Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diffs...? ATB or Gripper plated ???
RobC

posted on 9/12/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Diffs...? ATB or Gripper plated ???

I understand how the to are different from one another but which ultimately would be the best application for hillclimbs and sprinting?...

Both are the same money...

I have an open diff and one LSD diff... so could always transfer over part from one to the other but... and this is the but... I have enough budget to do this once for next years season...???

Anyone got experience of both that mightbe able to suggest which would be best suited to what I intend to use the car for...

Many thanks

blakep82

posted on 9/12/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
i would go for a ATB personally. plate diffs have different preload settings, so need to be set up. they can sometimes tend to 'snap' the diff to lock very quickly. ATBs don't need a preload set, and they are much more progressive in their engagement

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RobC

posted on 9/12/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
My biggest worry with the ATB is that if I hit a kerb or loose traction on one wheel this is going to make it feel very much liek an open diff...

Are gripper, TRanX plated diff's REALLY that hardcore? difficult to control would prob. be a better way to put it???

omega 24 v6

posted on 9/12/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
ATB is probably the best option they can be used on the road and in everyday use they allow the wheels to turn at differing rates. When the power is on they lock up and do the job they are designed to do.
Having seen them in action IMHO they are also worth an extra 15mtrs off the line in wet circumstances. The plate ones are good but as already said they need setup and maintained. They are also at times prone to breaking plates.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

RobC

posted on 9/12/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Should have also stated that my car is next year onward going to be used to 99% comp. I only took it out 3 times on the roads this year as I have just got tired with our roads.

Hmmm... but. the big question is...

IF set up right are they not better than the ATB? My LSD has been good last year but it's the wrong ratio... and this is a chance to get a much better setup interms of everything inline...

I think one of the biggest problems with all forms of motorsport is that I know some people are running other things that ford LSD's but they play there hand close... And I just don;t have the money to buy both and see which I prefer.

most of the comments I have read on this and other forums are form people who have road bias cars...

The biggest thing I have found this year is that a car that I thought was awesome for track and road is in desperate need of attention to attack the hills. Quiafe do good products but what is best for motorsport is my basic question.

Road use is something that I have no concern over.

richardR1

posted on 9/12/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
TranX diff would be my recommendation, my mate and i rallied a RWD R1 Mini built by Z-Cars and that originally had an ATB diff fitted. Car was used on tarmac rallies and with the ATB in it was too easy to lose traction over rumble kerbs etc. Fitted the TranX and it was much better for the purpose we wanted, they set the diff up for us based on the car weight and usage and it was excellent.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

RobC

posted on 9/12/10 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
This is my main worry with the ATB...

I know the ramp angles and setting differ from the TranX to the Gripper model... But how much different are they? with them both being plated...?

beaver34

posted on 9/12/10 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
I use a plated tran x item and have for the last year, it's noisy and clunky but by he'll does the car grip, I've not really had an issue with snappiness at high speed I believe It may add understeer at lower speeds but you drive through that
JimSpencer

posted on 10/12/10 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
I It may add understeer at lower speeds but you drive through that

That would be a total time killer on the hills.. mid corner and exit speed is everything..

I run a quaife ATB, I personally think a plate diff that's PERFECTLY set up is probably a touch better.
But I've seen lots, and driven a few, that wern't...

If you're confident that you can get a plate diff set up spot on - to suit your style and the car - and keep it that way, then it's probably got a smidgen of an advantage, but the quaife is simply fit and forget.

flak monkey

posted on 10/12/10 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I had a tran-x in mine. Far, far better than an ATB (have driven cars with both fitted)

The amount of grip out of corners and in a straight line were absolutely staggering. There is one available off the shelf from Rally Design which is the one caterham fit, so its has suitable ramp angles. After fitting it the car had far more grip than I dared to use on the road.

Yes they clonk and click when manouvering at slow speed, but its worth it.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.