Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Question on the ZZR 1100 engine
phil_far

posted on 29/1/11 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Question on the ZZR 1100 engine

There is tempting offer on a ZZR1100 big bore (200bhp) engine up for sale. What is the general concensus on these engines? Reliability etc...any experiences one could share?

Regards

Philip

imp paul

posted on 29/1/11 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
good engine so it seems .lots have lads have fitted them to all sorts of cars. good bang for your £ if its the right price as are getting old now
Guinness

posted on 29/1/11 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
I've done 7,500 miles in mine, using ZZR1100 engines.

Unfortunatley I'm about to take out the whole lot and go car engined

Ultimatley it's a very capable engine, with a great range of torque and power, decent gearbox and clutch. However they are essentially old stock now.

First engine was bought from a "reliable" engine supplier, fitted and used to get through SVA. Unfortunatley that one wouldn't stay in second gear, so 1-3,4,5,6 and 6,5,4,3-1 tends to kill bike engines. Lasted 1,000 miles

Lost the second engine when an external oil line split (lesson learnt there, replace 15 year old rubber oil lines). 1,500 miles.

Next engine came from ebay, sold as from a running bike. Turned up and the sump was full of grass, so I'm guessing it had been a grasser engine. Cleaned it up and installed it. Ran it for 1,500 miles, before the big end went.

Decided to combine engines 1, 2 and 3. That cost me £120 for a gasket set. Ran this engine for 2,500 miles until the head gasket went. Got the head skimmed and put it back together. Still overheated.

Bought my final engine and ran it last year, but it smokes heavily on overrun, so I've had it.

I don't mean to be nasty about the engines, but unless you have a known engine, with some sort of history, I'd be viewing them as disposable. I think I paid £200-250 per engine, and perhaps if I'd spent more, I'd have bought more reliablity.

I'll post a separate list in the for sale section later, but I'll be selling the exhaust, propshaft, gear change kit, all wiring / electrics and several starters, alternators etc etc.

Mike

Uphill Racer

posted on 30/1/11 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
The ZZR 1100 in my view is a cracking motor, the GPZ sump allows you to get the CofG down as it is weighs more than the latest motors. Its weight isn't a drawback but it strength as extracting power from it don't require silly money spent on it.
A looked after std motor is virtually bullet proof and due to the sump design oil surge when in a car isn't a problem.

jossey

posted on 15/4/11 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
mine was good till it broke.

got another one.

i like it.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.