Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help with header tank location
carlknight1982

posted on 25/1/11 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Help with header tank location

I have a Rover header tank, nice and compact but im struggling to position it, i really really dont want to put it on the scuttle im hoping to get the header tank down near the front of the engine on the O/S (Running a pinto in a haynes roadster chassis.

Am I correct in thinking that as long as the header tank is above the water pump i should be ok?

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

tomgregory2000

posted on 25/1/11 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Highest point in the water system!

Not just higher than the pump.

I have mine fitted under my nose cone, nice and tidy and the highest piont in the system!

blakep82

posted on 25/1/11 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
the cap should really be the highest poit in the system, so above the cylinder head and radiator.

IMO i'm not sure its a problem to have it a bit lower when the engines running though

without wanting to confuse matters and stuff, i think with some simple changes to header tanks, they could be put anywhere in the system, high or low. the small pipe in the top of a header tnak, if that was near the bottom of the tank, air from radiator and thermostat breathers, air enters the tank, and bubbles up out of the coolant. air is trapped in the tank with nowhere to go.
the air can't enter the cylinder head or radiator and cause any problems with heat soak, if either of them cool and the coolant volume shrinks, they only suck coolant back in. i wonder why they're not done like that?

[Edited on 25/1/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Kriss

posted on 25/1/11 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have mine in the skuttle.

Had issues with the cap failing and would hate to mess around with filling and checking levels etc by having to release the nose cone

britishtrident

posted on 25/1/11 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I would strongly advise against it as sooner or later it will airlock.

[Edited on 25/1/11 by britishtrident]

carlknight1982

posted on 25/1/11 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
so if i get the top of the cap in line with the same height as the rocker box I should be ok? defintately want to keep the scuttle as minimal as possible

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

rallyingden

posted on 25/1/11 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Defo at highest point......... at least for filling & bleeding.
Toyota Celica's have a removable header tank that you have to raise on a bracket to fill and bleed the system then you put tha cap back on and lower it down out of the way af the bonnet.

RD

[Edited on 25/1/11 by rallyingden]

[Edited on 25/1/11 by rallyingden]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.