Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Readers cars thread?
Marky911

posted on 9/1/11 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Readers cars thread?

Hi, I'm reasonably new on here so excuse me if I've missed it but, is there no readers cars thread?
Most websites have one stickied somewhere. I'm not saying I'd be the first to post but, would eventually. It's just good to view peoples progress and problems/solutions, etc.
Only real rule that should be adhered to is car name in thread title, to save people looking at something they're not interested in. Although to be honest there's such a good mix of cars in here, I think most things are worth a look at anyway.

stevegough

posted on 9/1/11 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the best kit car forum on the planet, Mark. -Not too sure what you mean about 'readers car threads, but if everyone had one stickyed up it would be a bloody long stickyyyy bit as there are 9000+ of us!

Most people have their car's progress documented in their photo archive - click the small black arrow in the left column to view.

Regards, Steve.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

designer

posted on 9/1/11 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Some members do have sites. See the 'WWW' button at the bottom of a post.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 9/1/11 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Project subforums can only improve a car forum. Photo archives and links to blogs in sigs are really poor imho, in terms of knowing when something is updated, and often you won't know about a project all together. A single thread for all readers cars would ge way too busy, a project thread for each member keeps things easy to follow. Project subforums tie everything together nicely. Example

[Edited on 9/1/11 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 9/1/11 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
The problem I find with Project Sub Forums is that they can get very, very long, and tedious to find what you could be looking due to the amount of photos.
Benzine

posted on 9/1/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
The problem I find with Project Sub Forums is that they can get very, very long, and tedious to find what you could be looking due to the amount of photos.

I presume you mean a thread and not a sub forum? A thread that all members posted in would, indeed, be a pain to find things in. Subforums are easy to find things in (see example link I posted)

[Edited on 9/1/11 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

MakeEverything

posted on 9/1/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marky911
Hi, I'm reasonably new on here so excuse me if I've missed it but, is there no readers cars thread?
Most websites have one stickied somewhere. I'm not saying I'd be the first to post but, would eventually. It's just good to view peoples progress and problems/solutions, etc.
Only real rule that should be adhered to is car name in thread title, to save people looking at something they're not interested in. Although to be honest there's such a good mix of cars in here, I think most things are worth a look at anyway.

In my case, i have a thread called "Update" and a blog link at the bottom of each post.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Marky911

posted on 9/1/11 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Hi steve, yep it is a great site, really glad I heard about it!
Yes guys, I should have been clearer. I meant a sub-forum with separate threads in, with car model in each thread title.
I hadn't noticed the photo archive bit. That's OK if you happen to stumble across someones post and notice what they're building but, it doesn't really bring it to peoples attention and get people talking.
Plus, as you mention, updates aren't easy to spot.
I guess the info is out there though, if we need it, which is the main thing.
Cheers.

MakeEverything

posted on 9/1/11 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marky911
Hi steve, yep it is a great site, really glad I heard about it!
Yes guys, I should have been clearer. I meant a sub-forum with separate threads in, with car model in each thread title.
I hadn't noticed the photo archive bit. That's OK if you happen to stumble across someones post and notice what they're building but, it doesn't really bring it to peoples attention and get people talking.
Plus, as you mention, updates aren't easy to spot.
I guess the info is out there though, if we need it, which is the main thing.
Cheers.

Updates are easy to spot, as you can subscribe to a thread which will email you with notification of the update.

So youre looking for an index of builds on one place? Maybe thats something that ChrisW (He who must be obeyed) could write in as a separate page.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Marky911

posted on 9/1/11 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Richard,
yep, that's what I meant. Just a general gathering of everyones projects/running reports, in one place. Peoples threads can contain as much or as little as they wanted, from a full blown build-from-scratch or just a new part the're trying out. Also whatever trips they've done in their cars, whether it be a Foreign tour or a Trackday.
I'm not trying to push for this in a big way or anything, I just wondered if I was missing one somewhere, or if anyone else was interested in a one.
Thanks for the info though. Like I say I hadn't noticed the photo-archive sections.
Cheers, Mark.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.