Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New project idea - thoughts
Miks15

posted on 18/2/11 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
New project idea - thoughts

Hi Guys,

Just thought i share my next idea with you guys, ive been thinking about it quite alot, despite i wont actually do it until the current car is finished obviously!

Basically the idea is to take a mk3 Capri, and transplant the engine, box and running gear from a jag s type 3.0. The engine from standard will give 240 BHP, but ill be running ITBs, new engine management new exhaust etc so will hopefully get a bit more from it. By running gear i will use the diff, hubs shafts etc and make my own new lighter subframe both front and rear to optimise the geometry (will obviously do some reading up on this before i just jump in and do it).
This will give me a wider track than the original capri and this is perfect as i will then put some fat arches over it. I will also lose all the plastic bumper strips and everyhting, clean it all up, get some projector headlightsm some nice LED rear lights and genrally moderize it but without losing the general capri shape etc (as i love it!).
Interior wise i want it to be comfortable and practical so it can be used everyday still so some sporty but comfrotable seating.

Obviously exact details are still a long way off but i cant stop thinking about doing this.

Whats everyones thoughts?

r1_pete

posted on 18/2/11 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Go for it, modernising old cars is great fun, sod the rivet counting anoracks. I did an MGB with Zetec and bike carbs, otherwise standard looking but with aftermarket suspension, leaving the boy racers standing is great fun.

I'd do the mechanics 1st, run it over the summer, then do the bodywork.

We need plenty of pictures, and if you decide not to do it you will spend the rest of your life wishing you had

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/2/11 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
sounds cool

glad your going to swap the running gear as that big engine in a capri with the capri's rear axle would be scary

Would probaly look nice if not too OTT bodywork wise unless you want to make it look like a race car but alot of the lines of the capri get lost once it reaches that level

I notice there is some new mags in the shops for retro cars, I try to stay away from them for my Bluebirds safety!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 18/2/11 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
I like the idea if you can get a clean enough Capri shell to start with!

Pete - what was involved in the MGB- Zetec project? I could quite fancy one of them but I am slightly put off by the fact that even the newest original MGB shell would be 35 years old or so by now, and I have no skills/interest in have to weld a body or get it patched up.

Also, what suspension mods did you do? I have heard that NG do/did some useful suspension kits for their MG-based cars that can also be used on the MGs themselves

Cheers

Simon

oooh! Just seen some nasty looking "Before" pics of MG tinworm in your archive... then some nice clean and shiny mended ones!

[Edited on 18.02.2011 by Humbug]

Miks15

posted on 18/2/11 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
wow encouraging so far... was kind of hoping some one would say its a bad idea, would stop me searching for capris and crashed s types!

With regards to bodywork the extend will mainly be losing the plastic bumpers and smooting all the holes out on the bumper, mabye a slight front lip. Rear end again just smoothed out with twin exhausts done clean to the bodywork. Then just wide arches. Basicallly my inspiration started when going through the retro power website looking at their projects. The MK1 capri they did looks fantastic and a great read through (NS Dev if youre reading you guys did an amazing job, looks stunning!)

and for some reason the only engine that makes sense to me in that car is a V6. Thinking of keeping it ford i looked into the duratec V6s, but the ones in fords didnt really seem up to it. Then more searching showed the s type had the 3 liter version with even more power standard than the fords. Looking on the bay s types with crash damage fetch between 1-2k, so perfect, can sell all i dont need to recoup costs.

God i need to put this enthusiasm in to the current car first! ha

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/2/11 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I had a red/orange Mk1 capri, well good looking car but you do need to look for rust as they were never very good in that respect

Sounds a great project. I like the fact that the older cars are getting a look in now, for a while is was just shopping trolleys with hidious body kits that you'd see

r1_pete

posted on 18/2/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ford did build a Mercury Capri, which was a MK1 with a Mustang V8 in it, a 302CI IIRC, now a replica of one of those would be cool.

BTW the Mk3 bumpers are steel with clip on plastic ends, so easy to weld into the body for a subtle look.

r1_pete

posted on 18/2/11 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Ford did build a Mercury Capri, which was a MK1 with a Mustang V8 in it, a 302CI IIRC, now a replica of one of those would be cool.

Rewind that, it was a South Africa only model, tagged Piranha, it was a 302 V8 though.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/2/11 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
is this the car?

Miks15

posted on 18/2/11 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
That looks nice, although for some reason a v8 just doesn't seem right in a capri! V6 is the only option for me. I do like the body on that though. Simple wide arches, and I'm almost certain on minilites aswell
MikeCapon

posted on 18/2/11 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
When I was a sprog me dad, who worked for Ford, had one of the very first Capris, a 1600 GT with the XLR pack. Black bonnet and all. CWC225G. I remember this car because of another Capri.

The neighbor came by and asked my dad if he could try the car. I, 11 years old and short trousers, went with him. Now my dad was a reasonable driver. Safe and steady. The neighbor was a complete nutter. I remember him getting just over 100mph out of it. I was a very quiet passenger.

On his return to our house he gave the keys back to my dad and said words along the lines of "Not bad but a bit gutless"

Nest week he went to Crayford Conversions and commisioned a 5 litre Mustang engined Capri. Red metallic and it sounded bloody gorgeous every time he drove past our house which was at least twice a day.

For that reason I've always had a seriously soft spot for them.......

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/2/11 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I actually have a very good condition low mileage 2.8 capri injection engine looking for a good home...

Miks15

posted on 18/2/11 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
If the locost was finished is be considering, unfortunately can't be spending much money at the minute
r1_pete

posted on 18/2/11 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Must admit I love V8s, if the E Type's straight six ever goes pop, its getting a USA or Audi V8, cany justify it now though as the previous owner spent £11K on a rebuild
Miks15

posted on 18/2/11 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Don't get me wrong I love v8s but in the right cars, some cars scream out for a big v8 to be fitted, others not so much
designer

posted on 18/2/11 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
In my youth I have a Cologne Capri Replica with a 3 litre V6.

It was awesome!!!

Fred W B

posted on 18/2/11 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thats not a Piranha.......

This is a Piranha - race version, road cars had standard fenders

Cheers

Fred W B

21 st ford
21 st ford

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Miks15

posted on 18/2/11 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
now that is a tasty looking car!

I can tell by the replys that there is a lot of love for capris which im glad about! Just hope if i do start this project at some point i can do it justice!

r1_pete

posted on 18/2/11 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Are you getting those subliminal messages yet... VVVVvvvvv 8 VVVVVvvvv 8
Miks15

posted on 18/2/11 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry but my mind is set on a v6! And bare in mind it'll be at least mid/end of summer when and if it happens
big_wasa

posted on 18/2/11 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
I love the idea. What puts me of an older car is the rust you have to sort first. My next project will have a log book before I start.
r1_pete

posted on 18/2/11 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I love the idea. What puts me of an older car is the rust you have to sort first. My next project will have a log book before I start.

Tell me about it, must get some pics loaded up of the Jag with no rear panels on or boot floor, started with bubbling arches, and a few frayed joints.

Ninehigh

posted on 18/2/11 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good, I think if you was doing this in the USA then you would need a V8 but I don't think the Capri over here was really meant for the full "muscle car" treatment

les g

posted on 18/2/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Just google
perana.org
for the full story on the perana v6 and v8 capris
cheers les g

i even managed not to mention that some one wroote piranha (fish )when they meant perana
sorry childish moment

Miks15

posted on 18/2/11 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not too bothered about a bit of rust, i will try to get a good shell originally but all the arches will be getting cut back and widened so don't mind a bit of rust around the wings. It will be getting completely stripped back so it will all be accessible to sort out.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.