Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rover p6 v8
mogman1969

posted on 10/2/11 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
rover p6 v8

hi guys , come across a 73 rover p6 3.5 stick shift , it seems compleat and comes with two trailers of spares , 5 new tires (of the correct rating ) so if your looking for a donor this could be yours for a mere £350 . 07833148139
britishtrident

posted on 10/2/11 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Problem would be the only major component of any use is the engine ---- gearbox just wasn't up to the job and the front and rear suspension were odd ball designs.
02GF74

posted on 10/2/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
..... and of that, it is the block, crank and pistons, sump, inlet manifold, carbs and water pump that would be of use.

The heads have smaller diameter valves and not suitable for unleaded (these engines were meant to ron on 5-star so have high CR pistons), front and rear crank seals are of the "rope"* type i.e. crap and leak and oil pump is the lower capacity. Later heads can be fitted but omitting the 5th cylinder bolt and the later SD1 timing cover can be fitted for the higher capcity of oil pump, the distributor modified for the different drive. (you can ofcourse use the original but there are better parts availalble).

* anyone want rope seal then u2u me, I have but of no use so FOC.

see what I did there about the ron? uninentional but I left it is as quite poingnant, even if I cannot spell poigniangnant.

mogman1969

posted on 10/2/11 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
and there was me thinking cheap v8 lol
mogman1969

posted on 10/2/11 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
isnt the rear suspention de dion tho ?
rusty nuts

posted on 10/2/11 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
De Dion rear suspension, inboard rear discs and as BT says an oddball front suspension with horizontal coil springs. Out of all of the cars I've had one P6 3500s in particular was my favourite car .
Paul_C

posted on 10/2/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
They say that true love is blind and my first car was a tatty 1975 Rover P6 3500S. Bought in 1980, crashed in 1984. I swore that I would never have another Rover but still have a longing for another one ever since conveniently forgetting all the problems!

I agree with British Trident the 4 speed gearbox is weak. I broke one.
The mechanics have got to be shot and the suspension unusable. The rear is weird De Dion.

The later ones had a reduced compression ratio and mine was OK on 4 star. They might be OK on unleaded because they have inserted valve seats I beleive. I think that only the early ones have the rope type oil seal and the later ones used a lip seal according to my workshop manual. Mind you it will be knackered by now.

The engine isn't very powerful. The SD1 had larger SU Carbuerettors, better heads etc and only developed a claimed 155 bhp. As for the handling ooh dear definitely bad.

My head says that a modern 2 litre will be a better choice and would leave a Rover 3500S behind but my heart still wants one.

rusty nuts

posted on 10/2/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Your probably right about the modern 2 lt but there's no way they sound as good!!
mogman1969

posted on 12/2/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
my thoughts excatly , and the plus side of being distinkly low tech , the shells better than alot iv seen , but we are talking donor here for a locost ......

interestedparty

posted on 12/2/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Who cares if the manual gearbox is weak, if you are getting a P6 the auto is the one to have. PAS is good too (not fitted to all of them).

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

plantman

posted on 12/2/11 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
isnt the water pump 4 and a half foot long aswell?
rusty nuts

posted on 12/2/11 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
Who cares if the manual gearbox is weak, if you are getting a P6 the auto is the one to have. PAS is good too (not fitted to all of them).

Not IMHO The auto car tends to be a lot cheaper

mogman1969

posted on 13/2/11 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plantman
isnt the water pump 4 and a half foot long aswell?

wow ......................

Paul_C

posted on 13/2/11 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with rusty nuts that the V8 sound is way better than a modern 2 litre.

In the P6 V8 the water pump is quite short. I know I changed one a couple of times.

In the SD1 the V8 was fitted into an engine bay that could take a longer straight six, the 2300 and 2600. To bridge the gap between the front of the water pump and the back of the radiator the V8 water pump spindle was extended by a few inches.

The 3 speed auto box must really sap power, the road test 0 to 60 mph time was around 10 seconds. The manual was about 1 second quicker.

The Power Assisted Steering box is variable ratio and light, road feel is almost non existant.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.