Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone been to carbon mods.com
speedy123

posted on 21/11/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
anyone been to carbon mods.com

OMG just been on carbon mods.com and it is absolutely amazing the products they sell,
Ive finally ordered my locost grasshopper plans and im already thinking of the body work,
I was gonna skin my MDF in alluminium but the products they provide you can skin straight over the top of the MDF with carbon fibre, and now they are marketing a full bonnet carbon skinning kit, which for my product should be more than enough to do the bonnet wings and back end pieces. and its not overpriced for what your getting, you try and find a set of wings in carbon fibre and your looking at 100 quid there,
but the best part by far of their website is the tutorial videos.
as soon as im ready to start work on the body kit ile be ordering a set from them,
give them a look guys
http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Departments/carbon-fiber-kits.aspx
also if any one has any ideas on the grasshopper body design ide really appreciate it

mookaloid

posted on 21/11/10 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedy123

if any one has any ideas on the grasshopper body design ide really appreciate it

There's a great Grasshopper body design on the Grasshopper web site http://www.locust.org.uk/about/brochures/bwe/grasshopper.htm

You can buy the plans or even a ready assembled tub

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

omega0684

posted on 21/11/10 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedy123
OMG just been on carbon mods.com and it is absolutely amazing the products they sell

BE CAREFUL: Carbon mods are getting an increasing reputation of sending out quantity over "quality". dodgy weaves, thin gel coats, shoddy finishing. Just take a second look and examine your products carefully. oh did i mention that their prices ARE WELL OVER THE ODDS!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marcjagman

posted on 21/11/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'm glad it's not just me that thinks they're a bit pricey, have a good look round first at other suppliers before you part with your hard earned.
Paul TigerB6

posted on 21/11/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
As above, having looked around i'd now buy the raw materials elsewhere - carbon cloth, resin etc. For the amount you will need - you'll probably save a fortune.
prawnabie

posted on 21/11/10 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I had nothing but aggro with CM over a bonnet scoop I bought.
Davegtst

posted on 21/11/10 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Is there an alterative for things like scoops and aeroscreens?
prawnabie

posted on 21/11/10 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
playskool do carbon stuff i believe
omega0684

posted on 21/11/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
Is there an alterative for things like scoops and aeroscreens?

Airbox and window screen!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedy123

posted on 21/11/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Oh right, thanks for the advice guys, will probly buy the stuff elsewhere then and just use their vids lol,
with regards to mookaloid.
that price list is from 1999 i ordered the plans today from BWE so hopefully they will send me a comprehensive list of parts and prices.
anyone recommend any other carbon suppliers?
as in where you skin yourself?

Paul TigerB6

posted on 21/11/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
There should be plenty of suppliers around who can help. Try yellow pages for fibreglass suppliers locally

here's an online company who have carbon cloth and epoxy resin. Any decent supplier should offer free advice

LBMEFM

posted on 21/11/10 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
My dashboard from CM's is showing signs of blistering on the passenger side and as for the rear wing stone guards the glue failed and they slid down the wings on a regular basis, I have now had to rivet them on, so be careful with your purchases.

[Edited on 21/11/10 by LBMEFM]

big_l

posted on 21/11/10 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I had quite a lot of stuff from carbon mods every thing was awesome quality apart from the rear arch stone guards which they refunded in full and were very helpful no ones perfect !!!!!!!
Stott

posted on 21/11/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
I thought their stuff was good. In fact I bought a kit from another supplier which was £15 cheaper and it came with the wrong weave and the cloth was folded not rolled in a tube leaving an irreperable gap in the weave every 6" or so. I returned it and got the CM one and ended up happy.

See this link for when I had a go at it: Me Vs Carbon Mods Skinning Kit - Pics

Tris

posted on 21/11/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I recently went through the process of moulding my own airbox out of CF using the kit from carbon mods.

Yes, i could get most of the materials slightly cheaper (ive used east cost before, as well as http://www.fibretechgb.com/), but there was one item which i could only get from them so i decided to keep the order together.

I must of rang them 6 or more times asking for advise and they were really superb in that regard. Obviously can't vouch for the quality of their manufactured parts, but for general helpfulness i found them first rate.

[Edited on 21/11/10 by Tris]

speedy123

posted on 21/11/10 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
stott brilliant work fair play,
Ive ordered some wings that im gonna have to cut down a bit,
But do you know if you can skin MDf cuz the body tub for the grasshopper is MDf and you can skin it in alumimiam or paint as is, but now ive seen this stuff, wanna do this,
do you reckon i could skin the CF over the MDF?
cheers guys

Stott

posted on 22/11/10 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
It would have to be pretty well sealed first so the base coat of epoxy sticks to it and doesn't sink in, but apart from that I don't see why it wouldn't work

ATB
Stott

speedy123

posted on 22/11/10 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
yea I thought so stott, I was thinking of fibreglassing the MDF first ofver all the joins like so theres no chance of sagging like. thanks guys

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.