Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mains impact wrench
andrew-theasby

posted on 15/12/10 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
mains impact wrench

Looking at changing my impact wrench. I have a dewalt dw059 18v cordless one which i did loads of research on and took the plunge and bought the expensive one. Im rather dissapointed with it tbh it wont undo tight wheel nuts.
I can see a couple of 41mm hub nuts coming up shortly, so i cant see it touching them either so was thinking of getting the clarke 240v cew1000 model to replace it. It claims 450nm torque but only rated upto M12? The dewalt equivalent is still 450nm, but less watts and rated upto M20.
Anyone got any experience with the clarke mains powered one please, cause i cant really afford much better, but i want it to undo the tightest nuts i come across, after all thats why im after one, no point buying if it wont! Thanks
CLARKE CEW1000 1/2' ELECTRIC IMPACT GUN 240V (NEW) on eBay (end time 09-Jan-11 14:44:23 GMT)

[Edited on 15/12/10 by andrew-theasby]

James

posted on 16/12/10 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
My normal garage couldn't undo the 41mm rear hub nuts on my donor... and their gun is up to 500nm.

He sent me down the road to a mate's which eventually shifted it.... that was rated at 650nm!

You just can't get the power out of domestic electrics.

Would a compressor and an air gun do what you want?

I'm hardly strong but other than the donor Sierra's hub nuts, I'm yet to find a nut I couldn't do myself!

Cheers,
Jamesb

[Edited on 16/12/10 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Madinventions

posted on 16/12/10 at 01:27 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, no direct experience of mains impact wrenches, but wouldn't you be better off with a good quality socket and a length of scaffold pole for the hub nuts?

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

GMPMotorsport

posted on 16/12/10 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
As previously said, a good quality socket & a length of tube, there aren't many impact wrenches that will undo a tight hub nut.

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 16/12/10 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
In the absence of a big power impact wrench;

I wouldnt use a scaffold bar, through fear of shearing something off or breaking something attached to you (yes ive done that with some nasty injuries, then had to drill and tap). A good long wrench bar is all thats needed, with some decisive squirting......

Give it a liberal dose of WD-40 or other penetrating oil, adding to it every hour or so. You could even leave it overnight and apply some more the following morning. Either way, leave it soaking in for a good few hours if its that tight.

Then have a go at it. If it still doesnt budge, then clean off the excess WD (as its flammable) and apply some gentle heat to the outside of the nut, until the heat starts to transfer to the hub. Give it another go and if you persevere, then you should get it off. Brute force isnt always the best option, though i have to say (as have others) a big impact wrench would probably do this particular job.

I also have an air powered impact wrench that hasnt failed me yet, but it is very course and only really for use on large items or wheels.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Confused but excited.

posted on 16/12/10 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Locost impact wrench; Flogging spanner and a lump hammer.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

hobbsy

posted on 16/12/10 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I used a fairly cheap and dirty (Lidl/Aldi special I think) mains powered one that geoff_xt on here (local) kindly let me borrow.

I was quite impressed as it can maintain its power whereas a battery one starts dropping off after a while (as it goes flat) and a compressor powered one obviously weakens a bit as the pressure drops (unless you have a massive compressor).

For the money if you want a rattle gun and being tied to a mains cable doesn't bother you I'd consider one. They are a lot cheaper than another battery one and not much more than the cheapest air rattle guns (which need a LOT more spending on a decent compressor to suit).

But as others have said a big breaker bar and a technique so you don't hurt yourself often does the trick. Jim Giblett showed me a technique where you kinda wiggle the bar rather than just go nuts and you're less likely to hurt yourself if it lets go suddenly.

greggors84

posted on 16/12/10 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
As said you are unlikely to be able to remove hub nuts with an electric impact gun. We have some 18v Makita guns rated at 440nm and they will undo a wheel nut torqued to 125lb/ft but not much more. Anything bigger and we have some guns that use dive bottles with regs set to 12bar/168 psi

[Edited on 16/12/2010 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

permanentlaze

posted on 21/1/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Cordless Impact Wrenches

When looking at cordless impact wrenches, what is important in terms of the specifications. I have seen a few online at around £100 that seem ok, but the greatest seem to be the 400nm one; Can someone recommend/ tell me how I should compare the following:

www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=142697

www.amazon.co.uk/Cordless-Impact-Wrench-batteries-Torque/dp/B0038YER7M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&;qid=1295571130&sr=8-4

www.maplin.co.uk/24v-cordless-half-inch-impact-wrench-223524?clickref=mse_1295509250766maplinmultiuk&;c=affilwin57997&t=41513_26616460

www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-70789-Impact-Battery-Charger/dp/B000WDTIOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&;qid=1295571062&sr=8-1

Many thanks

MikeR

posted on 21/1/11 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Instead of wd-40 i'd strongly reconmend plus-gas. It seems to be far better.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.