Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: well it had to happen at some point.
omega 24 v6

posted on 19/2/11 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
well it had to happen at some point.

After building the car and having a pain free sva/ dvla registration process I came to tax the car last year.
Reminder said MOT rqd but online went through it all and taxed the car no problem. This years reminder is in and again " needs Mot" but car was built in 2009 so no it does not but this time online " computer says no"
so we try the phone option " computer says no"
so way call dvla and they say " computer says no"
I explain the problem and my reasoning and they say " computer says no"
I need a manager says I, but no says them you need to speak to vosa.
No says me, vosa don't tax the car dvla does. Ah but vosa can tell you what to do to solve your problem says them,
Ok says i they say I need to fill in a v112 and go to a post office. Will that be suffice says I, dunno says them cause we don't know cause computer says no mot no tax.
You could try a main line post office they might know. Ok says I but why does the help line at dvla not know what to tell me so that I know what to do.
Cause " the system says no as we've already discussed says them.
Is there any way you could be more helpfull says me, yes says them speak to vosa.
Can't you speak to vosa says me, no says them it's not our place. But says I if they tell me it can be taxed and i come back to you and say it's your problem then what? Well sir you need to speak to vosa first.

So next step is armed with a v112 to the post office and see what happens.

And to top it all we are paying for this NON SERVICE.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Thurbs

posted on 19/2/11 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Find a nice wall a beat your head against it !!!!
I feel your pain

mrwibble

posted on 19/2/11 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
could just get it moted?
omega 24 v6

posted on 19/2/11 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yep or I could just burn another £50 quid note cause that's what your suggesting.
Point is it does not need it.

BenB

posted on 19/2/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Send the money, a V112 and an application for MOT recorded delivery to the local office. They're lazy, if it's a toss up between just giving the tax disc or actually ringing you to discuss it in my experience they do the first Obviously if you go in person it's easier for them to say no...
RichardK

posted on 19/2/11 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Never had a problem doing the v112 thing mate the 3 times I've done it at 3 different post offices, I have taken the v5 with me just in case and only once did I have to show them the date first reg in the uk.

Don't worry It'll be fine, just download the form and its sections 1 & 3 if I remember correctly.

Rich

[Edited on 19/2/11 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 19/2/11 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a right bugger... I'd be going mental!! Hope you get it sorted soon

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
rf900rush

posted on 19/2/11 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I MOT'D mine during the 1st three years without knowing I did not need to.

Even though I wasted time and money on the mot's, It may well of saved me and/or my car.
The fisrt MOT found a fault I have over looked.

Having someone else checking over a car is not a bad thing.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 19/2/11 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem - Tax reminder said MOT needed - couldn't renew online but went into the PO with the V5, pointed out it was less than 3 years old and got the tax disc no probs.
Benzine

posted on 19/2/11 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
I had the same problem - Tax reminder said MOT needed - couldn't renew online but went into the PO with the V5, pointed out it was less than 3 years old and got the tax disc no probs.

I did this too ^ I first went to a big post office and they said they couldn't, then I went to a small village one where the chap who ran it knew what he was doing

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Paul (Notts)

posted on 19/2/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Did mine last week. Same situation. Went to the ( local small ) post office with a V112, They looked at at and said whats one of these?, I explained and showed them my V5 .

They then said Oh well, never seen one before but as its under 3 yeays we will overide the computer and issue a tax disc.

Paul

[Edited on 19/2/11 by Paul (Notts)]

omega 24 v6

posted on 19/2/11 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
It'll get taxed one way or another it just boils my P*ss that some people are no help at all under any circumstance. Mostly I hasten to add civil servant/local/national government types. You are just met with the
not my job.
not my department
not my problem
etc etc
AND WE PAY THEIR WAGES

Come the revolution people come the revolution

Richard Quinn

posted on 19/2/11 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I went through that and then went to a main post office complete with V112 and I was still told I needed an MOT. I asked to speak to the manager who then came and looked at the forms and issued a tax disc. Turns out he's got an old Westfield and a beach buggy!
David Jenkins

posted on 19/2/11 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I went to the local DVLA office - the clerk at the desk didn't know the answer, so went off to find her boss. He came back, said "that's silly" and told the clerk to give me my tax!

Who am I to argue...

omega 24 v6

posted on 22/2/11 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Official reply from VOSA not what many of you will want to hear/see. It also begs the question when do we know if we are road legal or not????

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry dated 19th February 2011, concerning MOT.

Vehicles that have been issued with 'Q' plates generally require their first MOT one year after registration. However, DVLA can insist on a MOT being done at any time prior to this for tax purposes.

Unfortunately, there is no exemption on the V112 for kit cars, so your vehicle will require an MOT before you will be able to tax it.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Robert Evans

VOSA Contact Centre
Operations Directorate
Tel: 0300 123 9000

So I think I might sorn it an only tax for 6 months of the year now. Or sell it.

wicket

posted on 23/2/11 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
[

Unfortunately, there is no exemption on the V112 for kit cars, so your vehicle will require an MOT before you will be able to tax it.

If this is the case how come it not mentioned anywhere on the form then, looks like more nonsense from a government dept !

omega 24 v6

posted on 23/2/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Also now have a reply from the guy I was dealing with at my Local DVLA. He was very good at the time on sva registration and most helpful and knowledgable on the kitcar process. So I have decided to get an MOT and then there will be absolutely no doubt that the car is legal ( as it looks like last year it MAY have not). Yes i could try and get it taxed etc etc BUT at the end of the day all it takes is to get pulled and for the BIB to have reasonable doubt of the legality of your car and it's impounded ( don't get me started on that one LOL). You then would need to waste time and resources arguing a case which you MAY or MAY NOT win in court.

As you can see they admit that they have wrongly stated the info in the V5c but I think you will find that ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law. You are the driver and its up to you to make sure all is legal in the vehicle you drive.

So here is my DVLA guys response

"Hi

Because your car has been registered under a "Q" mark (vehicle of indeterminate age) it does require an MOT.

Your are getting mixed messages because the DVLA record is slightly incorrect- your vehicle should have a First registered in UK date of 24/03/09 and a NO date of first registration.

If you want to tax it here we can send away the V5C to get the records amended, otherwise tax it as normal at the post office and forward your V5C to me and I'll get DVLA Swansea to correct the record.

Sorry it's probably not the result you were looking for but the "Date of First Reg" always causes a problem when it's been incorrectly entered on our records."

[Edited on 23/2/11 by omega 24 v6]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.