Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Adding room thermostat to combi boiler
NS Dev

posted on 31/1/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Adding room thermostat to combi boiler

I have a glowworm swiftflow 75 combi boiler, which currently has no room thermostat, just an electromechanical timer built into the front panel of the boiler.

I want to add a room stat to the system, prob a wireless one to make things a tad easier. Presumably I just wire the "boiler end" of the wireless stat setup so that its switching output is in series with the existing timer unit on the boiler, or remove the timer, replace with the new unit and use the timer built into it?

I kinda know the answer to my own question but wanted to know from somebody that's done it!

cheers

Nat

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

daniel mason

posted on 31/1/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
There will be a wired link across the roomstat wires in the boiler, which basically bypasses it. You need to remove the link and wire the stat across the terminals. Eg the live terminal to feed the stat and the return from the stat to the other teminal. If the stat needs a neutral there will also be one in the boiler

NS Dev

posted on 31/1/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
ah ok, well that would be easy! Its a pretty basic boiler so I wasn't sure if it would have been designed for a stat!

will order one and have a look once I have it

cheers

Nat

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

BenB

posted on 31/1/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
There will be a wired link across the roomstat wires in the boiler, which basically bypasses it. You need to remove the link and wire the stat across the terminals. Eg the live terminal to feed the stat and the return from the stat to the other teminal. If the stat needs a neutral there will also be one in the boiler

Yup. Exacta mundi. If there's a timer switch you'll need to wire it in series to the timer.

daniel mason

posted on 31/1/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Electricians do have there uses!

greggors84

posted on 31/1/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Most new thermostats with have options for older and newer boilers, usually high or low voltage switching. Either way it should be just a case of re wiring for the existing timer.

I bought one of these and works great. Has a 5 + 2 day timer and 5 different programs for each day. Also has a freeze protection button so if you go away on holiday it turns off the heating but makes sure it doesnt drop below 5c. Also as it has a timer it means you can get rid of the one on the boiler and it will set the temperature depending on the time of day.

Salus RT500 RF Wireless Digital Room Thermostat RT500RF on eBay (end time 20-Feb-11 15:22:20 GMT)

[Edited on 31/1/2011 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

NS Dev

posted on 1/2/11 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
looks good and cheaper than the ones I was looking at at screwfix and toolstation, will order one in a tick!

Thanks all very much indeed!

[Edited on 1/2/11 by NS Dev]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.