Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Glow Plug Lamp
donny

posted on 21/12/10 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Glow Plug Lamp

Hi Folks,
I've been through the archives but can't find an answer. Our tintop is a Renault Scenic with a 1.9TDi engine. It starts and runs fine. However after around 20 mins the glow plug lamp comes on. It stays on for around 5 minutes or so then goes off. This happens randomly through a journey and does not seem to affect the car. We have a 4.5 hour journey to Sheffield this week so I'm keen to find out if I should be worried about anything. I put it down to the very cold weather.

Has anyone had this problem or can they shed some light on it?

Thanks in advance,
Donny.

MikeRJ

posted on 21/12/10 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
The glow plug lamp on these doubles as a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). It should have a fault code recorded.
donny

posted on 21/12/10 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mike,
thanks. Long story short - the battery was flat / gubbed and this was low battery voltage indicator. New battery from the helpful Tony at qwiklube in Edinburgh (friend's recommendation) fixed it. They also hooked up a diagnostic tool to confirm and reset the fault codes.

Donny.

donny

posted on 11/1/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Glow Plug Lamp - Update

Hi all,
just a quick update. It was not only the battery that was causing this lamp to come on. Apparently there is a known issue with the exhaust gas recycle (EGR) valve. Mine was sticking and eventually failed. ALso, the disk in the valve which regulates flow is only a push fit. When this works loose, the valve passes. This will end up being so bad that the exhaust gases poison the engine and it will not run.

There is a temporary fix (should the AA have known this?). The valve can be rotated 180 degrees and used as a blank to block the flow - to get the car running again. This is not a cheap part. The new valve has a modified connection to the disk so this should not happen again.

Cheers,
Donny

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.