for any one to prove once your out on the road ??

steve

scutter

posted on 20/11/10 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've had it idling for 30 min to try and raise the temps but no good. At the mo i've lined up a secondhand exhaust for the MOT then a bomb up and down the M40 should do it.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

40inches

posted on 20/11/10 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Try Cataclean, someone on here recommended it a while ago.
morcus

posted on 20/11/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
As above, If you've got MOT left tax it now.
I'm fairly certain you'd be breaking the law if you drove to a prebooked MOT with no tax if you're current MOT hasn't run out (The exemption is there because you can't get tax without an MOT so I doubt you'd be allowed to drive up there on the sorn before your current MOT runs out).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

LBMEFM

posted on 20/11/10 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Place were you keep it is on your insurance details SteveM

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.