Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is there a chart of bike engines by hp or whats the cheapest 150ish hp bec engine install
bigbravedave

posted on 4/1/11 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a chart of bike engines by hp or whats the cheapest 150ish hp bec engine install

8 years ago when I wanted 180 ish hp, the choice of bike engine was pretty much zx12 or Bussa. I ended up with a bargain of the century ZX12 from a mispelt ebay listing and a road trip to scotland.

For the next project Im looking for 150 ish hp for a middy but have been out of scene for that long that I really don't know the market.

So "que can of worms" is there a hp chart for bike engines (including year) from high to low that people use these days with a column for what needs to be done to it in the way of sump etc to paint an idea of installation price.

Or what do people reccomend for the cheapest 150 ish hp BEC engine kit (going in a middy if that makes a difference to sump etc)

Many Thanks in advance

MakeEverything

posted on 4/1/11 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Look for the older bike engines like the blackbird or old R1. You can tune them up to the required power if thats not enough.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

russbost

posted on 4/1/11 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
ZZR1100 - buy for around tuppence - 147 bhp derestricted, 135 with restriction IIRC - totally bomproof!

[Edited on 4/1/11 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Yazza54

posted on 4/1/11 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Look for the older bike engines like the blackbird or old R1. You can tune them up to the required power if thats not enough.

All the r1s make that power STD.

Mine was 160 on the rollers and should be a bit more now. 5PW injected R1 2003 model. Cheap, powerful, light, reliable... No need for dry sump unlike blackbird. Just needs baffle plate. Blackbird also has a weak gearbox I heard.

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

phelpsa

posted on 4/1/11 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
Watercooled (or oilcooled if you like a challenge...) GSXR1100 engine.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_l

posted on 5/1/11 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
I just bought a spare engine because it was cheap 2001r1 5jj 150bhp 11k I bought engine clocks manifold loom ecu coils everything to make it run in a car for £400 top notch nice and clean engine bought out of our very own for sale section

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

orton1966

posted on 5/1/11 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigbravedave
So "que can of worms" is there a hp chart for bike engines (including year) from high to low that people use these days with a column for what needs to be done to it in the way of sump etc to paint an idea of installation price.

There is a good list with HP and model years in Tony Pashley's book "How to build motorcycle engined racing cars" also a very good book and worth having

snapper

posted on 5/1/11 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Try emailing the Kit car mags, I know an in-depth article was printed last year with bhp chart but can't remember which one

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

bigbravedave

posted on 5/1/11 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers all, thats good to know, Im looking for something commonly used so there's some experience on it, and preferably injected, early r1 sounds like a plan. I really must read that building motorcycle engined car book.
Colnago_Man

posted on 5/1/11 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Not a complete list but a good starting point http://westfield-world.com/enginespecs_bike.html
adithorp

posted on 5/1/11 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigbravedave
Cheers all, thats good to know, Im looking for something commonly used so there's some experience on it, and preferably injected, early r1 sounds like a plan. I really must read that building motorcycle engined car book.

02-03 R1 its that bill. 150+bhp, injected, lots done, just needs a sump baffle fitting and a power commnder.
You'll get a bit more power from an 04-06R1 and an extra 1000rpm but it needs a simple mod' to the breather system in addition to the sump baffle and PC... and it'll cost more

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

matt_gsxr

posted on 5/1/11 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
gsxr1100wp 156bhp on the site we won't name for £250.

Also pre 94 (probably) so easy emissions.

If I were you I'd spend more and get a zx10r as they are nice and an easier 1 man lift.

Matt

Hellfire

posted on 5/1/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ultimately it depends what your budget is. Why restrict yourself to 150bhp if more can be had for your budget.....

Phil

Marky911

posted on 5/1/11 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

02-03 R1 its that bill. 150+bhp, injected, lots done, just needs a sump baffle fitting and a power commnder.
You'll get a bit more power from an 04-06R1 and an extra 1000rpm but it needs a simple mod' to the breather system in addition to the sump baffle and PC... and it'll cost more

Hi adithorp,
I'm using the 04-06 R1 engine in mine. Totally standard I think. Have only learned about baffle plates and things recently. Yikes! Going to fit one over the winter.
Anyway, what's the breather mod you're refering to, a pipe off the rocker cover to a catch tank? due to the heavy breathing when running with an overfill of oil? Also, what's the PC? I'm probably missing something obvious, so excuse me if I am. I haven't long been awake. Bloody nightshifts!

Doh! yep I was missing something simple. Power Commander.

[Edited on 5/1/11 by Marky911]

adithorp

posted on 5/1/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, PC=PowerCommander.
Breather mod is done either breather pipe attached through cam cover or using the AIS valve housings (there's a thread detailing how somewhere on here) and then T that into the gearbox breather and direct to a catch tank.

Marky911

posted on 9/1/11 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yep, PC=PowerCommander.
Breather mod is done either breather pipe attached through cam cover or using the AIS valve housings (there's a thread detailing how somewhere on here) and then T that into the gearbox breather and direct to a catch tank.

Hi Adithorp, I actually replied to this the other day but, it mustn't have posted?!

My AIS ports have machined plates covering them so I'm guessing I'll have to drill the rocker cover and weld an outlet pipe on? Or is there a factory fitted outlet somewhere?
I haven't noticed a gearbox breather, but I haven't looked at the car since September so I'll have to re-familiarise myself with it.
Cheers, Mark.

Yazza54

posted on 9/1/11 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marky911
quote:
Yep, PC=PowerCommander.

Hi Adithorp, I actually replied to this the other day but, it mustn't have posted?!

My AIS ports have machined plates covering them so I'm guessing I'll have to drill the rocker cover and weld an outlet pipe on? Or is there a factory fitted outlet somewhere?
I haven't noticed a gearbox breather, but I haven't looked at the car since September so I'll have to re-familiarise myself with it.
Cheers, Mark.

Hello mark!

How's the global going?

Errr. Don't mean to hijack the thread etc.

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

Marky911

posted on 9/1/11 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Yazza, I'd noticed you popping up in here and had been meaning to say hi. I read your flatshifter thread the other day. Glad you got sorted.
I haven't used the Global since Sep but, had at least finally got it reliable by then. I'm busy with housey stuff at the minute but looking forward to getting stuck into the car next month. I've just ordered a sump baffle plate and clutch kit inc. springs. Then it's body off and paint scheme change.
I see yours is still going strong, it seems very reliable. Don't answer that incase you jinx it!
Bye for now.

OP, sorry for going OT aswell.

adithorp

posted on 10/1/11 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marky911

Cheers, Mark.

The only factory fitted breather is on the top of the gearbox below the throttle bodies. If due to oil swill the oil level rises to the level of that pipe the crankcase presure forces the oil up the breather. If the breather feeds to the air-box (as standard) it goes through the throttles and can cause hydralic lock and engine damage in extreme conditions (or just blue smoke if your lucky). If it feeds a catch tank then that soon fills (and the engine oil level drops). By fitting a second breather on the cam cover the crank presure can still escape and so doesn't push the oil out. Feeding the breather to a catch is just a secondary precaution. All I get in my catch tank is condensation if doing short trips and nothing on long trips or track days.

If you don't have the AIS valve covers then you might be able to get some sort of pipe fitting to screw through the cover rather than welding.

Marky911

posted on 10/1/11 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
OK. thanks Adi,
I'll have a good look when I dig the car out, hopefully within the next few weeks. My sump baffle arrived today. New clutch and clutch springs coming next week. Roll on, spring time!
Cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.