Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding Courses
Alfa145

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Welding Courses

Just looking about for courses to get my welding up to speed but I cant find any courses on the old interweb.

Any one know of any courses around Chesterfield? I've contacted Chesterfield College but new courses dont start till September and I'm not interested in a qualification just the training.

Cheers...

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Telford college in edinburgh doing a good course starting in a few weeks

tegwin

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I did a welding course at a local(ish) tech college...

To be quite honest I did not learn anything that I could not have figured out by simply buying a proper welder, reading the manual and practicing.......

Having a decent (non hobby machine) and setting it up correctly will make you a "good" welder very quickly...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Alfa145

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Telford college in edinburgh doing a good course starting in a few weeks

Thanks but thats not quite around Chesterfield, but might be useful to people in Edinburgh though...

[Edited on 25/1/11 by Alfa145]

[Edited on 25/1/11 by Alfa145]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Martin Keenan does welding training, not a cheap option, but I bet, just a few hours with him, and you would be a expert

http://www.mkengineering.co.uk/weldertraining.htm

Alfa145

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Martin Keenan does welding training, not a cheap option, but I bet, just a few hours with him, and you would be a expert

http://www.mkengineering.co.uk/weldertraining.htm

Yeah, After seeing how well he welded the manifold of my old V6 he's my fall back option if I cant find a sensible local course.

Andi

posted on 25/1/11 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Melton Mowbray college do 3 month Wednesday evening course. 7-9pm (or 10 cant remember now) .. But may be a bit far. 40 odd miles.
Not sure when they start as the start dates seem a bit random.
Its all hands on stuff though no classrooms and you get to have a go at all types of welding or just one of your choice.

Andi

Peteff

posted on 25/1/11 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
What kind of welding are you looking for. Have you got a welder and gas or do you want to have a go with something to see what you want?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

40inches

posted on 26/1/11 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Chesterfield College stopped doing the practical Saturday courses after the finance
was pulled I went for 3 years during the summer breaks.

bodger

posted on 26/1/11 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I was looking at doing a tig course last night at our local college in Sussex. I did the Mig one just over a year ago & it cost £190 'cos they got a big subsidy from the gov't. Same course now is £300
At £190 it was good value considering the amount of gas, metal & wire I got through in 35 hours of welding. (10 weeks x 3.5 hrs). Looks like I'm going to be teaching myself to tig though.
Local welding supplier (SPA Welding), where I get my gas & wire, from very helpful & said they would help me out if I took my set in.
If you don't have any luck with a college, maybe try your local supplier.

pdm

posted on 26/1/11 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Burton college is where I just started - they do a rolling programme of 10 week slots its £210 for everything including the exam.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.