Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Heaters reduce my engine temp - VAG TDi
Kriss

posted on 7/1/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Heaters reduce my engine temp - VAG TDi

All,

Still a bit stuck on ym heaters and water temp ont he car and worried that the cold weather is masking an issue that will become apprent when the weather warms up.

Fitted a new stat to my 1.9TDi A4 the other weekend. Before the water temp was only getting as far as 70 deg max (90 deg is normal middle temp)

Now the car will eventually get to 90 deg and stay at it for a whole drive (motorway) I did over 300 miles and the temp stayed at a constant 90.

However, around town, if I blast the heaters, it significantly reduces the water temp on the guage.

Hoping this is an airlock but would like to know the signs of the more scary stuff like a broken/bust water pump etc?

As said, the stat is new, alognw ith the water temp sender unit, its performing better with the new stat according to the engine water temp climbing to 90 degree, just thinking I have cocked up the coolant fill.

BenB

posted on 7/1/11 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Couldn't it just be normal? Running the heater will take a fair bit of heat out of the coolant therefore dropping temperatures. I seem to recall it's a good trick to use if the radiator fan stops working.
britishtrident

posted on 7/1/11 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Blank off part of the radiator air flow in really cold weather, 60 to 70% usuually works. The ideal is just to stop cold air blasting directly on to the core but still allow to draw air in so the engine won't over heat in traffic.

On my own car I have neatly fitted black plastic (translate a heavy duty bin bag) behind the grill.

T66

posted on 7/1/11 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
What is the operating temp of your engine ? as per VW

My Saab runs anywhere between 78 & 86c - And varies up and down during a journey.

I would expect the heater on full tilt to drop the temps as it is a radiator, as previously pointed out.

Since I have had the Saab front end off, and the radiator flushed, new hoses etc my car runs hotter than it used too, It did have me flapping for a while, but all seems well.

bigbravedave

posted on 7/1/11 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
It is pretty normal on the older tdi engines, I have exactly the same issues on mk3 tdi golfs, I did 250,000 miles on the first one like this.

The reason is that they are that efficient that they take an age to warm up and with the heater on it will drop the temp.

on ocasions when doors have been frozen solid I have clambered in and turned the blower and heater to max at the end of a journey so I can open the door. after 10 min of full heat and blower driving at 30 mph it will bring the temp needle nearly to the rest.

I have driven VAG tdi's in winter without the engine undertray on and that makes a huge difference to the temp gauge.

I currently have a golf mk3 estate, at -9 on the motorway at 70 ish it can start to feel chilly inside with the heater on full bore.

I do recall in the VAG ETKA parts book they did sell radiator covers for cold climates

vinny1275

posted on 7/1/11 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Couldn't it just be normal? Running the heater will take a fair bit of heat out of the coolant therefore dropping temperatures. I seem to recall it's a good trick to use if the radiator fan stops working.

I used to have to have the heater on in my old mini in the summer if I was in traffic for more than about 3 minutes, just to stop it overheating...

The Shootist

posted on 7/1/11 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty normal..

I run about 70C in winter unless I'm running it pretty hard.
speedyxjs

posted on 7/1/11 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
My old astra never used to move from the bottom of the gauge during the winter even with hard driving.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Kriss

posted on 7/1/11 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
so, its there the potential then that I have fucked something?

The old stat was not stuck oen when removed, however the new one has given me significant improved (higher) water temps on back to back tests with no more than a couple of degrees change in outside temp.

I just assumed the old stat was opening too quickly due to age? (up to 7 years old)

Ben_Copeland

posted on 7/1/11 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds fairly normal. a lot of cars will drop the temperature a bit with heater on full because your basically added another radiator to the system and blasting air through it....

Years ago we had an old transit and if you sat in traffic with the heaters on you'd eventually find it would be blowing cold because the temperature had dropped so much.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.