Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plumbing Costs
m8kwr

posted on 30/11/10 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Plumbing Costs

I have had a plumber cost me to fit 2 radiators and service the combi boiler. For a cost of £520.

I have no idea if this seems steep or not, as every other plumber I have either called, does not bother to phone me back, or the other ones I have had round, do not bother to quote me. And to be honest I can not be bothered to chase people etc.

I am thinking the 2 radiators etc should be no more then £200, and boiler service about £80ish (never had it done before), so £240 for labour.

Does this seem a fair price or not???

r1_pete

posted on 30/11/10 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
For about 1.5 - 2 days work £240 aint bad, means he's paying himself about £7-800 a week.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
m8kwr

posted on 30/11/10 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
only 1 days work at most!!!!

Apparently 2 off them doing, it, so i am thinking 1/2 days work...

So thats bad then...

BenB

posted on 30/11/10 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on what you mean by "fitting". New pipes or just re-using existing ones. If new pipes depends on whether it means taking up floorboards etc etc etc....
big-vee-twin

posted on 30/11/10 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Going rate is about £25/hr so that would equate to 10 hrs aprox.

A day (8hrs) for the rads and couple hours to service the boiler?

Plus materials.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

nick205

posted on 30/11/10 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
When you say fit 2 rads, do you mean replace existing ones or run new pipework to newly positioned rads?

For comparison, I've recently been quoted between £120 and £140 to service a combi boiler. Your post reminded me that I also want a radiator reconnecting where I replaced a leaky one and never got round to reconnecting it.

Can you get the trads and hang them yourself? IIRC I paid £60-70 from B&Q for a 800x1200 rad about 18 months ago. The valves were another £20 on top from a local plumbers merchant (10mm micro bore so may be dearer than normal 15mm ones).

craig_007

posted on 30/11/10 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Is he supplying the rads,pipework,valves,couplings etc ?

If so that seems fair enough depending on rad sizes and prices.

Alot depends on, flooring. I.E solid floor or wooden with a good space below for working in.

m8kwr

posted on 30/11/10 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
2 new rads, in 2 new positions in the house, removing an old one (which is been repositioned not behind a sofa!!!)

About 3-4 meters of copper pipe.

He did say about some stuff he was adding to the water when the rads are been re-filled to stop something!!!! I must listen.

adam1985

posted on 30/11/10 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
It all depends on rad size and make there can be a massive change in price

U2u on its way

JoelP

posted on 30/11/10 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
sounds a fair price to me, as plumbers go. Theres £20 in the pipes and £10 in the inhibitor, and a boiler service is skilled labour afterall.

Dont forget that what appears to be his hourly wage also has to cover tool maintainance and consumables, the van and insurance, public liability, diesel and the half hour traveling, his pension and sick pay, the days he cant work due to snow etc, as well as tax.

If i tell people i charge £25 an hour that doesnt mean thats all wage.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

slingshot2000

posted on 30/11/10 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
sounds a fair price to me, as plumbers go. Theres £20 in the pipes and £10 in the inhibitor, and a boiler service is skilled labour afterall.

Dont forget that what appears to be his hourly wage also has to cover tool maintainance and consumables, the van and insurance, public liability, diesel and the half hour traveling, his pension and sick pay, the days he cant work due to snow etc, as well as tax.

If i tell people i charge £25 an hour that doesnt mean thats all wage.

I wish everybody I quote for could see the sense in what you say !

macc man

posted on 30/11/10 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you have doubts then ask around for a recommended plumber. I get all my work from referals.
I would probably charge about £450 but prices can vary depending on amount of work involved and
ultimately how busy your plumber is. My prices are less now than 4 years ago, supply and demand, Sign of the times.

lsdweb

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds fair to me.

I went to the dentist this morning and got charged £37.50 for a checkup that lasted less than 2 minutes - now that's a good hourly rate!

Wyn

slingshot2000

posted on 2/12/10 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Sounds fair to me.

I went to the dentist this morning and got charged £37.50 for a checkup that lasted less than 2 minutes - now that's a good hourly rate!

Wyn

£37.50 for 2 minutes; equates to (£37.50 x 30 = £1125.00 per hour)

£1125.00 an hour; equates to(£1125 x 40 = £45,000.00 per week)

£45,000.00 for a 40 hour week;equates to (£45k x 48 weeks)

£21, 600, 000 . 00 a year

or a hell of a lot of money each year . . . . . . . . . for. . . . . . . spending your day looking into other peoples mouths

YUK ! !

[Edited on 2/12/10 by slingshot2000]

[Edited on 2/12/10 by slingshot2000]

lsdweb

posted on 2/12/10 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I did the calculations too! I think she only works four days a week though :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.