Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First start (with the Turbo)
matt_gsxr

posted on 20/2/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
First start (with the Turbo)

This isn't quite the first start, as I had it running to warm up, and previously had it running badly, but its a first-ish.

Still lots to do, i.e. plumb intercooler, put bigger injectors, replace fuel pump, a small manifold leak and some tidying. But I needed the psychological boost of getting the engine going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMsNkczlLUU

Johneturbo

posted on 20/2/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one, gotta love the turbo, what boost will you be running? also good job with the manifold did you mig weld it in the end
roadrunner

posted on 20/2/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one, how much does it roughly cost to go turbo and whats involved, if you don't mind me asking.
Like the toilet roll nice and close to hand in case it went tits up.

owelly

posted on 20/2/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Two cans of WD40, plus gas and a toilet roll.............

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 20/2/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Only just noticed the bog roll, very funny.

Regarding MIG and manifold. Yes, it worked out in the end. Actually it was a real saga and I basically cocked up at every step.

Welding the flange to the pipes is pretty easy, ramming the pipe into the flange, and then welding the inside of the flange was pretty easy (and that is from me who is truly pants at welding).

Welding the collector was a nightmare, it distorts everything, which is a disaster. I cut and welded in new bits to make it fit in the end. Also used brute force to cold bend it. Lots of levers and swearing.

Then, then, once it fit I realised that I had about 20 pin holes where it leaked. So I welded those up, and guess what, it distorted again (primarily because the areas where the pipes kissed had some holes). So then I had to straighten it up again.

So, now it looks like crap and is as heavy as a Pinto, but I've learned a lot, mostly that I am crap at making manifolds. The downpipe is good though!

Matt

matt_gsxr

posted on 20/2/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Nice one, how much does it roughly cost to go turbo and whats involved, if you don't mind me asking.
Like the toilet roll nice and close to hand in case it went tits up.

Not sure on boost. Probably run about 5psi until I get it working properly, then around 10psi, which would give me 250bhp according to my calculators. If I go down to 9:1 cr, and have the big intercooler, then in my world of guesswork I should be good to go. In reality I will end up getting it working, and then turn the boost too high and blow it all up!

Haven't totalled costs yet, but here goes:

I already have megasquirt, was running it fuel injected and have a LC-1 lamba probe, so I can retune on my own (no cost, except the drama).

turbo (volvo T5R), with dump valve £100 e-bay td04-16T

Exhaust stuff:
Stainless bends for manifold 3x135deg £40
Stainless bends for downpipe 2x45deg £30
Flanges (andy off here) £70
Silencer and new end (Jetex) £90
I recycled a stock exhaust too, but these are not expensive (say £40 for a damaged one)
Welding wire and 2 lots of disposable gas.

decompression plate £40

Intercooler stuff:
4x silicon bends £55
1m alloy tube £15
10x hose clips £5
Nissan Pulsar intercooler £20
Nitrile rubber for gasket £10

Air box
Nissan pulsar plenum lid £25
Other odds and sods, free

Fuel
Injectors s2000 £50
Fuel pump Walbro 255lph (this is a replacement for the gsxr1000 pump) £70
Pressure regulator £22 (presently running gsxr1000 intank pump so this is extra)
Fuel return pipe £30 (presently running gsxr1000 intank pump so this is extra)

Total is about £660.
Out accelerating a busa with a 19 year old engine you made yourself, priceless.

Matt

cloudy

posted on 20/2/11 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good, it's something I must get to this year!

How did you choose the turbo may I ask, and why the T5R unit over others?

James

www.warnercars.com

matt_gsxr

posted on 20/2/11 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cloudy,

Any plans to go back to gsxr power? More difficult to hide the turbo in your car than mine though.

the oldskool suzuki site has an extensive force induction section (I suspect you have noticed the site), td04-16T was one that was suggested.

I found this useful calculator (here are some of my guesswork numbers in it http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/ )

You can investigate different turbos using this. I also bought the Graham Bell "forced induction tuning" book, which isn't that good for bike engines as it never mentions them, but does cover some of the principles.

flow map

Matt

p.s. I wanted one of those nice ball bearing turbos from a skyline gtr34 (they run two) but they were too expensive, the td04-16T are pretty common and so cheap.

