Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car door seals and welding clothes !!
pdm

posted on 6/12/10 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Car door seals and welding clothes !!

Morning

Car door frozen solid this morning and I think its because we used warm water on it to free it on Friday - any ideas on what I could coat the seals in to get rid of the moisture that won't perish the rubber itself ?

Also I'm booked on a college welding course in Jan - woohoo - I need to bring suitable boots and clothes. I have welding gauntlets which I got cheap from ebay. What else will I need - I haven't got a boiler suit or boots yet.....

many thanks
Paul

cliftyhanger

posted on 6/12/10 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Get some flameproof overalls?? sell on the bay quite cheap. I just weld in jeans and a leather jacket this weather, I find its the grinding that sets firs to things . Avoid polyester stuff next to the skin, sticks when it melts. And I keep thinking about something to stop the little bits of molten metal getting into my boots (no, my trousers aren't to short, but stuff seems to get in there anyway )
cliftyhanger

posted on 6/12/10 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
And doorseals...Silicone??
Macbeast

posted on 6/12/10 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Door seals - vaseline. ( Comes in handy for other things )

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

T66

posted on 6/12/10 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
if you use silicone, it has to be the stuff that doesnt set !

vaseline is easier.

Peteff

posted on 6/12/10 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
if you use silicone, it has to be the stuff that doesnt set !
vaseline is easier.

You need the "Back to Black" silicone spray Simoniz makes. It works on squeaky belts as well.

Vaseline is good on chapped lips

[Edited on 6/12/10 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

nick205

posted on 6/12/10 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Vaseline's far too messy on door seals (or elsewhere).

Get a can of silicone maintanance spray from Halfords or a motor factors - it does what it says on the tin. A good squirt in the locks helps as well (although remote central locking often negates this these days).

pdm

posted on 6/12/10 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks folks !!
T66

posted on 6/12/10 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Works on my Lada perfectly well....

I have never marked my oily clothes once , nor has the Mrs greased her ball gown.

And the doors dont stick either.

speedyxjs

posted on 6/12/10 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
You will need steel toe capped boots for the welding course. They wont let you do it otherwise because of elf n'safety

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Daddylonglegs

posted on 6/12/10 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, vaseline. Works a treat. Don't forget to spray your locks AND handles with white grease or similar. If you don't it is possible that the newer cars with these 5p plastic door handles can actually break. The plastic gets so brittle in the really low temperatures that when you pull it too hard because it's frozen it can snap clean off

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

dhutch

posted on 6/12/10 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, silicon spary carnt make it worse. However in the main i think you just need to try and keep them dry and free them with a bit of a shove. Worked for me so far.

Welding cloths, I would just take a set of cotten overalls, doesnt really matter if the flame retardent or not i wouldnt say, but if your buying for the task in hand polyester is not ideal! Then yeah, proberbly a sent of £25 steelies.

That said, when i did a ten week (two hours per week) welding course from school we where sent out in polyester overalls and our school shoes and all came back alive. I did once rest my welding rod (oxy ace) on my lap to find it was the hot end i was resting. After about 30second its suddenly went through my overalls and into my leg, more ove a supprise of it going through the overall than anythign else but it hurt later on and its left a mark to this day. Meh

Daniel

tony-devon

posted on 6/12/10 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
good boots, decent gloves, and keep an eye out in the army surplus stores

all my overalls are the nomex ones, warm, practical and flameproof.

not essential, but certainly not going to do any harm by being flameproof.

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pdm

posted on 6/12/10 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again everyone - army surplus stores is a good call, I'll go to the local one I think
cliftyhanger

posted on 6/12/10 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Try fleabay, you get some cheap ex-hire stuff (Under a tenner delivered)
Plus it is sooooo much better to arrive in overalls that are not fresh from the packet

m4maverick

posted on 6/12/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, just completed a welding course in Crawley college, certainly recommend it but think it may be dependant upon the tutor.

One thing I would say is, if you are planning welding afterwards get yourself a mask now as the college ones are badly handled and generally trashed. Crawley provided each person with a new set of gloves

I would also consider your own clear goggles for grinding, specifically if pointing tungstens etc as again the college ones were badly scratched and was difficult to see, particularly if your eyes are not great close up.

Remember you can wear glasses under a mask, or get a mask with correction lenses, something worth thinking about when buying a mask.

Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.