Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why is it more expensive?
Mark Allanson

posted on 30/11/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Why is it more expensive?

SWIMBO reads about 4 books a week, so, for Christmas, I thought I would buy her a Kindle.

So far so good - good for the environment, no wood pulp or petro based inks etc

As a pdf has no overheads except for the royalties and the initial transcription, why is the pricing of this so inverse?

Confused of Cornwall

(I could just download it on a torrent site and have done with it!)

[Edited on 30/11/10 by Mark Allanson]

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

r1_pete

posted on 30/11/10 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Publishers protecting their revenue stream!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 30/11/10 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 100% with you - you pay £150 + for a decent electrickery box to read the 'books' on..... and then pay more for the 'books' than a proper book (which is a format that has worked perfectly for centuries) would cost....... modern world gone mad

blakep82

posted on 30/11/10 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
yep, easier to copy now, so they put the price up to cover any loss from piracy i guess

on the plus side though, you can buy it for £7 new in hardcover, or an extra 70p for a used one

[Edited on 30/11/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeRJ

posted on 30/11/10 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I totaly agree. I bought my wife a Kindle for Christmas last year and she loves it, but the prices of the eBooks are outrageous. With no printing or materials costs and minimal distribution costs they really should be cheaper than the tree based versions.
BenB

posted on 30/11/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Because reading it on "kindle" is convenient. It's a convenient tax. For the same reason that newspapers are becoming increasingly free and you have to pay for the online contents whereas it was t'other way round..... They charge that much because people will pay that much for the books.
martyn_16v

posted on 30/11/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
The publishing industry is going through the same stage of panic-stricken idiocy that the music/film industries did a few years ago now. That they haven't looked at what happened and learnt any lessons at all is slightly odd (although of course you could argue that neither have the film and music industries...). Keeping the pricing where it is at the moment isn't going to get the ebook market taking off in a big way, they really need to drop the price substantially to make it appear to be reasonable value when compared against the relative costs of music/film downloads compared to their hard copy equivalents.

The argument that most publishing houses trot out is that the cost of physically making and distributing an actual book isn't all that much, but ebooks get charged VAT whereas normal books don't, hence the difference in price. Personally I think it's cobblers.

There have been a couple of decent blogs on the BBC recently about the totally different ideas between buying a paper book, where you actually own the paper, ink, cover, binding etc but not the copyright to what's actually written in it, and the ebook where essentially all you are doing is renting the rights to look at a file, you have ownership of nothing.

britishtrident

posted on 30/11/10 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
The books are so heavily protected by encryption and other security measures that as far as I know nobody has managed to pirate them.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

blakep82

posted on 30/11/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The books are so heavily protected by encryption and other security measures that as far as I know nobody has managed to pirate them.

it won't be long

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

hobbsy

posted on 30/11/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Its a tenner a month for a subscription to Times Online as well I think - that you can read through your kindle.

You could always buy a Sony version or similar which isn't tied down to Amazon and you can convert other formats like PDF, Word Docs or plain text into its eBook format yourself...

tegwin

posted on 30/11/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

it won't be long

Already done..................

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

martyn_16v

posted on 30/11/10 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

AZW maybe, at least so far. But there's plenty of epub's, pdf's and other formats floating about of most popular books on bittorrent, have been for years. Quality has been a bit hit and miss, but then so have some of the legitimate ones, both are getting better now though.

David Jenkins

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
You pay VAT on ebooks too, but not on real books...

There's a huge storm brewing over the cost of ebooks, and it'll end in tears before too long.

russbost

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
As has already been said they don't learn, this is just like charging nearly twice the price for a CD as a vinyl LP when they first came out, yet the costs of producing were vastly smaller for the CD's & look whats happened now, how many CD's do they sell now compared with 10 years ago? It's the same thing with games & software, the higher the prices the more they get pirated - surprise surprise! Perhaps if they tried pricing the stuff more reasonably people wouldn't bother to try & rip it off!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Paul TigerB6

posted on 30/11/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe i'm getting old but i'd rather have a real book anyway!! I spend too much time looking at a computer screen already with work etc - its nice to pick up something on paper for a change!!
FFTS

posted on 30/11/10 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm getting a Kindle 3 soon and as far as I'm aware they use the Kindle format and PDF files.

Chris.

Ninehigh

posted on 2/12/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't say £7 was unreasonable. £9 is a little steep considering it's a text file. £20 rrp is, well, I persume it's a tome rather than a book (Ben Collins is 150 now isn't he?)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.