Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage Doors
bodger

posted on 2/2/11 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Garage Doors

I'm thinking or doing something about my big drafty rusting heat radiator or garage door as it's sometimes called. Looking at replacement options, metal isn't great as we live by the sea, fibreglass is nice & insulating but expensive so thinking of good old fashioned wooden doors. Can anyone recommend a good supplier? Don't want to be paying out silly money & I'll fit them myself 'cos the frame is rotten & needs replacing anyway. My only concern with wood is that softwood is going to move/warp a bit leading to a dodgy fit & more drafts & hardwood ain't cheap. Any ideas?
big_wasa

posted on 2/2/11 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Check out any building sites near you.

My mate picked up two last summer with very minor marks for £50

Chaddy

posted on 2/2/11 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
I made mine, see pic in photo archive, they cost about £80 per pair, made from soft wood frame and marine ply centre, they do expand and contract a bit so if you make them in the summer make room for expansion.
Humbug

posted on 2/2/11 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
To avoid wood rot, couldn't you rub, prime and repaint the metal doors then fix insulation to the inside? I'm sure I have seen other threads on this and the answer was usually something like polystyrene foam, loft foam in plastic, or something of the kind. Then you would just have to replace the frame.
loggyboy

posted on 2/2/11 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
I would expect its the seal around the door that would be the prime source of the heat loss, get some brushes around edges before you fork out on a new door.
bodger

posted on 2/2/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yep its definitely a bit drafty in there but the current door is an up & over type, the frame is completely rotten & the misses likes the idea of the wooden swing out ones cos they look nice. I did think of sticking some celotex on the inside if I can find some going cheap. I've just spent the afternoon knocking up a wooden gate for the side passage so it wouldn't take too long to make a couple of doors I suppose.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.