Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade Fuel Leak
IainL

posted on 20/11/10 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Fireblade Fuel Leak

Just tried to start my 919 Fireblade engine up for the first time since I brought it about 8 months ago, but unfortunately while priming the carbs a couple of leeks have appeared

The leek is coming from the pipes that feed the carbs (the pipe between the carbs that feed 1 & 2 and also the same leek seems to be happening between 3 & 4).

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Is there a seal kit for the pipes or somethink along those line?

Cheers

Mark G

posted on 20/11/10 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
My 893 leaked from exactly the same places.

There are 2 ways to fix this. The first is to hope that the fuel has now lubricated the seals and they have expanded back to normal size and it won't leak again until the next time it is sat for a few months.

The second way is to remove the carbs from the engine and split them down to 4 individual carbs. Now replace the seals on each of the 'T's.

Seal kits are available but I went to Honda and they were £35ea +Vat. Obviously I didn't pay that, I went to my local motorfactors with the old o rings and matched them with their kit on the shelf.

Cost me about 80p to do feeds and vents.

If you haven't already fitted a dynojet kit its well worth doing this whilst you're playing with the carbs already (providing you are post IVA).

LBMEFM

posted on 20/11/10 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
As Mark, when the seals are not kept "wet" they shrink and leak, I was shocked at the price of new, £17 just the seals, I went to my local plumbers supplier and bought rubber "O" rings for about 50p worked a treat
IainL

posted on 21/11/10 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, fingers crossed the o-rings have resealed.

If not how easy is it to remove the carbs and split them to replace the o-rings?

Is there anything I need to look out for?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.