Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: what first?
speedy123

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
what first?

Right guys havent posted in a while, so here goes.
I ordered my grasshopper plans and they got back to me safe and sound but have now decided to go in another direction.
and need some advice, still wanna build a kit car for my son but after seeing this
http://www.televante.com/project/other/ernestocobra.asp
I kinda wanna build something along the lines of that!
so heres my dilemma!
what should I do 1st build the chassis then the body or design the body and then the chassis?
ive mocked up some drawings of the body I think I wanna make, so was thinking do a carboard mockup then fibreglass and body filla over that then build the chassis under it?
how would you guys go about it?
I know the locost is built around the chassis but cu I wont be following the basic sie and dimensions, what would be easier?
thanks guys

tegwin

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK

It flags up as having a virus :s

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

speedy123

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
oh crap sorry guys
just google ernesto frietes 3/4 scale ac cobra
and youll know what im on bout then thanks for update tegwin

Beg, Borrow and Steal, But always get a reciept

speedy123

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Not flagging a virus to me tho

meany

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=2794&page=&contribmessage=none
speedy123

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
yea thats the guy,
lush isnt she?
any advice then peops?

D Beddows

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Not being funny but I suspect your lad will be old enough to drive a proper car before you finish building that judging by your previous posts....... my advise is build yourself a car (which is what I suspect you actualy want to do) and buy your lad a kart - I suspect you'll then both get what you want

speedy123

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
jesus christ man, ive been polite on this forum for as long as I can, Im 19 years old and have a 5 month old son,
I want to build HIM a car not me! and all I ask is for some help and advice, and all I get is crap replys like that.
ive got no knowledge of chassis design and stuff like that all I want is some help

Confused but excited.

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Dude, chill!
Before you have a stroke, note the smiley face at the end. ie: Comments meant in a friendly way, tongue in cheek etc.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

UncleFista

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedy123
jesus christ man, ive been polite on this forum for as long as I can, Im 19 years old and have a 5 month old son,
I want to build HIM a car not me! and all I ask is for some help and advice, and all I get is crap replys like that.

Almost a whole month you've been polite, I'm a little underwhelmed.

I think what most people are getting at is, you've made almost 50 posts since you signed up a month ago and as far as I can tell you've not started anything yet.
When you've been on here a while you get to know the types of posters who are going to finish a complicated project and the ones who probably aren't.
You have a much better chance of finishing a project if you either buy a cart or build a kit. Scratch bulit is never the easy/quick way...

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

speedy123

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
i know like but surely if you havent got any advice or help then just keep opinions to your self like?
as on my other posts i said im sorry for my repetitive posts but i dont know how to start a project as big as this, ive restored a 1972 beetle but thats it
so all I want is a bit of help
thank you

speedy123

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
im not looking for a quick or easy build,
Im looking for something fun for me to build and fun and lasting for my son.
you may think youv got me sussed but I can tell you now it may take me a couple of years but I will finish this project, as said above I have started drawings and dimensions I want to use, just wanna know chassis or body first simple as that

prawnabie

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Buy some steel and make a start on the chassis. At least then you will get some inspiration then.
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
TBH I'd imagine the hardest bit would be the body. I'm just jumping in here cause I'm short on time to reply, so I'm just going to assume it's a) not going to be raced or b) going on the road. This means stresses, top speed etc. aren't going to be large.
See if you can buy a bodyshell- making something like that takes a lot of time and skill. Once you have a bodyshell build a chassis to fit- just a simple ladder one would probably suffice. For inspiration just do a google images search and copy the basic design. The mechanicals are dead simple, probably look at something like a mini moto.
Just my 2d
Alternatively build one for yourself and occasionally let your son ride in it

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

blue2cv

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
MK currently have scale 7 body panels on E bay, wasnt that your first choice
speedy123

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
ok so im gonna order some steel and get started on the chassis. thanks for advice,
with regards to blue cv
the mnr panels I think your on bout arent to my tasted they seem to curvy tbh but at the same time bulky
as below I have seen a cobra that I like, but looked at the scale of the ones on ebay and they seem very small, so gonna build summit a bit bigger and possibly design my own body, my mate does alot of work with car bodys and fibreglass so hes up for a challenge.
thanks guys

MikeR

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I think i'm the sort of person refered to in previous posts ............ i'm on year 10 of a scratch (ish - ok it technically follows the plans for the original car) build.

Stott

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've had mine since 97, it's been built once but I started again, but I am gonna beat you Mike, so you can then have the longest builder status again!
matt_gsxr

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
hey Speedy,

Sounds like a plan.

Folk here are helpful, although the questions that people post often have nothing to do with the answers (normally, I wouldn't have started that way!). If you get going and show photos then you can prove the doubters wrong.

Enjoy your building,

Matt

dlatch

posted on 15/12/10 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote

the finished article looks fantastic, think the grp work will be the hardest but if you don't try you will never know

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 15/12/10 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
This forum is for car builders to share there knowledge on how to build a real car,
somthing that quite a few on here have, and thousands who cant

Your questions are so vague and non descriptive, it is painfully obvious that you are just trying to wind us all up, or you fall into the catergry "and thousands who cant"

Most forum members on here could if they so wished build a toy car (i built a toylander) by following the instructions supplied with the plans, as it is so easy to READ, and i never needed to write a load of bull on here adout "do i build the chassis or the body first"

I would suggest that you rethink your pie in the sky thoughts, and either buy your son a car, or give up now

Steve

TQ_uk

posted on 15/12/10 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Jeez, give the guy a break - he may have posted a zillion times about the same thing but is obviously enthusiastic & we've all got to start somewhere.
For what its worth I'm also toying with building something for my 2 boys, as a bit of a taster for a build for myself.

Check out http://www.totrods.co.uk for some ideas on chassis' etc ( though the prices are a bit salty for my wallet ).

I'd say either mockup your cardboard body, then build chassis to suit or get a totrod/cobra/whatever style you want and build chassis to fit.
Or get a wooden Landrover kit.... or....

Though as another poster said before, your lad probably won't care what style it is and probably be happy hooning around
in whatever

jabbahutt

posted on 15/12/10 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly off the main topic but if it's for a small child and depnding on the choice of power wouldn't wood be strong enough for a chassis etc. It's easier to work with if you can't weld (like me). Plus couldn't you then use thin ply sheet to construct the body?

The above is just thoughts from someone who can't weld and isn't that good with wood but it may be easier and cheaper to test out theories for layout etc, after all isn't the toylander mostly wood?

Just a thought and good luck, post some pictures when you get going.

speedy123

posted on 15/12/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quit bitching, I asked for advice not abuse
If I wanted a toylander I would dont ya think?
at the end of day its a boring build no real test is it?
so I wanna build something from scratch, so quit having ago and give me some advice or am I rite to assume that seeing as you finished building in 1999 youve actually got no advice to give just crap!

Steve M
thanks for advice ordered my steel today but wont be delivered until new year, trusted seller on ebay with amazing feedback tho so not worried.
so I think ile just get started on the cardboard mock up.
with regards to totrods, they got some luch stuff on there site. yea they a bit pricey but the qaulity is ther.
nice designs to follow tho
thanks

jabbahutt

posted on 16/12/10 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Nice deep breaths everyone and relax. Don't forget tis the season of good will

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.