Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reverse Motor for a chain driven TR1KE
The Venom Project

posted on 18/1/11 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse Motor for a chain driven TR1KE

Hi Guys,

Just wondered who may have done a suitable system to operate on an R1 engine using the orginal chain and rear wheel?

I am building a reverse trike with a fairly chunky rear car wheel, so my thought was to fit a caravan motor mover onto a beefy frame I can operate from my seating position, does anyone have a less bulkier or lighter better option?

I have plenty of room to mount the motor mover direct onto the rear wheel hitting it where the hugger would cover.

I had seen that Lynx were making a starter motor unit with a front sprocket custom made to replace the original one and add a toothed gear that engages with the Starter, but I have found Starter reverse units a bit poo, but if its the only 2 ideas on the market it will have to be one or the other.

Any pics would be great to get an idea?

Cheers

Nick

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

blakep82

posted on 18/1/11 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
don't think you need reverse on a trike do you? wouldn't it be tested under MSVA, rather than IVA?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MK9R

posted on 18/1/11 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
check out bobs reverse on his BDN,
http://www.furybusa.org.uk/blog/?m=201010

I have used the same starter motor and 56 tooth gear and mounted it to my prop on the fury

It works fantastically well!!!

The motor is a honda civic one 1996-2000, but there are loads of similiar ones about

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Venom Project

posted on 18/1/11 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Its not if its needed, its what I need :-) How crap does it look not being able to reverse your trike, and getting out and pushing it into a space. hahahaha. Yes true, tested under MSVA, but I personally wish to have a good working reverse system. I think my idea is pretty good with motor mover unit, I am going to make more checks into it on Saturday at the Kit Car company. Just wondered if anyone had been down this route. Like I say, its a personal choice, it isnt required for MSVA, and may not even be done for the MSVA, just in case they want to be awkward, as I know they can be.

Cheers

[Edited on 18/1/11 by The Venom Project]

The Venom Project

posted on 18/1/11 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
check out bobs reverse on his BDN,
http://www.furybusa.org.uk/blog/?m=201010

I have used the same starter motor and 56 tooth gear and mounted it to my prop on the fury

It works fantastically well!!!

The motor is a honda civic one 1996-2000, but there are loads of similiar ones about

Cheers for that, but I don't have a propshaft, I am working on a standard layout R1, its a reverse trike, engine behind the seats, original swingarm, original rear wheel / chain etc.

Cheers

MK9R

posted on 18/1/11 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thats why i said have a look at bobs BDN

his reverse sprocket bolts straight onto engine side chain sprocket. Just thought i'd post my picture as uses same starter motor and gear set up (although on my prop), but is on the bench and easy to see

[Edited on 18/1/11 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Venom Project

posted on 18/1/11 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
Thats why i said have a look at bobs BDN

his reverse sprocket bolts straight onto engine side chain sprocket. Just thought i'd post my picture as uses same starter motor and gear set up (although on my prop), but is on the bench and easy to see

[Edited on 18/1/11 by MK9R]

Spot cheers, do you know if he purchased this as a kit from Lynx? Or is it a fabricated job done personally?

Cheers will measure and see if I can accomodate this in the spaceframe

Nick

scootz

posted on 18/1/11 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Nick

I was asking this Q at the Autosport show for my trike and the general consensus is that the 'double-drive-sprocket' and starter motor was the way to go!

You mentioned you wanted a wide rear... me too! Are you making your own swingarm and hub-assy?

It's Evolution Baby!

The Venom Project

posted on 18/1/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Hi Nick

I was asking this Q at the Autosport show for my trike and the general consensus is that the 'double-drive-sprocket' and starter motor was the way to go!

You mentioned you wanted a wide rear... me too! Are you making your own swingarm and hub-assy?

Hiya,

To be honest long before my MNR build I was designing, fabricating and welding my own reverse trike 2 seater up, it was going well, but the MNR took over, and after the rolling road incident, I decided to not pursue my own project, I am opting for the MEV TR1KE, when I say chunky tyre, its only going to be a 195 wide one on the standard R1 rim, my own trike would have been having a custom swingarm made in Miami and the rear wheel was going to be spun up at Midland Wheels, I seem to remember the swingarm being about £2300 and the wheel around £700, and that would have given me a 335 wide tyre like the Campagna T-Rex, infact all my work was based around it looking like the T-Rex.

After speaking to MEV at Newark in 2009, they were on with designing what I was building, but 4 months later, theres was built ;-)

I have been out in it, and I have to say now I have seen it in the flesh, and been in it, its great fun, exactly what I need to get over the MNR.

The added bonus of making a super wide back end is that it opens you up to fitting a bigger selection of Reverse Boxes specifically designed for motorbike chains. ranging from £300 to £1000

The problem for me was, money, after my MNR issue, I simply had no more money left. £3000 for a swingarm and wheel and still a mass of build to do, was just not going to happen soon.

This is why I have now sold my toys, and will hopefully be on with building this beast maybe not ready this year, but defo rocking for next.

Good luck with your build,

Cheers

Nick

scootz

posted on 18/1/11 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Good stuff!

I think I'll be looking towards the sidecar racing boys for the back-end to mine... I want a really wiiiiiiiide bum!

That said, a Triumph Rocket swingarm will take a 250 section tyre, but it's a shaftie so you would have to turn the engine through 90 degree's and take a prop off the sprocket. Just as well I'm in no rush for this one... !

It's Evolution Baby!

BobM

posted on 20/1/11 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Venom ProjectSpot cheers, do you know if he purchased this as a kit from Lynx? Or is it a fabricated job done personally?

It was supplied by Brian Baldwin of BDN (http://www.bdnsportscars.com). I think the gear itself is a reasonably standard part although I'm not sure where from. Brian has drilled the gear then drilled and tapped the bike sprocket for the 3 fixing bolts. Drilling and tapping the bike sprocket was apparently the tricky bit. What you can't see is the thin shaft on the back of the gear which locates inside the gearbox shaft.

Not very Locost but very BEC

Colin handley

posted on 20/12/15 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
bobs reverse

hi im new to this forum and looking for advice . i noticed that back on 18.1.11 their was a post called bobs reverse . this was a gear mated to a prop shaft and driven by a honda civic starter . im curantly building a kawazaki gtr 1000 engine based trike . and am interested in finding out what 56 tooth gear was used in bobs reverse and possibly where it was sorsed from . this would help me greatly. any info would be appreciated . my email is .evilironhorse@hotmail.co.uk many thanks colin.
daniel mason

posted on 20/12/15 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a full setup minus the ring gear from a mk6 Jedi for sale.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.