Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HDMI question
RazMan

posted on 12/12/10 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
HDMI question

Hi Guys, New technology seems to be overtaking me at the moment and I need to catch up

I have a Panasonic 50" Plasma TV and Panasonic AV system (both HDMI) but I can't see how to get the sound from the TV into the AV system via HDMI - everything video based (media streamer, DVD player etc) works fine to the TV but so sound gets back to the AV. The only alternative output on the TV is a stereo twin coax lead (sadly no optical) but I don't think this will give me 5.1 channels of sound will it?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 12/12/10 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
is it a twin plug on the back, IE stereo phono? If it is then you'll only get 2channel stereo. If its a digital coax then you can get 5/7.1 etc. Digital coax is better than optical.
SeanStone

posted on 12/12/10 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
what's the reson for digital coax being better than optical?
RazMan

posted on 12/12/10 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, it is just the stereo phono. I was under the impression that HDMI was designed as a total solution to all of the older cable bird nest.

I should have added that the TV has 2 HDMI sockets - one connected to my Sky+HD box and the other to the AV system. At the moment I can only get the full surround experience when playing DVDs but Sky movies is just through the TV speakers unless I use the optical lead fro Skybox to AV (and coax from media streamer to AV) I was hoping that HDMI would do it all and save having to switch inputs when switching on the AV system.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 12/12/10 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
my amp has like an HDMI through for most inputs.
eg, use an HDMI cable from blu ray player to amp (sorts out the sound) then the output from the amp to the tv sorts out the picture (and sound if you don't want to use the amp for sound)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

deltron63

posted on 12/12/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Everything hdmi plugs into my Onkyo amp, then into my 50" Samsung. Not all hdmi can handle sound and vision !!!
Big_Al

posted on 12/12/10 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
My new system is a Sony, but there is a setting in the many menus to allow the TV to input via the HDMI.

Have a look in the settings, your system may have one to.

daniel mason

posted on 12/12/10 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
You can't expect the sky box to send sound through your speakers which are powered by the av amp unless there Is a link between the boxes! I totally understand what you are saying but the best way to get the result you're after is to use an av reciever/ amp with hdmi switching so for example your hdmi output from sky to a hdmi input on the amp. Hdmi output from DVD to other hdmi input on amp then just one hdmi from output of amp to input on tv! That way your amp powers everything and will put sound through your speaker system!

prawnabie

posted on 12/12/10 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
Digital coax is better than optical.

I would have thought a signal would be more susceptible to interference than a beam of light?

franky

posted on 12/12/10 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Basically over short runs, say less than 50M there's no difference between digital coax and an optical connection unless you really need the bandwith(which you don't).

With audio equipment coax is better as its a straight digital connection where as any type of optical connection needs to be changed from a light signal into a digital/electrical one. Just something else to go wrong or cause variations from the original data.

greggors84

posted on 12/12/10 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
How many HDMI inputs do you have on your AV receiver? You should be able to plug all your inputs (DVD, Streamer, Sky) into your receiver then just have one HDMI from there into your telly.

I think that is the idea of them, I dont think you can send audio back from the TV using HDMI, you have to plug all your sources into the receiver then it just outputs one HDMI to the telly. You should get all the 5.1 (where available) through your HMDI from the sky box.

Hope that helps.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 12/12/10 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
With audio equipment coax is better as its a straight digital connection where as any type of optical connection needs to be changed from a light signal into a digital/electrical one. Just something else to go wrong or cause variations from the original data.

Sorry, but that is simply b0ll0cks.

Digital is ones and zeros on/off high/low - BOOLEAN.

Whether the signal is sent via electrical impulses (coax) or light (Optical) the data is still digital and will be interpreted as such.

Infact, optical is more reliable than coax because the signal cannot be disrupted by any form of EMI.

However, in terms of the toslink system, coax can carry more data although, ultimately, optical/fibre wee wees all over any other data transmission type.

This is all balls out of the window anyway, because it all falls down when your amp has to convey the signal to your speakers though.....WIRE

RazMan

posted on 12/12/10 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
How many HDMI inputs do you have on your AV receiver? You should be able to plug all your inputs (DVD, Streamer, Sky) into your receiver then just have one HDMI from there into your telly.

I think that is the idea of them, I dont think you can send audio back from the TV using HDMI, you have to plug all your sources into the receiver then it just outputs one HDMI to the telly. You should get all the 5.1 (where available) through your HMDI from the sky box.

Hope that helps.

My TV has 2 inputs and my AV amp only one output. I could use one of those so-called 'automatic' HDMI switched but they don't seem to work as they should and I always have to stagger over to the switch and do it manually

[Edited on 12-12-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

franky

posted on 12/12/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket_Rabbit
quote:

Sorry, but that is simply b0ll0cks.

Digital is ones and zeros on/off high/low - BOOLEAN.

Whether the signal is sent via electrical impulses (coax) or light (Optical) the data is still digital and will be interpreted as such.

Infact, optical is more reliable than coax because the signal cannot be disrupted by any form of EMI.

However, in terms of the toslink system, coax can carry more data although, ultimately, optical/fibre wee wees all over any other data transmission type.

This is all balls out of the window anyway, because it all falls down when your amp has to convey the signal to your speakers though.....WIRE

Its not bOllocks, I work on/build £5million broadcast trucks for a living and we do not use fibre of any type on the trucks as we've had nothing but trouble when using it. I guess it depends on how serious you are about it.

99.9999% of sound systems sound better using digital coax.

greggors84

posted on 12/12/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan

My TV has 2 inputs and my AV amp only one output. I could use one of those so-called 'automatic' HDMI switched but they don't seem to work as they should and I always have to stagger over to the switch and do it manually

[Edited on 12-12-10 by RazMan]

As long as you have enough HDMI inputs in your receiver then your fine. You only need one HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV as when you switch source on the receiver it will send the right signal to the TV, you will be able to do this from the remote meaning you wont have to leave your set when swapping from one source to the other.

Hope that makes sense.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

martyn_16v

posted on 12/12/10 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Its not bOllocks, I work on/build £5million broadcast trucks for a living and we do not use fibre of any type on the trucks as we've had nothing but trouble when using it.

I'm not surprised, fibre + vibration = bad. It'll be even worse if the fibres are being disconnected on a regular basis, coax will have much greater longevity as a patch lead.

On the other hand, you're probably taking care to separate signal and power lines from each other, and also probably have a separate clean power supply for the AV kit. Your average home user will just have everything stuffed behind the cabinet together, where fibre has the advantage of not caring if it's wrapped around a mains lead that's on the same circuit as a washing machine

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.