[Edited on 20/2/11 by matt_gsxr]

RazMan

posted on 20/2/11 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds pretty sweet Matt - are you running any silencer in there or is it straight from the turbo?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 20/2/11 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Sounds pretty sweet Matt - are you running any silencer in there or is it straight from the turbo?

Revs are a bit high on this engine, below 1100rpm it suffers from the lack of counterweights on the crankshaft (ex-sidecar engine). So, it was idling at ~1500 here.

Running a 2.75inch downpipe, that reduces to 2.5inch and then I have a Jetex 5inch x 450mm silencer hidden in the sidepod. Its louder than I really wanted, but shouldn't be a problem for noise tests and might allow a lower idle after a descent plug clearing run. The motorbike guys told me that it would sound like a tractor without a silencer, although they use tiny ones. The good thing is that I save 2kg with this setup over the previous exhaust, which was bigger longer and of heavier gauge.

cloudy

posted on 21/2/11 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Cloudy,

Any plans to go back to gsxr power?

The R1 has been flawless since installation, the GSXR - while more powerful and better geared - required a fair bit of work to keep running - though it was quite a feeling to go so fast using a ~20 year old engine! I'll have a look at the links, but it is goingto be tricky to get the exhausts out, I do now have space behind the seats for the turbo as the fuel tank has been moved, hoping thats doable given enough heat/debris protection!

James

www.warnercars.com

matt_gsxr

posted on 21/2/11 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cloudy

The R1 has been flawless since installation, the GSXR - while more powerful and better geared - required a fair bit of work to keep running -

James

I am using loads of oil at the moment, I think its a leak, about 1litre per 100miles, which is too much.

I need to do a proper rebuild at some point with new gaskets and everything.

cloudy

posted on 21/2/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly the issue I had, I remember turning up to newark and needing a litre bottle after a 100mile journey! It cost nearly as much in oil as it did in fuel, I think it was the stem seals...

James

[Edited on 21/2/11 by cloudy]

www.warnercars.com

matt_gsxr

posted on 21/2/11 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I think its the valve guides on mine (and a leak from the outside too for good measure). The good thing is the boost will stop the oil leaks from the valve seals the other leak is probably because I didn't tighten things up. It saves changing the oil though!

Matt

cloudy

posted on 22/2/11 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Though it does mean that fuel will be seeping into the crankcase and diluting the oil! I think i'd rather the oil leaks out!

James

www.warnercars.com

welderman

posted on 22/2/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
This post is not good, i want to boost again

Looking like a good job your doing though Matt

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

matt_gsxr

posted on 17/3/11 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Went out for the second run with the turbo on.

The first run was a disaster as I dropped my bike helmet onto the laptop screen, which cracked and put a swift halt to a tuning session. I only replaced it yesterday. It did highlight that I needed to protect the bonnet from the heat from the turbo.

So today, I drove a short maybe 10mile route at a steady pace collecting data and gradually becoming braver.

The good news, I get boost (5psi spring, which seems to give me 7.5psi at 7krpm). The fueling isn't great at the moment as I am having to build a new table (the old table was Alpha-N, now I am going SD), but that is something to iterate on. The engine is now officially mad. It was mad before from about 7krpm, now it is mad up to 7krpm too! I didn't rev above 7k today, as I want to get fueling approximately right first.

The bad news. Stopped to fill with fuel at the petrol station (still got last years fuel in), and I flattened the battery trying to restart. Mostly this was my fault (flattish battery, careless when turning the lights on as they are HID and so require a blip to avoid the engine cutting out!). So I need to charge it and set up the warm-starting fueling. Nothing too difficult, but I ended up having to walk home to collect a battery which wasn't in the plan. At least my wife got a laugh out of it.

The exhaust sounds nice too.

Matt

adithorp

posted on 18/3/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like it's going to be mental!

Battery woes sound famiilar. I thought you'd got past that?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

cloudy

posted on 18/3/11 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic - hope to see it out at some shows this year!

James

www.warnercars.com

matt_gsxr

posted on 22/3/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like I blew the head gasket, which explains the poor starting (hence flat battery).

Ordering parts, but this was only a test engine anyway!

I think the battery problems were due to it being low in the first place, and the inevitable stop start you get when setting up the tuning.

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.