Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What was wrong with the MGF & TF?
Richard Quinn

posted on 23/1/11 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
What was wrong with the MGF & TF?

Just interested in a bit of discussion really...
What was wrong with the MGF & MGTF? I know that it was shunned by the MG purists but it was a rwd British 2 seater sports car with a mid-mounted K Series. OK, so the K Series wasn't without it's issues but other marques have managed ok with it? What were the major issues with it and why didn't / don't people like it?

Discuss...

PSpirine

posted on 23/1/11 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know why people didn't like it, but I can tell you why they have rock-bottom prices now.

My friend has one and she's had nothing but trouble with it. Literally everything that could break, broke at one point or another. Lived up to the stereotype!

Mind you, they are cracking little cars, and if you buy one expecting it to go wrong at some point (most of the failures are not preventable as such), you'll be laughing.

plentywahalla

posted on 23/1/11 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think MG purists would like anything that didn't have cart springs and a steering wheel the size of a dustbin lid.
MikeR

posted on 23/1/11 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I think the issues were,

1) perceived K series reliability
2) driving position - you sat on it, not in it
3) rapidly classed as a hair dryer car
4) I believe improved suspenion on later revisions (the implication being the early hydroelastic cars were a little 'comfortable'.
5) build quality
6) looks - not as classic sweeping lines as the MX5
7) oh yeah ......... the class leading, restablishing the brand, iconic MX5
8) rover reliability

David Jenkins

posted on 23/1/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Mike,

I think you've said it all, indirectly.

The MX5 arrived on the market at roughly the same time - and that was a fun 2-seater sports car with mainstream car reliability, at roughly the same cost (or maybe cheaper). The MG didn't stand a chance...

mediabloke

posted on 23/1/11 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
...And you needed tiny feet to fit the pedal box.
As has been said, it didn't seem to do anything that the MX-5 or MR2 roadster didn't do better.

[Edited on 23/1/11 by mediabloke]

MikeRJ

posted on 23/1/11 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mediabloke
...And you needed tiny feet to fit the pedal box.

I've not found that at all, I drive my dads MGF on occasion and it's perfectly comfortable for my size 11's. Small French hatchbacks are another matter though...

britishtrident

posted on 23/1/11 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
MGTF fine but don't touch an MGF as hydroelastic suspension components are impossible to obtain and as yet there is no proven work around.

The famous issue surrounding head gaskets was due to design of the Payne's head gasket the sealer tracks of which tend to wilt with age and the number of cold start cycles the engine was subject to. It was made worse by a number of installation issues --- minor leaks, thermostat design, front to rear coolant pipe corrosion and a temperature gauge that was as useful as a chocolate teapot in hell, air-locking if any coolant was lost and also driving issues; MG & Freelanders tended to be driven hard from a cold start to a much greater extend than Rovers.

Those issues are easy to fix
(1) Change the head gasket (only part required is the gasket).
(2) Fit the PRRT thermostat
(3) Fit a temperature gauge.
(4) Fit the stainless steel front to rear coolant pipes sold by Rimmers and others.

[Edited on 23/1/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

big_wasa

posted on 23/1/11 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
I still want one.
redscamp

posted on 23/1/11 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
when i look at a mgf i see two metro front subframes, even if its not.
fazerruss

posted on 23/1/11 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
We had a TF for nearly two years. Cracking little car. Was best to drive with the top down on a sunny day. You felt like it was more than a MG. Didnt have an issue with pedals either and im also size11. It did over 40000 miles with out any brake downs. Just had an anoying engine malfunction light that come on now and again idicating a miss fire but engine ran sweet. Still on original head gasket when we sold it at 72k miles. Suspension was a bit hard though for our liking and build quality was no worse than main stream cars.

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

Simon

posted on 23/1/11 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
When it was in production, it was the best selling sportscar in the UK, bar none. Says it all really.

ATB

Simon

Marcus

posted on 23/1/11 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I really miss our TF, took us to Cannes a couple of years ago and was nothing short of brilliant. We only sold it cos wifey decided she wanted a sprog. I still see the car round Doncaster too. It's true you feel you sit on it rather than in it, but that seemed to be the low set steering wheel. You soon get used to it though.
Did you know Clarkson had one too rather than the expected MX5 / MR2 options. (probably more of a reason to avoid!!)

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 23/1/11 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
I really miss our TF, took us to Cannes a couple of years ago and was nothing short of brilliant. We only sold it cos wifey decided she wanted a sprog. I still see the car round Doncaster too. It's true you feel you sit on it rather than in it, but that seemed to be the low set steering wheel. You soon get used to it though.
Did you know Clarkson had one too rather than the expected MX5 / MR2 options. (probably more of a reason to avoid!!)

The word there is HAD, by his own admission if he sells one you buy one

britishtrident

posted on 23/1/11 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
The real MG TF

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.