Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hesitation exiting right hand corners
Robster

posted on 10/1/11 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hesitation exiting right hand corners

Hi all,

I'm sure most are aware of the problem as it's been discussed before - on the throttle exiting sharp right hand corners I'm getting a moments hesitation before the engine picks up properly.

I used to have the issue when I started out in the Locost series a couple of years back, and the recommended solution was to fit a fuel pressure regulator to reduce the fuel pressure to the carb. I did and all seemed well until the final race last year at Oulton - exiting the right hand part of Brittens the hesitation/stuttering was back, every lap, no matter how I tried to alter my line through the chicane, which of course meant I was slow all the way down the following straight to Knickerbrook. V.V. frustrating!

I (think) I've seen mentioned somewhere (can't find where tho) that altering the float height in the carb may help?
I'm running the usual Weber 32 DGV carb that most in Locost run - will tweaking the float heights help? Which way should I go - increase the lower setting (which I think will increase the amount of fuel in the carb) or reduce it? Any ideas how much?

Any ideas appreicated - trying to solve an old problem that I thought was history is driving me mad!
Cheers, Rob.

snapper

posted on 10/1/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a baffled tank or a swirl pot?
If not could be fuel moving away from the pickup in the tank

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

r1_pete

posted on 10/1/11 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
As above it could be tank starvation.

Regarding float, it depends on the orientation of the float relative to the chokes.

If its to the right it will tend to overfuel on right handers, if its to the left it will under fuel.

Front or back it can just be the centrefugal force of cornering preventing fuel getting to the relavent jet, slightly raising the float level may help.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Robster

posted on 11/1/11 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thx both for the replies. Yes the tank is baffled, has a swirl pot & the pickup is on the extreme left of the tank so going through right handers there's no risk of fuel starvation due to tank pickup.

Orientation - the floats are in front of the chokes. So if it is centrifugal force causing the issue, surely it would also happen exiting left hand corners???

samuelgill

posted on 12/1/11 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

32 DGV's don't need much pressure at all. I set the float levels iaw the book and just kept backing off the pressure till the issue went away

Sam Gill

[Edited on 12/1/11 by samuelgill]

Robster

posted on 17/1/11 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thx Sam, I'll try reducing the pressure further then, easier than fiddling with the floats
procomp

posted on 18/1/11 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

This problem is present on more than a few of the cars that race in the championship. The basic settings such as 3-4 PSI at the carb and a float height set at 38mm - 41mm depending on the angle of the manifold on your manifold and angle of engine in the car will see the very basics set. From there it gets complex due to the different carbs and combination of power valves fitted if any and pump jet and regular jetting. Whats required usually to get the best results is a test session whilst running a lambda gauge and data logger to establish whether your chasing a richness or weakness problem. ( service we offer ) from there you know where to go looking for the problem.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.