Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using Mondeo steering column?
AdrianH

posted on 19/1/11 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Using Mondeo steering column?

When I picked up a zetec engine some time ago, I also got the column, switchgear, cowl and wheel etc. As the Sierra columns seems to be getting very sought after, I started to think about fitting the Mondeo one. This is an adjustable column and looks to me as though it could be possible to use on next build if a plate is fastened from the top of the n section down to the cross member under scuttle area.

It looks a bit heavier the the sierra column but again mine is non adjustable.

col1
col1

col2
col2

Would be interested in knowing if anyone tried or has gone down this route.

I will also be asking Premier looms if the can do a loom to match the Mondeo switchgear, there may be very little difference?

Cheers

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

nick205

posted on 19/1/11 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Can't see why not to use it.

I can't see from the pics, but I assume it's got a collapsable element built into it?

Obviously it will be collapsable in the OE fitment in the Mondeo, but that could be partly in the way it's secured to the body shell.

AdrianH

posted on 19/1/11 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
I hope it is collapsible, Not described in the manual, there is the slide bit at the top? I can not thing the main bulkhead was squish-able but not sure, the column was bolted on with 4 decent size bolts to it I know that.

I wonder if the fact it has an air-bag in the wheel it would not have the collapse-able section? The bag will have to be removed and the void filed.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

stuleah

posted on 20/1/11 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
We use them on the valdris, fully adjustable and collapsible. Just remove the airbag befor iva, quite easy to do.
Bear in mind they dont make a steering wheel hub for them, but you can find info on th web on how you convert the original wheel into a teering wheel boss.

shh120m

posted on 31/1/11 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
hi guys, I have just succesfully installed the mondeo column into the haynes chassis, there are some details in the following thread:

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5718

coozer

posted on 31/1/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to post this but neither of the pics look like a Mondeo column... I say that as being the QA engineer for the Mondeo from 2000 to 2007 we made 6.5m columns....

This is a Mondeo/X type/DB9 column.. the only difference is the connection to the rack is different on them all...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

shh120m

posted on 1/2/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, the column you have there is from the second generation mondeo, mine was taken from a P reg, and is identical to the one in adrianH's pic. You dont find many newer mondeos in scrappys hence i chose the old shape. Just out of interest, is the power steering on the newer mondeo done with a motor on the column like some other modern cars?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.