Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what are the benefits of certain silencers?
daniel mason

posted on 8/12/10 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
what are the benefits of certain silencers?

how restrictive are the stainless silencers seen on most kits? and what is the main reason people use these?
i have seen a single exit exhaust for sale which is designed for the s2000 (f20c engine) but the silencer is no where near as large as the standard kit silencers. is there any way to guage how loud this would be compared to standard? and if i modified the link pipe to suit the mnr install would this be suitable for a kit? cheers

snapper

posted on 8/12/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
There is a lot of science to do with exhaust manifolds, 4 inti 1 producing bhp higher up the revs, 4,2,1 better mid range.
Primary lengths and secondary lengths tuned to the first, second, third harmonic etc which is affected by the cam and where you want the peak torque.
To answer your earlier question the standard 4 into 1 manifold is generaly less restrictive than the donor, however you would have to have a bespoke manifold made for the S2000 engine matched to all the above.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

pwl

posted on 8/12/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I think that the standard kit car silencers are way too restrictive for a F20C. I am running 2 X Simones 3” straight thru resonators on mine, and they are surprisingly silent. I would not go below a 2,5” exhaust on a F20C.

daniel mason

posted on 8/12/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi. I forgot to say I already have a manifold which was given to me by pwl on here free of charge when he upgraded to a 4-2-1. Although it's not prfect it fits perfectly and it seems daft not to use it when it's free. Take a look in my blog underneath. All I need is a silencer and a link pipe. Cheers

daniel mason

posted on 8/12/10 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Per. It's a 70mm exhaust for sale on uk s2000 forum. He wants to swap for a stock twin exit which I have from my donor plus a bit of cash. Thanks again for my exhaust system it's spot on!!

daniel mason

posted on 8/12/10 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
this is the one ive seen, can get a discount on the price.http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=813887&st=0

tul214

posted on 8/12/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think that twin boxes look cool.

Don't suppose it would be that hard to modify his set up to fit your kit.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

daniel mason

posted on 8/12/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
thanks tul!

Bluemoon

posted on 8/12/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
from reading PPC apparently its worth keeping the standard s2000 manifold as it is already highly tunned and changing it means wrose performance.... or at best equal but I doubt u or i would have the time cash or knowlage to better the standard item..
dhutch

posted on 8/12/10 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ive done a bit of digging into silencer design and ultimately come the conclusion i dont yet know enough to understand what makes a good one good or visa versa. Certainly judging the final output volume seems very hard.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.