Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to Upload your Megasquirt File
GavR

posted on 16/12/10 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
How to Upload your Megasquirt File

Hi Guys,

I have a MK 2.0l Zetec Blacktop with R6 Throttle Bodies running on Megasquirt (Not sure what version) and Im wanting to check if its running too rich.

I have my suspicions (Strong petrol smell, low MPG and black deposits on the plugs) I just want to get it checked out.

I have never dealt with Megasquirt before ,I would like to find out how to see if my car is running rich.

How would I do this? Would I need to compare some figures?

Any suggestions are welcome, I just want make sure that its not overfueling or running to rich

Cheers

Gav

matt_gsxr

posted on 16/12/10 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a Wideband AFR (Lambda probe) in the exhaust wired into the Megasquirt?

Assuming you have:
Find a PC that has a serial port, or get a PC with USB and get a USB to serial port adapter.
Download TunerStudio software
Plug the serial into the megasquirt so that they are talking (this can be tricky)
Look at the AFR dial on the TunerStudio display
Maybe collect a datalog of a run

You may need to configure TunerStudio so that it knows what Wideband you are using, the megasquirt takes input from the wideband as a simple voltage.

Easiest would be to find someone local who can get you started.

Matt

GavR

posted on 16/12/10 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your post.

I think I have one but I will have to check.

I will download tunerstudio when I get home, i have a laptop and the connecter and the car also has the adapter built in

Would I be able to do this while the car is idling? Just because the car is currently SORN because of winter

What do I need to look for or do while its plugged in and talking?

Also.....

Is there any local people are South Yorkshire who could help? Im in Barnsley.

Gav

matt_gsxr

posted on 16/12/10 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Gav,

Sounds like you should be able to have a go.
The benefit of tunerstudio is that it works out which version of code you are running and is generally more intelligent than the megasquirt (the previous viewer of status).

Communications: Comm Settings, is your ownly real problem. You should be able to find out which port the serial cable is on using "port-checker" (this comes on the megasquirt software release and is a little cmd based tool). This will also tell you the baud rate 9600 (for MS1) or 115200 for MS2 (I think), and which software version it is running. It is also good as it checks the comms.

Here is a link to a useful MS page:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/serial_setup.html

You can see whether the mixture is too rich at idle, whilst idling. This will be via the Air:Fuel Ratio gauge on the "Gauge Cluster" this will be shown by default on the screen.

I don't know how you can check that the wideband is calibrated correctly. You could put it in fresh air and then the AFR should go off-scale lean but its not much of a test really. Maybe stick the lamba probe up the exhaust of your pre-warmed tin-top to check.

You won't be able to see what it is like at any other load conditions unless you can go out on the road. But you knew that.

If running rich then worth checking that the temperatures are correct from the water sensor.

Matt

SPYDER

posted on 16/12/10 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Like matt suggests, download TunerStudio onto a laptop or PC and get the MS connected up..
Tuner Studio will interrogate the ECU and help making the connection.
Make sure all the sensors are operating correctly ie. throttle position, coolant temp, air temp.
Has the engine always had these symptoms? Despite the suspected richness does the car start OK and rev to the redline etc?
Depending on which version of MS you have and if you have a wideband exhaust sensor fitted or not then you may be able to access MS's self tuning features.
Could you contact the previous owner to find out which version you are running?
Is there a vacuum connection from the intake to the Fuel pressure relief valve? Is it OK?
Once you get to grips with Tunerstudio you can datalog all the parameters during a drive. You can view this log back in the workshop and make any adjustments. You can also post this log on the MS forums help section (if it is a genuine ECU. The circuit boards are widely copied)
Whereabouts in S.Yorks are you?

You could always junk the MS and get an OMEX or an Emerald. I don't mean it, I just thought I would say it before someone else does.
MS can be tricky but give it a chance before writing it off. My car runs MS in an unusual coil on plug configuration. I have had few problems in five years and nothing that I couldn't sort out myself.

Edited....I missed the two previous posts while typing. I see you're in Barnsley.

[Edited on 16/12/10 by SPYDER]

matt_gsxr

posted on 16/12/10 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding temperatures it is a bit complicated.

If you have standard GM temperature sensors (as MS expects) then its easy.

If you have MS2 then the temperature sensor calibrations are stored on the MS2 (I think) so assuming whoever set the MS up did this properly you are fine whatever sensors you have.

If you have MS1 and non GM sensors, then you may need to recalibrate things (EasyTherm) as TunerStudio will not read the sensors correctly (I think).

It was a while back when I sorted that out. Dodgy temperature values with an MS1 might just mean the calibrations in TunerStudio are wrong and the MS1 is doing the right thing.

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.