Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: I'm thinking of selling up (an idea of worth)
bigpig

posted on 6/2/11 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'm thinking of selling up (an idea of worth)

I've now got to the point with work that I've no longer got time to finish the job and I need to get a car for work. The Indy is not suitable for my other hobby so I can't realistically use it as a weekend toy even. On top of that I've really not got the time to sort out the IVA test & the nightmare of the DVLA, I was planning to pass it on to someone else to do the testing for me, but I need to get transport for work sorted out now. With the amount of stop, starts on the build I've got to the point where I've lost the will to continue.

I've got the pictures at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.l.halford/My_MK_Indy_Build/Welcome.html. They were a bit of a rush and since then I've changed the seats and done some bits based on MK's advice.

Its built and as far as I'm aware the following jobs are needed prior to the IVA test:
Wheel alignment
Calibrate the speedo
Drill out the breather pipe for the tank (I originally had a breather in the filler pipe, but as the rubber was perished I put a new pipe in).

The build consists of:
MK Indy deluxe kit (Red), the roll bar welded on and additionally black powder coated chassis and additional rear wheel carrier. MK front grille (put behind a plastic grill for IVA safety).
MK ally tank with quick release non drip fuel couplings.
MK Seats with Carbon Fibre inserts, on runners
Sikaflex and riveted underside ally
Ford 1.8 donor with V5 & VIN plates
Reconditioned front hubs and brakes
The rear wheel cylinders are reduced size as mentioned in other threads to balance the braking effort (I've not tested the brake balance yet) the rear drums are 2.0 sized ones if I recall (bought them reconditioned)
Basic ally side panels Sikaflex'ed on with a few guide rivets (this was done to prevent water ingress if I ever drove it in the rain)
Bolted on side panels
I've respray the front wings BMW cosmic black as I didn't like the red (I originally ordered black and got red).
Acewell digital dash
Pinto 205(?) engine with GBS motorcycle carbs and filter. Type 9 gearbox and I think 3.6 ratio diff. It runs on the usual electric dizzy. Sierra alternator moved with a bracket.
Silicone water hoses, header on the bulkhead, temperature sensor in line to control the electric fan.
GBS radiator (I have an MK one as well spare to include).
GBS exhaust, modified - Shorted pipe to use the end can as amid box and an R1 can on the end. This significantly reduced the noise
GBS wiring loom modified for additional wiring and better feed to the alternator.
Wozzer's wishbones on the front (I still have the originals)
Set of 7 alloys, 4 with tyres (a couple have marks on). I bought an additional 3 wheels (no tyres) that match (it was the last of their stock) that lot cost me about £600
Aero screen.
I've carpeted the interior (but not that well).
About a million miles of convoluted tubing and edging used in the build (as Autotrim are only a few miles away) that lot must have cost me around £100 alone.
A trailer I bought of ebay for 700 quid with 4 tie downs (cost an additional 80). It an old beast from the 60's which underwent an overhaul before I bought it, just fits the MK snugly (which was important for me to get it in the garage) so it can all be carted away with minimal fuss.
The "stickers" on the side of the body are because I put the indicators on the side and had to move them to the rear wings for IVA. They cover up the holes I cut. I was going to properly sort them, but for the IVA did that as a work around.
I think all in it probably cost me around £6K so far and probably more given all the bits I've bought over the last 3 years.
I've got the build photos and lots of receipts. MK gave the photos a look over and said on the whole it looks IVA friendly, they commented on the original seats so I bought some MK ones. Unfortunately I'm physically too big to get in them (my already naff hip joints are really squeezed in them). Height wise I'm fine, but since I've gone to 19stone I'm just too overweight.

I'm after honest opinions on what its worth. I now there has been a lot of controversy on prices going on in other threads so I thought I'd start and get it all over with here first I would have thought at first stab around £3500 considering the trailer, which is about what I spent on bits from MK alone.

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2751
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 6/2/11 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Linky dinky

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.l.halford/My_MK_Indy_Build/Welcome.html

[Edited on 6/2/11 by CRAIGR]

bigpig

posted on 6/2/11 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I'm a bit poo at doing stuff at the moment. Stuck writing up annual appraisals of my team which seems to have left me devoid of any technical skills.... I'll be doing power point presentations next
snapper

posted on 6/2/11 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Your 2 big problems are that an IVA for the next builder will involve stripping a lot of the car down and photographing different stages for IVA proof of build and the not very popular 1.8 Pinto.
It would really be worth you going to the next level and IVA it
Some of the photos in your archive look a bit ropey, sikafex, chipped paint and is that copper grease near the gearbox mount?
The nearly finished stage is the worst time to sell, why not do the last bits and IVA.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

bigpig

posted on 6/2/11 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Its a 2.0 pinto I've got in the car (the donor was a 1.8 but I bought an engine from another builder).

I have a whole host of build photos from the build, I would have thought that should suffice for amateur build status as I'm not a professional builder (else wouldn't people who build with a friend have problems?). To be honest though, I'm basing this on common sense not VOSA's opinion.

At one point I decided to take a bit job of cleaning up the build and re-did some of it so I really should re-photograph parts which were dirty and see what they look like (it would be a good idea for me at least, so I can see what I've missed). On the underside, I was going through a phase of putting a blob of sikaflex on the head of every rivet to ensure a water resistant seal, which I guess on second thoughts was a bit OTT.

I think work is going to put the IVA stage is at least a year. I was planning to put in for the test in February (hence buying the trailer) but I just don't have the time. I've sued up the last of this years leave trying to sort out the day to day car

Thanks for the input though.

chunky2772

posted on 6/2/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ive spent about 9k building my haynes roadster and i now wish i never started the project. Dvla dont want these cars on the road mate thats why there makeing it harder and more exspensive to get them through this test.
I think its a shame hope you get a good price for it. I'd rather burn my car than give it away!

Neil Kirkpatrick

posted on 24/2/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
That has to be the untidtiest build I have ever seen and has near put me off building a kit car, no harm or disrespect intended.

That car needs stripped down and rebuilt

Sorry if this seems harsh

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.