Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Desktop Computer Help
perksy

posted on 12/12/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Desktop Computer Help

Hello Lads

a mate at work has just contacted me with a problem he has with his desktop computer

He turns it on at the mains and it powers straight up but nothing is showing on the screen

It doesn't seem to turn on or off using the on/off button on the tower

i thought it might be just the on/off switch but why is there no display to the screen ?

is this 2 seperate problems ?

he's not getting any mad sucession of bleeps from the motherboard

cheers for any help

perksy

graememk

posted on 12/12/10 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
i'd start with PSU

RichardK

posted on 12/12/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the screen is either unplugged or gone up the swanny to me, have you another screen that can be used to test.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
greenwood03

posted on 12/12/10 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
could be the graphics card? if he has fitted an 'after market' card worth trying to connect to the original vga output....had that with my daughters pc recently - spent ages despertaley backing up the info as was sure that the thing was on the way out - only to find that the super dooper graphics card was broken.....

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

RazMan

posted on 13/12/10 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
He turns it on at the mains and it powers straight up but nothing is showing on the screen

Sounds like either the monitor or cable - if the graphics card goes phut it normally gives an error beep on startup.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Airhead

posted on 13/12/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Hello Lads

It doesn't seem to turn on or off using the on/off button on the tower

That is almost definately a fritzed PSU.

I've got a little black book with my poems in!

My build diary: http://www.mx5-locost.co.uk

RazMan

posted on 13/12/10 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Airhead

That is almost definately a fritzed PSU.

How can it power up without a psu?? Surely if everything except the monitor is powering up it has to be .......

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Airhead

posted on 13/12/10 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
The machine shouldn't be turning on without the intervention of the power switch - if it is and isn't throwing out beep codes and if the monitor is blank it is fair to assume that the PSU is faulty and whilst able to power up the fan it isn't supplying the graphics card with sufficient juice.

I might be wrong, I accept that, but what on earth does a faulty graphics card, sVGA lead or whatever have to do with the fact that it doesn't switch on using the power switch?

15 years in the trade, I'd be trying the PSU...

RazMan

posted on 13/12/10 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies - I just re-read the original post and saw the reference to the mains switch not making any difference.
Yep, I agree it has to be the PSU - I've also been in the trade for a few decades and simply missed the detail

Cheers,
Raz

graememk

posted on 13/12/10 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
is its a E-machine with a p4 478 by any chance ?

Airhead

posted on 13/12/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Apologies - I just re-read the original post and saw the reference to the mains switch not making any difference.
Yep, I agree it has to be the PSU - I've also been in the trade for a few decades and simply missed the detail

Yep, if I had a pound for every time I'd missed a detail I'd have at least £12.37. Always nice to meet another techie

M

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.