Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Would you buy a new house now?
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 11/12/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Would you buy a new house now?

We are tempted by a house that is for sale.
It would mean selling our current house at a relative song due to the current market.
But the other house is massively cheaper than it used to be.

We will be stretched by the cost of the new mortgage but we can afford it.

The big question is....

If this is both my wifes and myselfs dream house, should we buy it (put a serious offer in at least) or be sensible and keep a safe port in a storm (ie our current cheaper house).

My only reason for not walking away so far is that it is the perfect place for us, and that over the term of our ownership, as long as I can afford it, I don't care if the value of it goes up or down as it is not an investment, it's a home.

The offer that may be accepted is a good 10% less than asking to absorb at least a little of the current downward trend.

And while yer at it, how long is a piece of string!

Any comments welcome!

Cheers

Ed

marcjagman

posted on 11/12/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
YES, buyers market and financial institutions arte giving great deals.
GeorgeM

posted on 11/12/10 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
mortgages are cheap now.
I remember 15%, will you still be able to afford the repayment if it was doubled ?
Could well happen

My conscience is clear - I drive a GREEN car
MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 11/12/10 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
We have three kids, they should be worth a bit if it doubles.

I remember the Thatcher years and a slump or two, so am trying to view it as 'affordable or not', rather than trying to say what it is worth, if you see what I mean.

austin man

posted on 11/12/10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
always worry when people put we can just afford, I always think can easily afford is the time when you have the answer to your question. I too remember the Thatcher era and the 15% plus the implementation of Poll tax and the numbers of people who were on the verge of bankruptcy.

Got to also bear in mind the VAT is on the up and potentially another 5p on fuel per litre. Buyers market yes time to but your neck on the line probably not. Plus 3 kids as well

Just my oppinion but Im happy with my £250 mortgage and no financial stress oh and yes I would love to move and can easily afford it due to callateral in my house but have also been on the other side when I knackered my back, had the house been any more expensive we would have been in dire straits financially.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

big-vee-twin

posted on 11/12/10 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately unless you have sold even if you make an offer the estate Agent will not put it forward as a formal offer sign of the times I'm afraid

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

snapper

posted on 11/12/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
It's all about the mortgage rate, fix it now, give yourself a few years of stability, have a bit of spare available.
Ex boss of mine worked all the time and lived off beans, but lives in clover now

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

r1_pete

posted on 11/12/10 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
There is a lot to be said for financial security.

Personally I've only moved house 3 times and live in a modest detatched house which has been paid for for nearly ten years. People I have grown up with and gone through working life with have chased the dream and still have 15 years of mortgage to go. True they could sell and buy an equivallent to mine, but have nothing left, unlike the 10 years of saving £500+ per month I have.

Its up to you to decide how secure your income is, can you also afford the protection insurance if you are not highly secure? what about stamp duty and other moving costs?

Of course only you can decide how happy it will make you, but remember, when poverty comes through the door, love and happiness go out of the window.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 11/12/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Unfortunately unless you have sold even if you make an offer the estate Agent will not put it forward as a formal offer sign of the times I'm afraid

Our local Estate Agents wouldn't do that 10 years ago, never mind now!

sonic

posted on 11/12/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I would say that these cheap morgage rates are great now,but they will go up if not now or next year but they will.

Ask yourself this,when they do go up could you afford the rise plus the rise in fuel etc on your current wage?,because i bet your wage won't increase with it and you need some wiggle room just in case.

That said nothing ventured etc and you could always sell the new house and down value to what you have now.

JoelP

posted on 11/12/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
id say no myself; i well appreciate the dream home aspect, but as the above have said, you do need some security and 'just afford' doesnt sound good. I would trim expenditure, and try to overpay your existing mortgage over the next few years. House prices arent going up soon, so theres no need to rush. Maybe in 5 years, you will have more equity, and a better view of economic stability.

you would also save 5 years interest on the difference between the loans...

[Edited on 11/12/10 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

speed8

posted on 11/12/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:

Have to agree. If I was a seller, and I was 6 months ago, I would laugh at your offer unless you were in a position to buy i.e. FTB or firm offer on your place. That's why I'm renting now as we missed out on a couple of places and decided to sell anyway and be in a better position to buy when we find the right place.

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 11/12/10 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the input gents.
We will be stretched, rather than 'just afford'. With luck it should be paid off in 10 years.
I'll let you know what happens.
Incidently, we have budgeted to sell our house at under current market value, low as that is. I guess what will be will be!

Stott

posted on 12/12/10 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speed8
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:

Have to agree. If I was a seller, and I was 6 months ago, I would laugh at your offer unless you were in a position to buy i.e. FTB or firm offer on your place. That's why I'm renting now as we missed out on a couple of places and decided to sell anyway and be in a better position to buy when we find the right place.

This all depends on the vendor. some won't even let you view if you're not a "proceedable party" others will take offers from people who still have to sell. Very much dependant on the desperation of the seller. Not a product of the market at all it seems to have always been this way down here.

The main problem is selling your house even at way under it's value. My house has been on the market for 10K less than it's estimated value since March, and it's only a £130K house so £10K under is quite a lot. 3 viewings and no offers Same as the others for sale in my estate, no luck.

The repossession I want to buy which is on the market for £205K as that's what the guy owed (£260K+ in that estate normally) is still for sale, since March.........

Fork all is shifting. Next time you're out for a drive, note the vast ammount of faded for sale signs you see

[Edited on 12/12/10 by Stott]

AdamR

posted on 12/12/10 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
If you're happy with the value of the house and the size of the mortgage, it all comes down to interest rates. Interest rates will never be any lower than they are now. That's good news while it lasts, especially if you're in a position where you can overpay, as you will pay of capital relatively quickly. BUT it means you need to be able to afford the repayments when interest rates significantly increase, which is absolutely inevitable within the next few years.

It really is vital that you factor that in to your calcs for what you can afford. I went through this thought process a year ago (deciding whether to buy my first house as opposed to continuing renting) and decided that as house prices are likely to drop further and interest rates are likely to at least double, it's just too risky.

norm007

posted on 12/12/10 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
The big question is....

If this is both my wifes and myselfs dream house, should we buy it (put a serious offer in at least) or be sensible and keep a safe port in a storm (ie our current cheaper house).

My only reason for not walking away so far is that it is the perfect place for us, and that over the term of our ownership, as long as I can afford it, I don't care if the value of it goes up or down as it is not an investment, it's a home.

====================================================================================================================================================== ==============================

If its your "dream home" get it bought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You never know what tomorrow is gonna bring. (no dress rehearsal in this life???)

Your far better off regretting something you have done, rather than regretting something you haven`t done!!!!! IMHO

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.