Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cordless hammer drills - any good?
dan__wright

posted on 24/11/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
cordless hammer drills - any good?

as above, recently killed my corded Bosch hammer drill so looking at a replacement for Christmas and im seeing lots and lots of cordless ones, are they any good?

ive seen a worx one that looks quite good, 24v, 2 batteries, good reviews for £90

only thing im worried about is it may not be fast enough for HSS (drilling car bits etc)

[Edited on 24/11/10 by dan__wright]

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

JoelP

posted on 24/11/10 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
generally, no. A good 18v one will be fine on blocks, but not on most bricks. The £300 24v/36v ones will be good on bricks.

post a link of the worx one please!

[Edited on 24/11/10 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

bob tatt

posted on 24/11/10 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
i have been using them at work for 10 plus years now avoid the cheap shite, stick with bosch makita or dewalt inn that order, depending on what you want to do 24v is the way to go 36 v not very good on batterie life and bloody heavy when be used a lot.

only my tupponce worth

rob

dan__wright

posted on 24/11/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
it will only be diy stuff and a few car bits, not for every day / pro use.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7113017/Trail/searchtext%3EWORX.htm

that's what i was worried about re cheap stuff, see a lot of expensive dewalt stuff at so think there must be a catch with the cheaper stuff.

our sparky at work uses a cordless dewalt and it seems to be fine, even fitting out several buildings of labs (steel wall construction!)

[Edited on 24/11/10 by dan__wright]

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

jase380

posted on 24/11/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
had an 18v dewalt for 3 years now with no probs, good for most diy jobs goes through block and brick no problem as long as you use good quality bits. not a patch on my mains bosch sds drill though..... think a good cordless will be the way forward if you plan on using it mainly on the car, its a lot easier getting into tight spaces with no cables hanging around
JoelP

posted on 24/11/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
you're not far off this one at £90, though id point out i havent used Li-ion dewalts yet:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/74113/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/DeWalt-XRP-DC988L1-18V-Li-Ion-Cordless-Combi-Drill?ts=30474

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

marcjagman

posted on 24/11/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Drill bits don't have to run fast to make a hole, even though they say HSS on them. If it's turning slower then less heat and a more accurate hole size and more holes between sharpening.
paulf

posted on 24/11/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Bosch 24v drill which has been very good for most purposes.I only have used it for diy purposes using the hammer action but had no problem drilling into bricks etc for 10mm rawl bolts and for drilling through walls for sattelite cables etc.
For metal working it is fast enough for small drills and the slow speed works fine for medium size hole saws.
However I dropped it off the bench recently and it no longer works due to the magnets in the motor breaking, a new motor is going to be about £60 so cant decide if its worth repairing or replacing with something else.
Paul

whitestu

posted on 24/11/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
A cheapo mains hammer drill will always be better for drilling brick etc.

I've currently got a Lidl 18v cordless. battery life isn't great but it came with 2 batteries and 1hr charger for £40 and quality of drill seems good.

BenB

posted on 24/11/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I've used my Hitachi 18v for the last year. Does the job nicely. I've resorted to using my powered drill twice!!
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 24/11/10 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 36v dewalt.
It will get into brick and block, but a couple of days ago failed miserably getting into stone.
I would say a cheap wired one is better.

Peteff

posted on 24/11/10 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I just bought a new Makita 18v cordless drill and it's good but if I want to make a hole in the wall and can get to a socket I use the Bosch SDS, effortless in comparison. As Tim Taylor says, more power huh. Big volt batteries means heavy tools which is why I didn't go over 18v.

[Edited on 24/11/10 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

splitrivet

posted on 25/11/10 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got one of those Worx and they are very good I also have a 24v Bosch SDS and I tend to use the Worx for rawl plugging nowadays and the Bosch for drilling straight through walls.
I use it on a daily basis and its never let me down though the charge time is a PITA, for a DIYer or for trade you'll be well happy with it.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

bbwales

posted on 25/11/10 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a Macalister 18v drill from B&Q 4 years ago and I have built 2 cars with it and done lots of work around the house, it is still going strong 1 battery is a little tired but will still work.
Regards
Bob

dhutch

posted on 25/11/10 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I would said an mains SDS drill, and a 12v cordless drill/driver combo.

My housemates bosch professional 12v cordless was very good, and i might my dad a smaller/lighter but also good quality makita last christmas which has done a good first year. Between the two brands i dont think you can got wrong, same colour even!

Daniel

Daddylonglegs

posted on 25/11/10 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a Wickes 'professional' a couple of years ago, came with 2 batteries and was on offer for £54 IIRC. I then bought a reciprocating saw from the same range as it takes the same batteries and I must say that they have both been absolutely fine. I have used the drill on most materials and it seems OK to me, maybe eats the battery a little quicker on stone/brick but still does the job. Batteries seem to have stood the test of time so far so we will see.

Not sure if it would be OK for someone in the profession but it has been great for my needs.

HTH

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.