Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sky + HD Problem
Blackbird Rush

posted on 5/12/10 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sky + HD Problem

Thought the collective of brilliant minds on here may be able to shed some light in this.....

Been having a few problems with my Sky + box (was 2nd hand when i got it a couple of years ago) sound has disappeared a few times, cured by a full reset, so thought i'd pick up a spare box just incase the + box failed.

Bought a 2nd hand HD box - Thompson one (just to use on std sky subs and not the HD) however just plugged it all up and have a problem......

Some of the channels have very poor reception (all pixalated) all of the + features work OK and everything else appears to be fine (I like the new EPG on the HD box), have done a full reset etc and spoken to sky incase I needed to update the viewing card.

The chap at Sky thought i should try using an HDMI cable instead of the scart, but failing that the box may be screwed....

Any pearls of wisdom? , already mailed the seller on ebay so if the worst comes to the worst i'll get ebay and paypal to get me my £ back as it was advertised as fully operational....

Ta for any help.

greggors84

posted on 5/12/10 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a problem before the box if a different box hasn't fixed it, is the problem the same with both dishes? When did it start happening? The dish hasnt been knocked out of alignment by heavy snow? Unlikely but if the fixings weren't very tight it could happen.

With digital a poor signal usual means pixelation and dodgy sound, I think there is a signal strength indicator in the setup menu somewhere, failing that you can get a inline signal strength gauge for setting dishes up. After checking your dish maybe check the wires havent frayed anywhere.

Just re read your post and im guessing that your original + box is fine, its just the HD box that is playing up.

[Edited on 5/12/2010 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

RazMan

posted on 5/12/10 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
As already said above, check the signal strength in the 'services' section and that will give you an idea of where the fault lies. If you can switch to HDMI you will notice a definite improvement in quality too.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr G

posted on 5/12/10 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
As its a Thomson box i'd say its the PSU that's causing the problem. Its a well known design flaw. The capacitors on the psu board are not upto the job, bulge and cause all sorts of errors including pixelation. There are upgrade kits you can buy on ebay to fix them yourself or complete psu boards for a full replacement.

I've got 2 thomson hd boxes myself and one's had the upgrade which cured it, the other is waiting for it (reports no signal) although fine if I put the others psu in it.

Whats the signal strength and quality as reported in the signal test section btw?

G

Edit : Took so long typing that others already asked the signal strength question

[Edited on 5/12/10 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

ChrisW

posted on 6/12/10 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
As has been said, it probably needs the caps replacing in the PSU. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and only 10 mins down the road from you if you want it done. You'll need to buy the parts though - loads of places sell them as a kit.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 6/12/10 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I had a tompson box and the tuner unit in it went. caused exactly the same symptoms you describe. ordered a new unit off the net for about £15 desoldered the pins on the old one then soldered in the new one. fired it up problem solved.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Blackbird Rush

posted on 6/12/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, knew you could help.

I'm in talks with the seller at the mo if i need to i'll either get an exchange PSU or buy a bag of capacitors and break out the soldering iron, (built a megasquirt so this should be easy!) Thanks for the offer Chris, if i need help i'll let you know, where abouts are you then?

Cheers

Ash

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.