Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: where and how much?
aaron-wxm

posted on 13/12/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
where and how much?

hi all im new to this forum & to kitcars
i am looking at buying a part built kit car but i was just wondering where to get them texted and put on the road and how much it will cost?
ive searched and searched for phone number to call but no luck
im hoping i will be able to go to shrewsbury centre so if anyone has a number for them it will be appreciated

thanks

kendo

posted on 13/12/10 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

It looks like Birmingham is the closest test station to Shrewsbury.

VOSA Test Station - Birmingham Address Garretts Green Industrial Estate
Birmingham
B33 0SS Phone number Enquiry line
0300 123 9000

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/DG_10011266

and here are the fees

http://online.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_files/108_IVA_Inspection_Fees_0410.pdf

Of course you'll then need to register it so add £55 plus the road tax.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 13/12/10 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aaron-wxm
......how much it will cost?...........

LOTS!!

Oh, and welcome to the forum and the world of neverending pain and anguish

But stick at it, it will all be worth it (or so I've been told, I'll let you know when I finally finish mine)

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

interestedparty

posted on 13/12/10 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
DON'T DO IT!

First, it will cost a fcuk of a lot (even the test will probably cost at least £550)
Second, if you buy a part built you may not even qualify for a test (if you can't PROVE that it is home built)

If you are asking questions like that then you are not starting from the right place.

What you need to do is to buy a kit that has already been tested and properly registered, and then rebuild it to suit yourself. It will cost you less money and you will learn loads by doing it, plus you will be on the road a LOT sooner.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

mookaloid

posted on 13/12/10 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
DON'T DO IT!

First, it will cost a fcuk of a lot (even the test will probably cost at least £550)
Second, if you buy a part built you may not even qualify for a test (if you can't PROVE that it is home built)

If you are asking questions like that then you are not starting from the right place.

What you need to do is to buy a kit that has already been tested and properly registered, and then rebuild it to suit yourself. It will cost you less money and you will learn loads by doing it, plus you will be on the road a LOT sooner.

Agreed.....

welcome to the forum

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

b16mts

posted on 13/12/10 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
For example you could buy my Tiger Supercat, that is fully built and registered 18 months ago, so no mot for another 18 months!

You can then tweak and change it at you leisure with no real legal hassle, or just drive it all you want.

You know it makes sense.

I can't imagine the hassle and cost of gettin a part built kit road legal vein worth it at all.

Cheers,

Martin

who says you can't drive a kit car when you're 6'5"?

snapper

posted on 13/12/10 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Don,t listen to the sceptics, yes it is character building experience and you will have down moments but let me assure you there is nothing better than telling people "I built it"
Anyone can buy a car, very few can say they built it.
Do some research, visit the kit car show, buy some kit car magazines, look at the forums, don't spend any money until you know what you want to build.

Don,t buy a part built off a bloke in the pub after you have to many beers, get it home and realise you don't even know what make it is, that would be silly, that would be what I did.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

aaron-wxm

posted on 13/12/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the quick replies
the man who built it really does know his stuff and not a pub drunk lol
very good with machines hes built the chasis from a guide he baught based on a caterham
all i will need to buy for it will be body panels which i will make, prop shaft, exhaust, fuel tank
a lot of the car is in boxes like the lights ecu etc.

i could buy one yea but i havnt got enough cash to buy a built and registered one..

any more info please ?

thanks again

aaron-wxm

posted on 13/12/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the quick replies
the man who built it really does know his stuff and not a pub drunk lol
very good with machines hes built the chasis from a guide he baught based on a caterham
all i will need to buy for it will be body panels which i will make, prop shaft, exhaust, fuel tank
a lot of the car is in boxes like the lights ecu etc.

i could buy one yea but i havnt got enough cash to buy a built and registered one..

any more info please ?

thanks again

stevegough

posted on 13/12/10 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Current IVA test fee is £ 450.
Retest when it fails (95% fail first time - quote from my IVA tester last week!) is £90.

I bought my kit from ebay - comprising chassis, all bodywork, all wishbones, Sierra donor with new alloys and tyres.
This cost me £1650. Thought I could finish it for maybe 4 to 5 thousand.

Not a hope. Two years building and the total at the moment is just over £9000. AND I have been careful what I have bought.

So - I would hate to put you off - build or buy ready made? - I think you need to make your own decision.

But I will say this - I have enjoyed building mine immensely, and if I was made of money, I would just build another and another. Most satisfying thing I have ever done.

My son bought an MK Indy which had been built by someone else - with absolutely no exaggeration, It spent 99% of its time in the garage being repaired so it could go and do another 20 mins on the road. The build quality was pretty poor.

Welcome to the forum - the guys on here are an excellent fountain of knowledge, extremely helpful and supportive. I don't think I would have been able to finish it without their amazing help!

Whatever you decide - enjoy!

Regards, Steve.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

aaron-wxm

posted on 14/12/10 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
yea i thaught i heard it was £450
9k?!?!? on what mate
i cant see what mojor money you will have to put in unless im just being stupid
decisions decisions :/

thanks

interestedparty

posted on 14/12/10 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aaron-wxm
yea i thaught i heard it was £450
9k?!?!? on what mate
i cant see what mojor money you will have to put in unless im just being stupid
decisions decisions :/

thanks

You are not being stupid, just inexperienced. Nobody can believe how expensive it is to build a kit car (and get it through the test) until they have done it

Do not buy it unless it comes with plenty of photographs of it being built in a domestic environment. If you don't have those, you will be refused a test and will have to either sell it or dismantle and rebuild it, this time with pictures.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

stevegough

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I was making the point that MINE has cost me 9K - and I have been frugal and careful where and how I buy everything. Your build will probably cost more.

I can not answer your question "on what mate?" without typing the list of everything I have bought - what you probably dont realise is the sheer number of parts you need - it is incredible. And everything has to be located before you buy it!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Lime zest

posted on 15/12/10 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Hi guys, i tend to agree with stevegough. The cost can very quickly get out of control. My Avon is going to cost in the region of £14,000....Yikes.....But unlike steve i have spent money on everything and anything. I opted for the major kit from tiger only to find that i didn't like what i got...and 2 years in have found that new IVA regs have ment things that i bought have become unusable!!
Changed the front uprights for the rally design ones, 4 pot calipers, new zetec, new throttle bodies and ecu, swankey wheels and toyo tyres, recon gearbox, new rear diff, digital dash from etb, seats from intatrim, and probably thousands on little bits....

Not a cheap hobby if you have ocd! But go for a kit build rather than part built. Friends of nine opted for the part built option only to find even the best engineer who part built it cocked up in a big way and then decided to get rid.

Best of luck what ever you decide...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.